E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #161
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member

My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
Goodluck man!!!

hey btw is this the same kit from leatherZ??
how did you get the gauges to fit there??

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #162
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
^^^ I had this panel custom made.....if there is enough interest, I can get a batch run.

Well the issue with the gauges was just swappingthem on the sedning unit. They then worked fine, until I turned on my headlights, then the temp gauge pinned, and the pressure gauge goes to zero...something is odd.

More importantly, I drove it! WOW does it pull.

I have an SES light so I will pull the code too see what it is, pretty bummed about that. I disconnected the battery for awhile but the SES light stayed on, must be in memory???
Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #163
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
^^^ I had this panel custom made.....if there is enough interest, I can get a batch run.

Well the issue with the gauges was just swappingthem on the sedning unit. They then worked fine, until I turned on my headlights, then the temp gauge pinned, and the pressure gauge goes to zero...something is odd.

More importantly, I drove it! WOW does it pull.

I have an SES light so I will pull the code too see what it is, pretty bummed about that. I disconnected the battery for awhile but the SES light stayed on, must be in memory???
Where are you tapping your source voltage from?
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #164
fmzip

Code was 19 0A 12......Coolant Temp, I was low on coolant which must have set it off. 12 is exhaust camshaft position sensor....I think that may be an old code since I know I replaced that sensor, either on this car or my 01 530.......so I think all is good!

On to the gauges...

Since this is a used TS2, do I have to go the 200 mile break in, the break in is for the TS2, not my engine, correct?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #165
fmzip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAed330 View Post
Where are you tapping your source voltage from?
I followed Todd's install from his site, since I don't have an ashtray, I used the brown ground wire for the cig lighter, the little gray and brown wire for the 12 V source for the Lamps, and fuse number 6. From what I just noticed, my fuse 6 is labeled cabrio soft top, obviously not the same as Todd's.

What's odd is if I pull that wire on fuse 6 and turn on the lights, the gauges still pin???? I am in the garage as I type, so any ideas, let me know!

Thanks
Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #166
HighBoostin330

Quote:
I followed Todd's install from his site, since I don't have an ashtray, I used the brown ground wire for the cig lighter, the little gray and brown wire for the 12 V source for the Lamps, and fuse number 6. From what I just noticed, my fuse 6 is labeled cabrio soft top, obviously not the same as Todd's.

What's odd is if I pull that wire on fuse 6 and turn on the lights, the gauges still pin???? I am in the garage as I type, so any ideas, let me know!

Thanks
Well I just thought that you tapped a wire that has fluctuating voltages should the conditions change, such as you pressing a certain button and what not. But that does not seem to be the case. I think Stuart suggested that it might be a grounding problem?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #167
fmzip

And the answer is.........

If you look at my wiring, the red wires should be ground and the black wires should be 12V......

I obbviously rushed on this, followed Todds pics only, didn't even look at the marking on the spade lugs!!

All is good!

Need to slap on the front bumper and I think I am done! Dyno coming soon!

So yes/no to the break in period???
Old 04-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #168
HighBoostin330

Quote:
And the answer is.........

If you look at my wiring, the red wires should be ground and the black wires should be 12V......

I obbviously rushed on this, followed Todds pics only, didn't even look at the marking on the spade lugs!!

All is good!

Need to slap on the front bumper and I think I am done! Dyno coming soon!

So yes/no to the break in period???
Awesome you figured it out.

I don't believe there should be a break-in as the previous owner should have broken in the supercharger already. Just drive it a bit easy for the first 50 miles or so.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #169
fmzip

Hard to stay out of it!!! It is so smooth....I can see how people become boost junkie's, I already want more!

I feel like a little kid again!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #170
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
it is addictive - btw, I found that I had to wire the lighting to a switched 12v so the gauges were fully lit and I could still have the interior lighting at the lowest setting....at the lowest with the grey wire controlling the gauge lighting i couldnt see the gauges.... at their brightest (12v switched constant) they match the lowest setting on the other lighting

you should be fine - I was told part of the break in was for the dme to learn the new air and fuel curves...or driving style...or something...damn, I cannot believe how many of these little details I have forgotten over the past year

my biggest problem is the power pulls all the way to when the rev limiter kicks in - the motor just seems to want to keep going...so if I am not paying attention...i hit the limiter when being aggressive against another car
Old 04-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #171
HighBoostin330

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
it is addictive - btw, I found that I had to wire the lighting to a switched 12v so the gauges were fully lit and I could still have the interior lighting at the lowest setting....at the lowest with the grey wire controlling the gauge lighting i couldnt see the gauges.... at their brightest (12v switched constant) they match the lowest setting on the other lighting

you should be fine - I was told part of the break in was for the dme to learn the new air and fuel curves...or driving style...or something...damn, I cannot believe how many of these little details I have forgotten over the past year

my biggest problem is the power pulls all the way to when the rev limiter kicks in - the motor just seems to want to keep going...so if I am not paying attention...i hit the limiter when being aggressive against another car
That is true. When I had my centrifugal, when I felt it pushing the hardest, I knew I was close to redline. With this, it is deceiving. Good thing for rev limiters.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #172
sheefo2k
OEM ///Member

My Ride: vrm psh - 02 325ci
dont i m soo happy!! i miss the days when I put in my kit.

It was so much ****ing fun!! lol

BTW post more pictures of your gauge panel and I might be very intrested.

Performance BMW car
Sponsored by :
www.euro-spec.net
www.bimmian.com
BMW Motorwerks

support:

www.vmwerks.com
www.esstuning.com
www.my330i.com
sheefo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:39 AM   #173
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
I'ld be interested. LeatherZ told me they wouldn't do any more custome panels like that.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #174
fmzip

Quote:
it is addictive -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAed330 View Post
That is true. When I had my centrifugal, when I felt it pushing the hardest, I knew I was close to redline. With this, it is deceiving. Good thing for rev limiters.
I agree, the pull never stops......I found the rev limiter immediately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
I'ld be interested. LeatherZ told me they wouldn't do any more custome panels like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheefo2k View Post
BTW post more pictures of your gauge panel and I might be very intrested.
I'll post some more pics, Not really sure what more you'd like to see, just let me know. The panel was fabricated out of aluminum on the latest CNC, I sprayed it a textured flat black which blends very well with the factory dash components.

I guess you could wrap it in leather but to be honest, that's what I didn't like about the leatherz one. I'd rather the piece look plastic like the rest of the dash to be unobtrusive.

It appears that leatherz makes their pieces out of wood from the pic I saw on Todd's website. There is no way to easily make this piece out of anything other than metal which is why leatherz is unwilling to fabricate it. If you look at the pics, the vdo gauges have zero clearance to fit in there.

I still have no idea how Tim made this work from a UUC aluminum gauge panel with a dremel tool. He was the inspiration for me going this route!

If you guys want one, let me know. It will be $75 each finished or bare.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #175
330i ZHP

hmmm, now...what to do with the V1 that is already mounted there
Old 04-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #176
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Ha Ha...Me and my rev-limiter have a love/hate relationship. If I'm not careful I'm gonna wear that sucker out.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #177
fmzip

Quote:
hmmm, now...what to do with the V1 that is already mounted there
Get the Stealthone while they are still producing it!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:10 PM   #178
fmzip

Here's a bit more detail on the gauge panel, let me know what else you guys would like to see
Old 04-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #179
330i ZHP

it does look good - here is the modded ashtray I make and sell to other e46 fanatics....maybe I will do your mod in the wagon...oops, did i just let the next trick out of the bag?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #180
fmzip

I saw your concealed display in your ashtray, it looks great. I already had my bass control knob hidden in there, now I need a place to mount that!

I just got my stealthone yesterday, there is one listed on Ebay if you are interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220227348044