E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
NikolaiD

My Ride: 2002 M3C
Send a message via AIM to NikolaiD Send a message via MSN to NikolaiD Send a message via Yahoo to NikolaiD Send a message via Skype™ to NikolaiD
Talking Two tone your interior $7 version.

I haven't seen anyone post door panel paint before (but then again, I am new, I might have missed it). If I am doubleposting please just say that, don't flame
I saw the post by LAFENGAS:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...3&postcount=81
Great DIY on how to cover your door panels.

Now for the guys that don't want to go through all that and want more of a stock look, I recently discovered how well Duplicolor's vinyl paint works.

Here's what I started with:

I bought one can of Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Spray in black from Pep Boys for $6:

Steps one or two can be done in either order, it really doesn't matter if you mask and then clean or clean and then mask, but you'll be able to clean the whole pannel if you do that first.

Step one:
Took off the door pannels (great DIY in the thread I linked to, or just search), used about a dollar worth of masking tape to cover up the leather center piece, sorry no pics there, I had my pannels inside and my camera was left in the car. I basically cut a piece of newspaper the shape of the leather piece and taped around it and tucked the masking tape underneath it tightly.

Step Two:
This is the most important, even more than the paint itself. It's to clean the surface. Any vinyl protectants or oils on the surface will act as another layer between the vinyl and the paint, so getting rid of all dirt, debree and oils ensures that your paint won't peel or chip. If you do a half-a$$ed job here the paint will look good, but a few monts down the road it might peel and you'll have to re-do it.

Step Three:
Spray. This thing stinks really bad while working with it, so don't do it in a place without good ventilation. Even steady sprays from about 8-10 inches away do the job great. Practice on something else first. All you need is a thin steady layer to cover up the vinyl texture. Theere's a decent video on the duplicolor website on how to spray. It's a demo on seats, but it's the same concept.

Here's the finished look:

The texture itself:

The edges:

I didn't get ANY bleeding over and the paint went in the cracks deep enough that you can't tell it was painted. Saved me drilling the leather layer out and gluing it back together.

I did decide to skip out the speaker, if you do decide to do that, use a dufferent kind of paint, because this will not look even and it will streak on the smooth plastic (and I'm not sure about painting the plastic mesh speaker cover, I think it might come out ugly).

Before doing this practice spraying a lot, too much paint and it'll make it easy to chip nad you'll lose the texture, too little and your original color will peek through. I used a single can for both front panels, you might wanna pick up an extra just in case, or in case you wanna do the rears as well.

Sorry for the pictures, it was about midnight and dark and I didn't have my tripod, so I just took them like that trying to keep a steady hand. I'll try and take more during daytime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door-before.JPG
Views:	1831
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	251544   Click image for larger version

Name:	door-border.JPG
Views:	1092
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	251545   Click image for larger version

Name:	door-after.JPG
Views:	1296
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	251546   Click image for larger version

Name:	door-inside.JPG
Views:	1132
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	251547  

Click image for larger version

Name:	door-texture.JPG
Views:	1087
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	251548  

NikolaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:36 AM   #2
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Exactly what I did. It's amazing, I love that stuff. The best part is, if you get a scratch, just tape off the area and give it one quick spray, BAM, back to new.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:49 AM   #3
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=520842

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
aabond

My Ride: BMW 325i 2004
I wasn't aware that duplicolor was actually good stuff. It looks really great, I've been thinking of doing the same.

How does the black match with the textured black from the dash which is also painted?

If you wouldn't mind, keep us posted as to how it does in the next fews weeks.
aabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
NikolaiD

Send a message via AIM to NikolaiD Send a message via MSN to NikolaiD Send a message via Yahoo to NikolaiD Send a message via Skype™ to NikolaiD
It looks great and the color is pretty much the same as the top of my dashboard which came black. I haven't had any scratches on the vinyl yet.
And... I couldn't take any more pics because it's cold as hell outside and it's snowing...

Old 12-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
sina518

My Ride: E46 M3
alec what did you use to put the door panels back together
sina518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
i have to do this

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
NikolaiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina518 View Post
alec what did you use to put the door panels back together
I don't know what he used, but in my oppinion plastic epoxy would be the way to go if you want to glue them. Home Depot and Lowes have them, and most car stores as well.

Another way is to get short stubby screws and some washers and screw it back together. Both wayscould cause problems (cracking or separation), but you can't do much else if you do take them apart.
That's why I skipped separating the pannels and just masked them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
i have to do this
I did it because after time the tops of the doors had become gray and uncleanable with oil and dirt remains. And the bottoms had black kick marks. This really made it look brand new and improved the car's overall interior appearance.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
sina518

My Ride: E46 M3
^^^ well im prolly going to use duramix or a plastic welder. im afraid ill screw up if i mask it off
sina518 is offline   Reply With Quote