E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
Elwood

My Ride: Mystic '04 330ci
UUC Motorwerks FCABs - long overdue revue.

My front control arm bushings have been shot for a long time now. Unfortunately I’ve had a hard time getting around to doing the install. The game plan was to have them installed early March. But I was given hope that a new product was on the way that would be worth trying >:]. Next thing I knew May had come around, product was delayed. I had a set of BMW FCABs that had been sitting around waiting to go in but vacation hit (and then the price I paid for having such a great vacation….). Next thing I know it’s September/October! Time to install these buggers! Well you can guess what came out as soon as I did this right? UUC Motorwerks New and Improved FCAB’s! So rather than wait 30k and replace the OEM bushings again I figured now was the time to try them out.

I did run into a couple of hiccups along the way. Since the UUC FCAB’s are firmer than OE, anything else that’s wrong with your suspension may be made known. In my case the outer ball joint on the control arms were becoming sloppy and was felt as a high speed vibration. Something I did not feel with the OEM type bushing. So I replaced the control arm assemblies and now all is well with the world. My previous steering/brake issues 99.9% gone.

I will mention, that there was/is an issue with installing these bushings on Meyle HD control arms. The cast piece from Meyle appears well made, but under close inspection the tip of the arm has a slightly misaligned mold line. To visualize, imagine the hex end divided down the middle and then shift the two halves slightly. I can’t confirm this, but I believe the OEM FCABs will tolerate this since they are rubber lined. The UUC FCABs mate using a machined metal piece. Not so tolerant. They did, however, fit PERFECTLY on the OE control arm.

I have to say over the past few years I’ve become increasingly disenchanted with the handling of my ’04 330Ci. Replacing the FCAB’s and CA have turned this around 100%. The UUC FCABs add I nice firmness to the steering feel that I have to say I absolutely love. In comparison to OE FCAB’s they do not sacrifice much ride comfort and yield a firmer and crisper steering feel. I’m a very happy camper (I own a BMW again)

Side notes, After all this I can now remove and install FCAB’s in around 1.5 hours (including schlepping all the tools out, jacking the car etc.) And I also know that my shocks are on their way out…grrrrr…I see Koni FSD or similar in my future.....

Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
FlzRider
OEM ///Member

My Ride: AW 1M
Nice write-up.

So how well did the UUC FCABs mount up to the Meyle CAs that had those manufacturing defects? Also, isn't Meyle an OEM relacement? As in, you could potentially get Meyle parts from the parts desk at the stealership?

FlzRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
Elwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlzRider View Post
Nice write-up.

So how well did the UUC FCABs mount up to the Meyle CAs that had those manufacturing defects? Also, isn't Meyle an OEM relacement? As in, you could potentially get Meyle parts from the parts desk at the stealership?
A little grinding of the control arm was required to bring it closer to spec. AFAIK Meyle is not OE, but bill themselves as exceeding OE requirements.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #4
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
Good informative review.

Can anyone compare these UUC FCABs ($239) with the Powerflex FCABs offered by Bimmerworld ($150)? Is the price difference worth it or does each have their own tradeoffs (i.e. more track vs street)?
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Nice writeup! UUC always delivers.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
HighVoltage

My Ride: 2007 335i
Elwood, thanks for the writeup. I have been postponing FCAB replacement until someone tried the install out on these. I will try to post few a install pics to this thread at the first of the new year when I do the install.

Can you comment a little more on the Meyle HD CA fitment issue. About how much did you have to grind down? How much clearance remained between the CA and the UUC FCAB? The fitment seems to be akin to a bolt head and a socket and I would like to be sure the walls of the UUC FCAB match up well with the Meyle HD CA.

Thanks again!

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #7
Elwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
Elwood, thanks for the writeup. I have been postponing FCAB replacement until someone tried the install out on these. I will try to post few a install pics to this thread at the first of the new year when I do the install.

Can you comment a little more on the Meyle HD CA fitment issue. About how much did you have to grind down? How much clearance remained between the CA and the UUC FCAB? The fitment seems to be akin to a bolt head and a socket and I would like to be sure the walls of the UUC FCAB match up well with the Meyle HD CA.

Thanks again!
One bushing was tight on the Meyle arm, and required minor touch up with a dremil. The other arm required some very careful bench grinder work. It was that bad.

With the BMW arm, installation was a very mild press fit. Just like the OE bushings would be. If you require a sledge hammer with the Meyle arms, stop! You may get it on, but risk having the radial bearing bind due to the pressure.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
markusmark

My Ride: 2001330Ci
from Elwood: "With the BMW arm, installation was a very mild press fit. Just like the OE bushings would be. If you require a sledge hammer with the Meyle arms, stop! You may get it on, but risk having the radial bearing bind due to the pressure."
Are you saying that the lca slides inside of the UUC lcab?
markusmark is offline   Reply With Quote