E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
Tom87

My Ride: e46 325i
Let's all argue about the sprint booster..

I was given a sprint booster to test. Version 3. I was skeptical at first, but honestly I'm pretty sold on this thing. It's much more complex than people make it out to be. It's not as simple as changing where 100% throttle is in the pedal travel.. There is more to it than that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...fOPxgOPeFWGwKw

E46 performance part reviews and DIYs

Tom87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #2
rcaso26

My Ride: 03 330i
M3 Sport Button Mod

I went all out and had the sprint booster button wired into the "Sport" button on an M3 button panel. A lot of work but now I have a working sport button in my 330i. I think the sprintbooster really gives the car a better power delivery and I like how I can turn it off when I don't want such a twitchy throttle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a3aee958-e05a-4d39-acd9-433196aaa1ab.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	647581  
2003 330i w/ Sport Package - AFE Intake, 35% Tints, RCR Tails, Dynavin N6, ZHP Short Shifter, Khoalty Angel Eyes, Vibrant Performance Muffler, VMR V10's Hyper Silver, Sprintbooster M3 Sport Button Mod
rcaso26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
Tom87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaso26 View Post
I went all out and had the sprint booster button wired into the "Sport" button on an M3 button panel. A lot of work but now I have a working sport button in my 330i. I think the sprintbooster really gives the car a better power delivery and I like how I can turn it off when I don't want such a twitchy throttle.

Wow. Very nice. I like the idea of having a sport button. There's something childishly fun about having a single button that makes a thing have more zoom.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #4
rcaso26

Thanks. Yeah it's a huge pain to source the M3 button panel and rewire everything but it looks completely OEM after everything was wired up an installed.
2003 330i w/ Sport Package - AFE Intake, 35% Tints, RCR Tails, Dynavin N6, ZHP Short Shifter, Khoalty Angel Eyes, Vibrant Performance Muffler, VMR V10's Hyper Silver, Sprintbooster M3 Sport Button Mod
Old 12-22-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: 2016 Lexus
you get 100% faster and ramp up is faster, right? If so, if you enjoy the feel then it's worth it to you.

you probably wouldn't want your throttle to be too aggressive though. you want to modulate throttle in a particularly aggressive corner.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I busted out laughing at your first throttle blip and the rear kicked out.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #7
Mflara20

My Ride: 04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaso26 View Post
You should post the wiring of how you got the sport bottom to work!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Mflara20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
Gibbon

My Ride: 330i
I'm used to quick action throttle kits on M/cycles and the reward it gives for subtlety. In a car I'm such a bad driver in comparison to my abilities on bikes it could well be a liability. I'm just weird I guess. Bikes I don't even think about controlling it just where I'm going next. Cars still surprise me, I can't read them as well. I know my limits so I haven't put one through a hedge in the last twenty years but in places where it has been safe I have been caught out. One minute fine, next minute spinning. In an awd Audi that takes some doing lol.

On the flip side, the more direct throttle connection may help that connection with the car. If I ever get happy with the idea of abusing a car I own I may try it. With shipping+taxes it's knocking on $360 dollars in the UK. Lots of parts that can be bought for that.
Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #9
Xarmius

My Ride: 2k5 330I ZHP
did you break off the plastic piece on the mount by accident?
Xarmius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #10
isahermit

My Ride: 2002 330ci 5mt
Hey dude, a bit unrelated but love the content you have been putting out. Much appreciated.
isahermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
Tom87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarmius View Post
did you break off the plastic piece on the mount by accident?

I think it was on its way out. It came off really easily. (Sigh.. why does something always break?)

Old 12-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #12
Tom87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
you get 100% faster and ramp up is faster, right? If so, if you enjoy the feel then it's worth it to you.

you probably wouldn't want your throttle to be too aggressive though. you want to modulate throttle in a particularly aggressive corner.

After talking to some more people, it turns out this is a really sophisticated little device. It has the ability to adapt to certain driving situations. Pulling away from the lights it will tone it down a bit so you don't spin out. And mid corner, it will allow you to modulate the throttle without cranking open the throttle body if you are being gentle. Time will tell though. Im going to be testing it on the track next summer.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #13
Gibbon

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom87 View Post
After talking to some more people, it turns out this is a really sophisticated little device. It has the ability to adapt to certain driving situations. Pulling away from the lights it will tone it down a bit so you don't spin out. And mid corner, it will allow you to modulate the throttle without cranking open the throttle body if you are being gentle. Time will tell though. Im going to be testing it on the track next summer.
See bold, how would it know? Feed off the steering angle sensor? More info please. If it can that's impressive and adds value.

Gibbon
Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #14
Tom87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
See bold, how would it know? Feed off the steering angle sensor? More info please. If it can that's impressive and adds value.

Gibbon

Nothing to do with then steering angle but more to do with the fact that you would be feeding the throttle gently to balance the slip angle. So it wouldn't snap the throttle body open then like it would if you were launching.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #15
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Thank to gurus of the tuning right here we have privileges to tune throttle maps and much more so this things are useless now))
cwarel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #16
das_autobahn

My Ride: 2004 330ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Thank to gurus of the tuning right here we have privileges to tune throttle maps and much more so this things are useless now))

already been proven in other older posts that "tuning" doesnt do what the sprint booster does. look it up.
das_autobahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #17
rcaso26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
You should post the wiring of how you got the sport bottom to work!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
See below link for the wiring instructions on the sport button.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...t=sport+button
Old 01-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #18
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by das_autobahn View Post
already been proven in other older posts that "tuning" doesnt do what the sprint booster does. look it up.
Well depends who tunes it , for me I have gained a lot more power by , modding igntion , fuel and vanos .
cwarel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 PM   #19
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I busted out laughing at your first throttle blip and the rear kicked out.
I did too

Tom and I both have lightened flywheels which makes the rev pretty quick as it is. Wish I had the version you could turn on and off The PO installed it on the car so I got it as a bonus.

Tom, spot on review BTW

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,Custom Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob

Last edited by zander271; 01-03-2017 at 11:32 PM.
zander271 is online now   Reply With Quote