E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
Thaniel

My Ride: 99 323i, 93 357i
Heres an XDF for MS42

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this DME tuning world. Found that there didn't appear to be a XDF for the MS42 on the forum. But I did find posted an A2L file. Using .xls. some cleverness, patience and probably 20 hours, I managed to turn the .A2L file into an XDF. Using the .Bin downloaded from an MS42 the graphs look like they are reading the right data!!

At the moment the labels are in German. But I've seen many posts from people with good info that never materialized. So I'm posting what I have. And who knows. Maybe someone that reads Germany will like it this way. I need to find or make some translations. If anyone has anything that would help please let me know.

The file is too large to post on this forum (3Meg) so I put it on my google drive here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...mc&usp=sharing

If someone has knowlege of editing engine maps, In particular for turbocharging let me know.

I also need to figure out how to update the checksums before I can use the .XDF to edit the .bin. But I'm learning. Step by step.

Oh, Forgot to add. If someone has another BMW A2L file that doesn't exist as an .XDF send it over. I would be willing to try another and see how quickly I can do it this time. I could convert it Much quicker this time. For this last one I had to learn TunerPro, the .xdf format, A2L format, and set up the .xls file to translate.

Thaniel

Edit: I've found this program very handy http://jnachbaur.de/ASAP2Demo/ASAP2.html sort of like tunerpro but can read the A2L files directly.

Last edited by Thaniel; 04-16-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Thaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #2
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
hello Thaniel,

i can try to help translate from the middle of the week

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
Good work. Sucks that there isn't much info on MS42 despite the fact it is 17 year old system
Old 04-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
Thaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
i can try to help translate from the middle of the week
Super. I've added a file to the google drive with a list of items to try and translate. Some may not make sense out of context. If you could have a look sometime that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
Good work. Sucks that there isn't much info on MS42 despite the fact it is 17 year old system
Thanks. Yes It would be nice to see more.

Thaniel
Old 04-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

Do you have the matching full dump from that MS42? I would like to add some of my things to that XDF and clean up the ones that are not needed.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Thaniel

Quote:
Do you have the matching full dump from that MS42? I would like to add some of my things to that XDF and clean up the ones that are not needed.
Short answer is I don't have a full dump.

Long answer. I built the XDF from a A2L so the .bin file I've been using for data isn't matched. A person on another forum looked at my .bin and said the file I have isn't a full dump. More for me to learn on that front. I'm trying to verify that the xdf is correct but having difficulty without any know valid data points.

With that said I'm looking at the A2L in another program to try and validate. It allowed me to include the S19 file too. Attached is a screen shot of one of the maps using the S19 file and the A2L. My .bin won't load though. Says it has an error.

If you know of a valid full .bin let me know. I'll look into what it takes to get the full .bin. I've read conflicting information.

So much to know and so many variables. I go back and forth 10x a day with "I can do this" to "forget this I'm buying a standalone"

Thaniel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	553969  
Old 04-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #7
Thaniel

I'm still working on this. Things are making more sense as I go along. Has anyone looked at this software? http://jnachbaur.de/ASAP2Demo/ASAP2.html
In trying to better understand the A2L formatting and I tried it out. It is a freeprogram and appears to be able to view and edit the maps. And the best thing is it will read A2L files. ( had previously been using a vector ASAP2 viewer/editor but that program didn't appear to load load ecu dumps at all.)

There is always a downside though. The MS42 (and MS43) A2L files are written with version 1.2 ASAP2. THe program loads it with errors. BUT with some hand reformatting I was able to get it to load and resave it into 1.6 Version ASAP2. On the google drive link I've put the 1.6 version and a copy of a s19 file that will load into the ASAP2DEMO. Though the s19 file I can't vouch for it's accuracy and it doesn't appear complete.

Other good news is I found the MS43 A2L file and it is in English! I can use that to help translate the MS42 A2L file. Sadly though many of the long strings of acromynms still don't mean much to me in english.

Now the trouble is to get a data load from my DME in the right format.

Quote:
I would like to add some of my things to that XDF and clean up the ones that are not needed.
I have to ask. With the Thousands of items in the A2L or XDF file you have more?? What kind of things are you adding.

Last edited by Thaniel; 04-16-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
daniel_f.

I guess it could be of any kind of help:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=439

Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
Thaniel

Results of todays work. I upgraded the MS43.A2L file from ASAP2 V1.2 to V1.6. It is apears the english translations must have been hand entered as some values were changed but not in all the places causing a diconnect. I corrected that. if wondering, most of the needed formatting changes I do in .xls so I can do in bulk then save it as an A2L file.

The MS42 and MS43 A2L files will now load. I've been using the ASAP2Demo program and I'm starting to like it. I may eventually make/remake the XDF for tunerpro but I'm not in a hurry at this point. I found how to load ECU dumps into ASAP2Demo and can view the values, curves and maps now.

The trick to loading the ECU dumps into ASAP2DEMO is that they MUST be in "Intel HEX, Motorola S, INCA DCM, CDFX and MATLAB (.m) file formats". Yes I resorted to reading the instructions "Intel Hex" isn't the .hex file that most things seem to be saved in. I convereted several files I found on the net and my partial ECU dump (using PA soft) into the Motorola S format and Voila. (used .s28 as .s19 didn't work for some reason) They load right in now and it's easy to compare between the files.

Not sure if everything is 100% right on yet. Need to find a way to validate the data.

All the files I mentioned are posted on my google drive (link in first post) if you'd like to have a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
I guess it could be of any kind of help:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...&postcount=439
Thank you for the link. I had read that earlier but could not remember where it was. The MS42 A2L I used is from that post I could not remember how to get the MS43 to open so I downloaded it from another source. But it looks to be the same.

Thaniel

Last edited by Thaniel; 04-17-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
daniel_f.

IŽll have a look at Asap2Demo at the weekend.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
Thaniel

Hello another update. In looking over the data it appears that the ECU dumps I'm looking at are in LSB first (MSB last) format despite the A2L stating Big Eddian. I read somewhere that depending on how the data is extracted from the ECU it could be either LSB First or MSB first. At the moment I'm extracting the data using a PA soft clone and the data is most definately LSB first. I've posted 2 versions of the A2L on the google drive. BUt atleast use the MSB_LAST version with PA Soft downloads. I have a different cable on order and will try some other downloads to compare.

On single byte data points byte order makes no difference. Only on data points that require 2 bytes or greater. Easiest way I've found to tell if the data is good or not is to look at the Disa map "tab_disa_tl__n_disa__lm" One axis is in RPM which is a Word length. In the attached picture the one on the left (MSB in this case) is obviously wrong. The RPM jumps around instead of flowing steady in one direction. And RPM's of 24,000 aren't valid. The one on the right shows RPM's in range and in a steady increasing.

Today I'm downloading Bin's from my cars. That will give me some data that is all downloaded in the same fashion to compare with each other. My current download seems to fit the A2L quite well. Will see if the other MS42 downloads fit the same.

Thaniel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Byte_order_example.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	554375  
Old 04-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #12
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

you would have to then fix your end result and make the XDF work only on part read, 32kb. Because you can't burn full flash into MS42 anyway.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
Thaniel

Downloaded the bins. That took forever. And even with a 10 amp charger on while downloading, at least one of the cars wouldn't restart after the download finished. What in the world is the stupid car doing when the key is on. I download the bin from my spare ECU in the house on a less than 2 amp power supply that's running other things at the same time. Anyway....

I now have three bins from 323i's and a 328i that were downloaded all in the same way (and a 330i bin but that's a MS43). Should be able to make good comparisions. After comparing for good or bad ,the only one that really fits the A2L data is the 328i. The others appear to be similar to each other but the data seems to be offset or something. The header data appears to be in the same places but the map data is shifted or something. I spent some time trying to sort it out but didn't get far. Then I realized my whole point of all this is to learn to tune a car for a turbo project. If I can use the 328i ECU then perhaps I have what I need.

In looking at the data and starting on making a MS43 xdf I noticed some errors in the MS42 XDF. Reworked it this morning. Latest version on the google drive (link in post 1).

Improvements are:
TunerPro doesn't seem to handle scientific notation in the formulas. Modified formulas to all use standard notation. Reworked the scaler output type from integer to floating point so it will show the decimal places. Fixed an error in the values that required longs (had mistakenly set them to Byte). Moved the axis points to visibility level 10 and curves to visiblity level 5. (Set the visibility settings to show up to 1 and it'll hide the curves and axis point tables). Added 2 tables to pull out "ECU-no" and "build" from the .bin. maybe should have called them ECU version and type or something. Still need to make some adjustments on the map display units and add some better descriptions. It's a work in process.

Quote:
you would have to then fix your end result and make the XDF work only on part read, 32kb. Because you can't burn full flash into MS42 anyway.
Glad to hear I don't have to flash the whole thing as it takes so long. Limiting the .XDF down doesn't look like a problem. I just need to know what area to limit it to.

Thaniel
Old 04-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

partial read starts at 48000 and ends at 4FFF0
Old 04-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
Thaniel

Hello All,

Sorry for being away so long. Went away for a bit of vacation. No cell phone service or internet and no computer. Was a nice holiday though sometimes I found myself wishing I could work on ECU maps.

I did spend a little time on it since I've been home. In comparing my three 323i hex dumps they all are are very similar. But they are all very different from the 328. Digging in a bit more much of the data is similar but in different locations. I started with the axis points and was able to match up new addresses for all the axis points. Though there were some additional axis points in the 323i and a couple that the 328 had that aren't in the 323i.

Matching the maps might be more difficult. The axis points were all preceded with a byte or word (depending on if the data was a byte or word) stating the length of the following data. So i broke it all up in excel and easily matched. But the maps do not appear to start with an identifier. Think I read some other BMW ECU's do but guess I'm not that lucky. It may be more manual to match the map data up.

Quote:
partial read starts at 48000 and ends at 4FFF0
Looking over the hex dumps I have and comparing to the XDF data it appears that 99% all of the addresss referenced by the XDF is in that range.

The exceptions are the following 37 (out of a total of 2875)

DES_VERSIONC0D
DES_VERSIONC1D
DES_VERSIONC2D
DES_VERSIONC3D
DES_VERSIONC4D
DES_VERSIONC5D
ebw_as
nwsoll_as_a
nwsoll_as_e
sz_as
tallfs_erg_as
talsh_as_nkat1
talsh_as_nkat2
talsh_as_vkat1
talsh_as_vkat2
tate_as
zw_as_0
zw_as_1
zw_as_2
zw_as_3
zw_as_4
zw_as_5
n_proz_el_as
ti_as_0
ti_as_1
ti_as_2
ti_as_3
ti_as_4
ti_as_5
tab_zw_ad_0__n__lm
tab_zw_ad_1__n__lm
tab_zw_ad_2__n__lm
tab_zw_ad_3__n__lm
tab_zw_ad_4__n__lm
tab_zw_ad_5__n__lm
tab_tah_ad_van_e_sam__tmag
tab_tah_ad_van_a_sam__tmag
Old 04-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #16
Thaniel

Added an MS43 xdf to my google drive.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #17
Thaniel

Updated and corrected the MS42 XDF. (version 5 is the latest). Creating the last XDF helped me understand how things translated to TunerPro from the A2L things better.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
Thaniel

Created a MS42_323i .xdf and A2L. The 328i Bin I have matches the A2L file, that is found on the internet, well. The three 323i's I have however do not. But the 323i's all seem similar to each other even though differing years. In comparing the 2 bins the data is very similar but it is stored in different addresses as there is the number of maps, curves etc. are different. I'd say about 60% of the maps and curve values were identical between the 328 and 323. This allowed me to realitively easily find the addresses in the 323i bin. With those matches some of the differing data is also aligned. There are some areas where the maps were not the same. Those could use some extra tweaking. But took the big wide cut and got a huge amount of what appears to be good data aligned. I'm particuarly pleased with these XDF's and A2L's as I want to "tune" a 323i.

Oh. I also purchased another 323i DME to have something to playwith without fear of bricking my driving cars.

Thaniel

Last edited by Thaniel; 04-28-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #19
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

the MS42 XDF is all in alphabetical order and because of that its all a mess. Should be going down based on address location and not on description order. The MS43 XDF looks better but in constants when the value is 00 it displays nothing in the screen it is blank. I have to change it to 'hex digit' to display. All single or dual byte constants should be set to 'hex digits'

Some translation from English MS43 damos file:

c_ = constant
dmtl= fuel tank diagnostic pump
hdmtl = heater of fuel tank pressure monitoring pump
cru main sw = cruise main switch or cruise control unit
conf ecf = configure the electrical condenser fan
conf cf = configure electrical fan for radiator
conf bts = configure brake test switch or brake switch version
conf tq lim gear= configure torq limit per each gear

others are more obvious like:
mas= misfire
crk= crankshaft
mas= air mass meter
lam= lambda
dtc= diagnostic trouble codes
mil= malfunction indicating lamp
plaus= plausibility
imob= immobilizer or ews system
tps= throttle position sensor
chk= check
st= status
vdmtl= voltage of diagnostic fuel tank pressure pump
poti= potentiometer

etc..................

if you can unput this automaticly, this would make it a killer XDF, changing all of the names manualy would take some time. Let me know, then we can work together

Last edited by HakenTT; 04-28-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #20
Thaniel

Quote:
if you can unput this automaticly, this would make it a killer XDF, changing all of the names manualy would take some time. Let me know, then we can work together
Yah I can do it in bulk with "vlookups" in .xls reasonably easy. I don't make my changes to the xdf in tunerpro. I would be happy to work together on it.

I still don't see the benefit of putting the map names in address order. Does BMW put them in a particular order? i wasn't following it and couldn't find a thing. When i look at things by address I use other tools which actually list the address, name and some attributes in the list and can sort by name or address or type or..... Id like to see that feature added to tunerpro.

Thaniel