E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #81
nite-stalker

My Ride: 325Ci
Please note that these smaller differentials are 168mm differentials compared to the stock 188mm differentials. The smaller gear/driveshaft supports less torque reliably.
nite-stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:24 PM   #82
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by nite-stalker View Post
Please note that these smaller differentials are 168mm differentials compared to the stock 188mm differentials. The smaller gear/driveshaft supports less torque reliably.
This is true, but as long as I'm not supercharged or doing anything crazy, it should be able to handle the stock torque.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:18 AM   #83
Mmmmmmmmmm

My Ride: is blacker every day
Very nice write up ! Just what I needed.

- the Euro e46 320i steptronic came with a 3,91:1 diff, but only in some markets (don't know the specifics)
- there was even a 4,44:1 diff for the 316i step

- a diff cooler (Mocal, Summit, Earl's...) would be cheaper than a finned cover and more effective, though harder to "get right" under the car

- just how much torque are these diffs rated for ? I use nitrous so torque is at the very limit of what the step tranny can handle but only in short bursts. I do like to 'fool around' with the car, expecially on wet surfaces. Will I be fine ?

'01 325Ci - Cosmos Black - staggered 18's - H&R race - Skytune Kpeng - c/k GruppeM - 50 shot - EBC discs & red stuff pads - smoke LED tails - smoke front/side - blackout kidneys
ICE : mk3 nav - EQS - PPI PC6600 - 2x PG Sapphire 1.0 - 4x Crossfire BMF-mb6 - 2x Dynaudio MD140mkII + MD100 - 2x SPL Dynamics DIG-1450 - 2x Brahma 12
Mmmmmmmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:33 AM   #84
mkodama

Good info to know, thanks kpeng! I got offered a 3.91 limited slip diff for free recently so I think I'm gonna install it.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #85
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmmmmmmmm View Post
Very nice write up ! Just what I needed.

- the Euro e46 320i steptronic came with a 3,91:1 diff, but only in some markets (don't know the specifics)
- there was even a 4,44:1 diff for the 316i step

- a diff cooler (Mocal, Summit, Earl's...) would be cheaper than a finned cover and more effective, though harder to "get right" under the car

- just how much torque are these diffs rated for ? I use nitrous so torque is at the very limit of what the step tranny can handle but only in short bursts. I do like to 'fool around' with the car, expecially on wet surfaces. Will I be fine ?
I actually think the same 4.44 came in the auto X3 3.0si...I'm not 100% though.

I've never heard of a "diff cooler".

And I think it will be just fine as far as torque. The same diff is used in some of the euro 3ers, even some of the diesels I believe. And if that's the case, you have nothing to worry about as far as torque is concerned, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Good info to know, thanks kpeng! I got offered a 3.91 limited slip diff for free recently so I think I'm gonna install it.
No prob! That's what I'm here for! How did you get a 3.91 LSD? And from what car?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #86
325rider

My Ride: gone, not forgotten
Send a message via AIM to 325rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
My 4th was nothing like that with my 3.46

Schrick 264/248 | Ebay Headers | AA dyno tune | SSR GT2 18x9 | 3.46 | Full OEM Mtech 2
325rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 08:18 PM   #87
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
Raphy! Get your diff!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 06:04 PM   #88
Mmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
I've never heard of a "diff cooler".

And I think it will be just fine as far as torque. The same diff is used in some of the euro 3ers, even some of the diesels I believe. And if that's the case, you have nothing to worry about as far as torque is concerned, lol.
It's like a tranny cooler (basically a small oil cooler).

If it's the 318d, we put out way more torque than those if we upgrade our six bangers. They have approx. the same peak torque as a 330i. I thought the 320d and 330d had the bigger diffs but I never checked. They have taller gearing anyway.

'01 325Ci - Cosmos Black - staggered 18's - H&R race - Skytune Kpeng - c/k GruppeM - 50 shot - EBC discs & red stuff pads - smoke LED tails - smoke front/side - blackout kidneys
ICE : mk3 nav - EQS - PPI PC6600 - 2x PG Sapphire 1.0 - 4x Crossfire BMF-mb6 - 2x Dynaudio MD140mkII + MD100 - 2x SPL Dynamics DIG-1450 - 2x Brahma 12
Old 12-20-2007, 02:31 AM   #89
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Yes, this is true.
For those using in racing applications, you would need to add a LS unit so as to not break something like the spyder gear. Someone thiking of using this in wet or ice without a Limited Slip unit would certainly break it.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:40 AM   #90
mkodama

Quote:
No prob! That's what I'm here for! How did you get a 3.91 LSD? And from what car?
My neighbor preps Porsche and BMW race cars and had one from a 330i/ci project. I've been lending him a hand with moving his shop from one location to another. And in return I'm getting a 3.91 limited slip diff and M3 steering wheel for free. Guess it reinforces my idea of being nice to others and getting favors in return.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #91
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Yes, this is true.
For those using in racing applications, you would need to add a LS unit so as to not break something like the spyder gear. Someone thiking of using this in wet or ice without a Limited Slip unit would certainly break it.
This is true. I think I'll be ok though in sunny Florida, lol. I only do the occassional open road course event, so I'm not a track junky either. Just want some more umph on the streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
My neighbor preps Porsche and BMW race cars and had one from a 330i/ci project. I've been lending him a hand with moving his shop from one location to another. And in return I'm getting a 3.91 limited slip diff and M3 steering wheel for free. Guess it reinforces my idea of being nice to others and getting favors in return.
That's awesome! Hook a brotha up!
Old 12-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #92
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmmmmmmmm View Post
It's like a tranny cooler (basically a small oil cooler).

If it's the 318d, we put out way more torque than those if we upgrade our six bangers. They have approx. the same peak torque as a 330i. I thought the 320d and 330d had the bigger diffs but I never checked. They have taller gearing anyway.
Got a link to one? I can't find any "diff coolers"
Old 12-20-2007, 10:23 PM   #93
nite-stalker

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...ix_Oil_Coolers

something like this, but you will need a pump to circulate the oil too
Old 12-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #94
jeremysmith1967
a.k.a. Norton

My Ride: 00 328ci & 67 stang
Send a message via AIM to jeremysmith1967
Quote:
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...ix_Oil_Coolers

something like this, but you will need a pump to circulate the oil too
interesting do you think a cooler is necessary for a primarily street driven car?

OT i see your from Grand Rapids. I grew up there. Go Blue.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #95
nite-stalker

the way i see it, even if i am going for track days, all I would need is a finned diff cover if I have LSD in my diff.
you just need to change the oil more often if the oil constantly sees high temps.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #96
mkodama

Quote:
That's awesome! Hook a brotha up!
If you had a coupe I could get a you an entire red M3 interior for a good price...

Old 12-20-2007, 10:54 PM   #97
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysmith1967 View Post
interesting do you think a cooler is necessary for a primarily street driven car?
This is just a guess:

If you drive your car for extended periods of time at high RPMs and do lots of cornering, say like many laps on a track, than you would probably have less maintenance and better reliability with a diff cooler. But for a car that only sees aggressive driving and one lap autocross circuits I would think it not necessary.

But since the gear oil is not as dependent on temperature as say engine oil(which is circulated and pumped through many orifices), I bet a cooler could be added with no negative side effects and be added insurance for keeping the diff from getting too hot.

This is just some of the deductions I've got from reading forums. So this is just a guess. I would love to hear what someone who actually knows what they are talking about(unlike me) would have to say.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:58 AM   #98
Mmmmmmmmmm

Check out the coolers for the diffs on the Nissan Skyline R34 GTR Z-tune : they're clearly visible from behind.

http://www.nismo.co.jp/Z-tune/index.html

Go to "Chassis" and scroll all the way down.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:28 AM   #99
ejhlb

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 coupe
does the x3 3.91 have LSD ?
ejhlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #100
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhlb View Post