E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2002, 11:10 AM   #1
MillsBims
Alco-ma-holic

My Ride: nada
Exhaust Question. PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE...

Here is my situation. I have a 2001 325Ci, 5 spd w/ SP and many OEM "cosmetic" additions, but no performance mods yet. I am looking into getting an exhaust and suspension kit, because I have heard that the engine is about as fine tuned as it will get.

My first question, is a chip & CAI or ECIS worth it? (any recommendations)
Next question, Dinan vs. UUC twin silencer exhaust system?
Final question, Dinan vs. H&R springs w/ Bilstein suspension?

I appreciate everyones input and really hope that some of you can give me some tips. I am looking to take my car the track this summer and want it to hold the road and sound good doing it. I know tires are the best bet, but I just got 1 replaced and don't feel like tossing them just yet (still have the conti's on it).

Thanks again to everyone.

Eric
MillsBims is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:24 AM   #2
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
Check out the "Reviews" section...

http://www.e46fanatics.com/review/review.php

I did a write up on the Dinan Free Flow exhaust and the UUC TSE. I have a 330Ci but it will still give you an idea of how the two compare.

Traditionally the Dinan exhaust will be louder (and drone a little at highway speeds) compared to the UUC TSE. I have the UUC TSE on my 330Ci and have installed on on a 323i. I think the UUC TSE is a fantastic product!

A CAI and software will give you modest performance gains. I think the gain is mostly perceived since your car will sound more aggressive. Personally I have the Dinan CAI and STG2 software and love it!

As far as suspensions...Dinan has great suspension packages but it's not a good choice if you want any drop at all. The Dinan suspension package only lowered a non-sport sedan by roughly 10-12mm all around. It will not lower your coupe at all. H&R springs are a tried and proved setup...however, if you want to replace your springs...I'd recommend the H&R CupKit. I just installed the cupkit on my car and love it!
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:40 AM   #3
MillsBims
Alco-ma-holic

Thank you very much. I read your reviews and I am going to purchase the UCC TSE today. I am not going to bother with intake & a chip yet.

I am still undecided whether or not I want my car to have any drop. I am leaning towards not dropping it simply because there are a few speed bumps around me. With that in mind, is the Dinan Stage 1 worth $1275 + installation? Or should I look elsewhere? If so, any suggestions???

Thanks again and your reviews were very well written and very convincing.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:55 AM   #4
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

Well...

I'm not sure I would pay $1275+installation for the Dinan suspension.

Keep this in mind. Your BMW is an incredible handling car completely stock. You can already out-handle most cars in your class.

Dinan hardware is pretty much over priced to begin with and installation for a full suspension is going to run you north of $500. It really depends are what you are looking for in a suspension setup. The Dinan suspension uses adjustable Koni's and will ride as smooth as butter but will not lower your car at all (which sounds like it will be OK for you). Dinan Stg1 suspension doesn't not include upgraded sway bars.

If you want dramatic handling improvements without increasing ride harshness...get thicker sway bars. UUC and Racing Dynamics are fine products...look to spend around $300-$350. Your car will corner very flat and your ride comfort will stay the same. I'm running UUC Sways and installed them before I replaced the rest of the suspension so I can testify to the improvement over the stock sway bars.

Feel free to ask pleny of questions to the members here before you decide. That's what this forum is for.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2002, 12:25 PM   #5
MillsBims
Alco-ma-holic

DTM???

Got more questions for ya...

Does the DTM on the UUC exhaust mean anything other than that the tips are turned upwards?
Is it worth the $40 difference or is it just cosmetic?
Do you know if it will fit stock 325Ci rear bumper?

I think I'm gunna save the $40 and just get the regular one, but let me know what you think.

Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:32 PM   #6
MillsBims
Alco-ma-holic

different Q's, but since I've got your attention...

I am looking into getting a spoiler too. I like the M3 lip, but everyone has it. I've seen the OEM one from the aero kit and really like that one, but for $300 retail, I'm not so sure I like it that much. I haven't check circle or pacific yet for prices on it, but dont really want to spend more than $275 (painted and installed).

Next, you seem to be an expert on OEM vs. Aftermarket stuff. I want the steering wheel from the new X5 4.6is, with the titanium silver bottom under the airbag. Is there any way i can take off my black plastic part and get that part (do you know a part #?)? Or do I have to get an entirely new steering wheel (not going to happen, but would like to know my options)? Is painting it an option???

Thanks again Vinnymac. You've been a really big help.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:32 PM   #7
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

The DTM tips are strictly cosmetic...

Here's a pic of a side by side comparison of the regular TSE tips and DTM tips...you be the judge.

UUC products are very well designed and crafted. The DTM tips will fit your rear bumper just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tsesidebysidesmall1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	2089  
Old 05-10-2002, 12:35 PM   #8
MillsBims
Alco-ma-holic

different Q's, but since I've got your attention...

I am looking into getting a spoiler too. I like the M3 lip, but everyone has it. I've seen the OEM one from the aero kit and really like that one, but for $300 retail, I'm not so sure I like it that much. I haven't check circle or pacific yet for prices on it, but dont really want to spend more than $275 (painted and installed).

Next, you seem to be an expert on OEM vs. Aftermarket stuff. I want the steering wheel from the new X5 4.6is, with the titanium silver bottom under the airbag. Is there any way i can take off my black plastic part and get that part (do you know a part #?)? Or do I have to get an entirely new steering wheel (not going to happen, but would like to know my options)? Is painting it an option???

Thanks again Vinnymac. You've been a really big help.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:40 PM   #9
Nimbo

My Ride: 99 328i pp/sp/5-sp
i got my M3 spoiler from Cutter motors, it cost $107 shipped to Delaware.
There is a great body shop here that i use, they only work on German cars. they charge about $80 to paint.
Nimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 12:43 PM   #10
MillsBims
Alco-ma-holic

M3 lip or spoiler???

I dont want the lip. It's not that I dont like it, but like I said before, everyone's got it. I want an actual spoiler. So just to clarify, did you get the lip or a spoiler from Cutter?

Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:44 PM   #11
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

Hmmm...

I don't know that much about spoilers. I just stuck with the E46 M3 Lip spoiler b/c I didn't want anything that was too big. I think the OEM aero spoiler is pretty expensive and pain work will cost $150+ at least. Definitely check with PacificBMW and see what their pricing is (it's usually the lowest). $275 for a painted spoiler is most likely going to limit you to the M3 lip spoiler or a used one...check the "Classifieds".

As far as the steering wheel. You can purchase just the steering wheel trim piece. You'll have to find out what the part # is and order it. You could always paint your current trim piece...many people have it done that way and looks good.

Just keep in mind when you buy anything...you get what you pay for.

Cheers!
Old 05-10-2002, 12:49 PM   #12
Nimbo

My Ride: 99 328i pp/sp/5-sp
i brought the M3 lip spoiler - for the sedan. i checked other dealers and they range anywhere from $99 to $299. again, i got it from Cutters. you can call Dan his # is 800 676 1595 x 2390.
Nimbo is offline   Reply With Quote