E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
HNP

My Ride: BMW 330i
control arm/bushings covered under warranty?

Hello guys.....wanted to know if you guys could provide some input on this.....I just took my car to the dealer to get my control arms/bushings replaced.....they charged me about $1100....they said that this was not covered under the CPO warranty....nor the extended maintenace warranty....my car only has about 23,000 (2003 330i)miles on it....does this make sense???? how can the control arms/bushings go bad so soon??...please help!!!....thanks!!!!!!!!!
HNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Not sure about CPO or extended maintenance but they are covered under normal warranty. Sounds to me like you got screwed.

Tim
tim330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
bjstclair

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
My car had the same exact problem w/ CPO and Mat, bushings are not covered and the dealer quoted me $1,200. When i got my car back though, one of the mechanics left a half eaten burrito in the passenger seat. I ***** and ***** and eventually the repair was good willed. I called around though and the repair will cost you 300-400. I found a good shop that would do it for $350 w/ aftermarket bushings so it wont happen again. Good Luck.
bjstclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
mechanic_101

My Ride: 2005 325I
since it's 2003, I believe your car was out of warranty. CPO would not cover for the control arms, and owners have to pay.
mechanic_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
grafiksguy

My Ride: 2010 328xi
I don't know for sure, but I've heard that any number of CPO warranties exclude these as "wear and tear" items. Doesn't seem fair on a car with only 23,000 miles though. Also, it seems VERY premature for them to fail. However I see you're in NYC, being from NJ I know the roads around here suck and that could contribute to it, but still 23K! Did the previous owner take it off-road? You might try raising a stink with BMWNA. Sometimes if your are righteously indignant (and loud enough) you might get them to help out.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Sounds like CPO owners are SOL

For anyone else I'd suggest getting parts from anywhere but the dealership, there is no reason to install OEM parts when you get can get higher quality aftermarket parts for less. This is what I did -

http://www.e46fanatics.com/features/...php?news_id=67

Tim
tim330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #7
bjstclair

My Ride: 2003 M3 Convertible
my car is not out of warranty, it has a CPO and Maintenance plan till JAN 2009 and yes it is a 2003 45k Miles. The trailing arm bushing are a pretty common problem. Just complain your mechanic, then complain to his supervisor, then complain to BMWNA. If all of the above don't work go to a indy shop and pay 350. Ill be the first to let you know though that the CPO is definitely not the same as a new vehicle warranty. Luckly, I have been a expert at getting things good willed (4 Repairs and counting) and havn't had to pay for anything. Just do your research on the forums and BMWNA's website first, bring is lists of and posts from other people that have the same problem. Like were there any rust on the bushings or around it, could this have weakened them??? This could have caused the failure, no? That has worked for me twice and i live in california, brand new springs and shocks. Just be really nice and curious and they will want to help you, its not their money. The first time you get pissed you can forget about it, they will be more then happy to kick you out. They did leave a ****ing burrito in my car though......
bjstclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
325myAZ

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Not sure about CPO or extended maintenance but they are covered under normal warranty. Sounds to me like you got screwed.

Tim
+1
I had mine changed by dealer while under original warranty.
325myAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #9
Double Vanos
Loves cookies

My Ride: 2013 VW GTi
Send a message via AIM to Double Vanos
Damn $1100 sorry buddy you got raped!!

2011 135i 6 speed (Gone and missed)
Double Vanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
HNP

My Ride: BMW 330i
thanks for the input guys!!I called BMWNA...they said that there was nothing they could do.....It was not covered...oh well!
HNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
BMW_Knight

My Ride: STG2 ZHP,E70 X5(DD)
Send a message via ICQ to BMW_Knight Send a message via AIM to BMW_Knight
Do you have any suspension mods? Doesn't make much sense for them to go bad that fast.

Thanks to: www.getbmwparts.com www.aatuning.com www.toyotires.com
Eurowerkz Mid-Atlantic Regional Director
Join the Eurowerkz Facebook Fan Site : Click Here
Need your car coded with Euro Options? (Remote Windows up, Corner delete, DRL off, etc.) PM Me
BMW_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote