E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2003, 10:09 PM   #21
Harvinator
Oaf

My Ride: 330 ci
Send a message via AIM to Harvinator
nice info, O.G.

thanks!
Old 01-05-2003, 10:26 PM   #22
Banned

My Ride: ?
Quote:
Originally posted by bmwti
remember though, that it says it reads it within something like 3 or 4 tenths of a second so it could always be off. Plus, to work it, you have to calibrate your cars weight, combined with your own weight, something that can very easily affect the outcome of the readings if put in wrong........
Ok you do not know what you are saying. The old gtech is accurate to 1/10 of a second. I know, i tested it with my 330 and ran a 14.8. At the track, I ran a 14.8. When I got my m3 I used the gtech and ran a 13.26. Pretty damn accurate if you ask me. The new one is even more accurate then the last one, to something like 1/25 of a second. Weight is only inputed to measure hp, not 1/4 mile time, that does not matter.
Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 10:26 PM   #23
traumamc
Banned

My Ride: UUC 330ci
Send a message via AIM to traumamc
Very nice times. The G-Tech looks sweet!
traumamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 11:34 PM   #24
bmwti
yuppie racing

My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally posted by sticky2

Ok you do not know what you are saying. The old gtech is accurate to 1/10 of a second. I know, i tested it with my 330 and ran a 14.8. At the track, I ran a 14.8. When I got my m3 I used the gtech and ran a 13.26. Pretty damn accurate if you ask me. The new one is even more accurate then the last one, to something like 1/25 of a second. Weight is only inputed to measure hp, not 1/4 mile time, that does not matter.
I was talking about the old gtech, and it is not accuarte to 1/10 of a second. The car magazines themselves have equipment that is a hell of alot more expensive then a gtech and they themselves dont claim that thier data is within 1/10 second accurate. The gtech is used and only should be used, to give you an idea of what times you run. I had my friends gtech on when I ran at englishtown, and the times never matched what the official clocks posted my times to be. one time I ran a 14.8 and the gtech told me a 14.2, the next run, 14.7 track time 15.0 gtech time. Im sorry but ill always believe the track time before a gtech. But I guess I dont know what im talking about. when I was commenting on the weight I was talking aobut the hp readings, I apoligize if that didnt sound clear. Ive seen a review of it on horsepower tv and in one of my car mags and both said for the price it is a fine peice of equipment but no where near as accurate as the times claimed. But again like you said, I dont know what im talking about. I am not denying the fact that the gtech posted a time of 12.7 or (what ever it was) but honsetly when was the last time you saw printed a stock M3 running times like that???? And yet the gtech is soooooooo accurate.....

Last edited by bmwti; 01-06-2003 at 12:12 AM.
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 11:37 PM   #25
Hobbes
Nonsense Generator

My Ride: 2006 X5 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to Hobbes
Lookin GOOD!
Old 01-06-2003, 01:02 AM   #26
OldGold1906
Big Baller - Shot Caller

My Ride: BMW ///M3 SMGII
Send a message via AIM to OldGold1906 Send a message via MSN to OldGold1906 Send a message via Yahoo to OldGold1906
Track Slip

Just my $.02: How accurate the G-Tech is or isn't is really irrelevant, it is only a tool to give you an idea of what the car is capable of. I would never claim that it is dead on accurate. It's a very cool device that is fun to play around with..... kinda like breaking your own hi score on a Play Station 2 video game.

But the fact is, there are some M3's capable of pulling 12.7's............ there is a track slip posted here to show that.

I have heard from a few M3 owners that they or other stock M3's that have hit 12.7's at the track. It may be rare obviously, but definitely can be done.

OldGold1906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:06 AM   #27
foofoo11

My Ride: 01' E46 M3
What kind of mods do you have?
Man, the numbers are so good, you must have been going down a hill.
foofoo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:14 AM   #28
OldGold1906
Big Baller - Shot Caller

Send a message via AIM to OldGold1906 Send a message via MSN to OldGold1906 Send a message via Yahoo to OldGold1906
Quote:
Originally posted by foofoo11
What kind of mods do you have?
Man, the numbers are so good, you must have been going down a hill.
LOL - No I was not going downhill and there are NO mods. I am completely stock.

Previously the best time I had gotten on same area (straight and flat 1/4 mile) with this very same G-Tech was a 12.97 Qtr and 0-60@4.67s.

But normally the times run in the low 13 - 13.1 second time frame, 0-60@4.85s. I seem to be able to duplicate this time over and over, even using A5 with DSC on.

Hey, what can I say....... I was just as shocked as anyone would be when I saw the numbers. I never expected it.

Old 01-06-2003, 01:18 AM   #29
foofoo11

My Ride: 01' E46 M3
I need to buy one of those....if they are pretty acurate it would be cheaper than going to dyno everytime I do a mod...better hit the ebay...
Superchip
GruppeM intake
Supersprint X-pipe
Race SSK
Brembo BBK
Ground Control
19" RG-5
foofoo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:23 AM   #30
OldGold1906
Big Baller - Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally posted by foofoo11
I need to buy one of those....if they are pretty acurate it would be cheaper than going to dyno everytime I do a mod...better hit the ebay...
I wouldn't think this thing is going to be more reliable than a dyno for showing minor HP/TQ increases from mod changes.

Old 01-06-2003, 01:36 AM   #31
bmwti
yuppie racing

Re: Track Slip

Quote:
Originally posted by OldGold1906
Just my $.02: How accurate the G-Tech is or isn't is really irrelevant, it is only a tool to give you an idea of what the car is capable of. I would never claim that it is dead on accurate. It's a very cool device that is fun to play around with..... kinda like breaking your own hi score on a Play Station 2 video game.
the accuacy of the gtech is relevant. you say yourself (and I agree) "it is only a tool to give you an idea of what the car is capable of" - If the accuracy served no relevance than why buy the thing in the first place??? Understanding that it is going to be a little off, and using the data it gives to you, to help adjust your driving skills, or to determine the effect of your mods, is the purpose of owning it. that and it's fun!!

Quote:
But the fact is, there are some M3's capable of pulling 12.7's............ there is a track slip posted here to show that.
there is no way of proving that the track slip was raced by a stock M3. Its just a piece of paper showing what someone ran, for all i know it could be a civic ex's time on the left and a zo6 time on the right. Im not calling you a liar, but im just saying a piece of paper printed on here is not actual proof.

Quote:
I have heard from a few M3 owners that they or other stock M3's that have hit 12.7's at the track. It may be rare obviously, but definitely can be done.
I guess anything is possible

thanx for posting your data and it is very interesting Just some people beleive anything they read,or what a company advertises about their products,and to those of you, you really live in an optimistic world.:tongue:
Old 01-06-2003, 01:38 AM   #32
maynardc

My Ride: '03 M3 - 6-speed
Re: Track Slip

Quote:

I've never heard of any M3's capable of doing 12.7's ever, and I've been to numerous 1/4 mile tracks all throughout California, most at sea level or very close, and have seen many M3's run. The best time I've ever seen was 13.1 @ 108 MPH w/ a manual transmission. The best time I've seen w/ an SMG is 13.3 @ around 106 MPH.

So by my calculations, you're almost a half second (0.4) quicker than the best time manual time I've seen and over a half second (0.6) faster than the fastest SMG time I've seen.

Indeed, the timeslip you posted has a 12.72 sec. @ 107 MPH, but your G-tech has an almost exact time but at 116 MPH , 9 MPH faster.

My point is I find this really hard to believe, and I'm in NO WAY accusing you of any wrongdoing, but I find the G-tech to be an unreliable tool to measure things. The only real test is to go to the track and produce a timeslip.

Look at the following links...there's no possible way that a stock M3 can come close to these cars' 1/4 mile times which were done by professional drivers. They drove a Porsche 911 Turbo, Dodge Viper GTS ACR and Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and made several 1/4 mile runs.

Don't get me wrong...I would love to believe that an M3 can do a high 12 1/4 mile; after all, I've ordered one and will receive it in mid-late March.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...st_results.xml

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...rd_results.xml

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...r_stockers.xml
maynardc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 01:56 AM   #33
OldGold1906
Big Baller - Shot Caller

Re: Re: Track Slip

Not doubting your word, I was going by what other M3 owners stated. Are they lying, I have no idea nor do I care. But they say yes, you say no. One guy provided the time slip. They are all M3 owners, you saying they are lying through the teeth? Possible, I have no way of knowing.

Am I claiming that MY M3 can hit 12.7 at the track......... NO WAY would I ever make that claim unless I had the proof in hand.

Old 01-06-2003, 02:00 AM   #34
bmwti
yuppie racing

Re: Re: Re: Track Slip

Quote:
Not doubting your word, I was going by what other M3 owners stated. Are they lying, I have no idea nor do I care. But they say yes, you say no. One guy provided the time slip. They are all M3 owners, you saying they are lying through the teeth? Possible, I have no way of knowing.

Am I claiming that MY M3 can hit 12.7 at the track......... NO WAY would I ever make that claim unless I had the proof in hand.
I wish I had an M3.......:sad:
Old 01-06-2003, 02:05 AM   #35
OldGold1906
Big Baller - Shot Caller

Re: Re: Track Slip

Quote:
Originally posted by bmwti
there is no way of proving that the track slip was raced by a stock M3. Its just a piece of paper showing what someone ran, for all i know it could be a civic ex's time on the left and a zo6 time on the right. Im not calling you a liar, but im just saying a piece of paper printed on here is not actual proof.
There is a guy claiming to have been there when the M3 12.7s run was made. See below

Quote:
I was there 4/7/2002...just missed it (m)
Posted by: Rial Silva on 2003-01-06 at 01:06:46
(posted from: Host: pool-151-204-120-51.ny325.east.verizon.net IP: 151.204.120.51)

I ran my 2001 s54 M roadster...first time ever to a track and ran a 13.46 w/ a very bad launch....then ran a 13.72 on my second lunch w/ a slightly better launch but a mis-shift to 2nd and to 3rd...still was able to finish 3rd in my class...I think it was class c (6 cyl n/a)...car was stock

Old 01-06-2003, 02:09 AM   #36
RandyL
King of the Hills

My Ride: 03' M3 CB/IR
Send a message via MSN to RandyL
Great numbers!! Last time I used my stop watch and got 5.2sec on 0-60. LoL~~ I know it's not very accurate but close. :tongue:
Old 01-06-2003, 02:12 AM   #37
bmwti
yuppie racing

lol, that's suppose to be proof too??? relax, ill take YOUR word for it!!

now on a more serious note- I still wish I had an M3.......
Old 01-06-2003, 11:18 AM   #38
HaN-hAn

My Ride: E46 Coupe
what ever the truth O.G, thanks for posting, certainly interesting stuffs! I have seen the old G-Tech but not the new one, so the pictures were interesting as well.
HaN-hAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:27 AM   #39
RacingDynamcs
RacingDynamcs

My Ride: Elise
Send a message via AIM to RacingDynamcs
wow!!! even more reasons to get SMG!@@@ amazing launch control!!
Old 01-06-2003, 11:48 AM   #40
MarvelPhx
www.my330i.com

My Ride: E92335i,04ZHP,99M3
Send a message via AIM to MarvelPhx
Do remember that the old G-Tech also did not account for roll-out, that also makes a difference. The new one does.

The old G-tech did not account for temperature's effect on the accelerometers. The new one does.

The old G-tech had to be perfectly level for accurate measurements. The new one does not.

I recently received the new G-tech Pro Competition and will be doing a full write-up and review of the product at www.my330i.com soon.

From the short amount of time that I was playing with it, it is DAMN close to what I dyno'd and the shiftlights alone are a GREAT feature.