E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #41
oh2fly

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMD32 View Post
It has everything to do with traction.

You don't want to have staggered wheels if you can help it in the winter time. Contrary to popular belief, a wider tire does NOT give you better traction.
You misread my post. I mention only the wheel diameter, nothing about width.

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, a wider tire does NOT give you better traction. Think about it this way, when cutting butter, is it easier to cut through it with the edge of a knife or the knife held flat?
The edge cuts better, but do you know why?

Quote:
Wider tires will allow ice/snow to build up across the wider tire..It has more surface area to become slick. Narrower tires can only hold a small amount, which makes it easier to either a) melt off or b) fall off.
No, that's not it. Mostly it's because the pressure applied at the contact patch increases with the reduction of area: P = F/A. A 225 tire applies 13% more pressure at the contact patch than a 255. That's like adding 200 lb of weight over the rear tires. This also applies to the part of the tire that is cutting through the snow in front of it.

That said, I already have the spare staggered setup. The guy with the red M3 in the pitures above is running 225/255 and has been doing that through Pa. winters. I'm wrestling with the obvious physics and the desire to not have to get a pair of fronts.
oh2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:13 PM   #42
IEATAMG

My Ride: Alpine White '02 M3
Every single day for the cabrio...
IEATAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:38 PM   #43
duhprez

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Cabrio
M3 Cabrio in Winter

Yeah, I drive my 2003 M3 Cabrio all year long as well. Today we saw the single biggest snow storm yet and the M3 took to the roads with no problems at all. As long as you have four good snows, you're in good shape to enjoy the winter with your M3. I'm running a set of after market 17" M6 replica rims with 225/50R17 Hankook Ice Bear W300 tires. The set up is not staggared (which was what I intended) but they were special ordered so the offset allows the wheel to sit close to the outside of the wheel well fenders. I really have to laugh at those who think they can get away with it in trying to use four seasons.

I'm passing or keeping up with four by fours with no real issues. As long as you know how to drive in the snow, the M3 is confidence inspiring. Besides, it's fun drifting in the snow with the DSC switched off.

Before winter, I put on a coat of Klasse All-In-One. Gotta say this stuff from Germany does the job. It's very long lasting with solid protection from dirt and salt; the crap comes right off with a high pressure spray gun. I don't even need to describe the gloss finish as it's long lasting with water (and snow) sheeting action after two months. I'm pretty anal about the type of wax using everything from Zaino to professional grade stuff that you can only get if you're a shop.

I was thinking of getting a hard top but instead I treated the fabric top with Ragg Topp Roof Care. Thought that might be a more inexpensive option for now. Ragg Topp works great. Makes it easy to clean and protects the fabric roof like no other product I've tried.

One thing that does surprise me is the amount of heat this car has when set on high. Some commented that I'd be freezing my butt off with driving a cabrio in the winter with a fabric roof. On the contrary, I have to dial the heat setting down or else I'd be losing weight from the sauna like conditions the M3 can create.

I picked up my 2003 M3 black on black Cabrio earlier this spring and have pleasantly found out how well balanced this car is over four Canadian seasons. The M3 is a durable ride and not meant to be garage queen. It's enough that I have to store my Gixxer 750 sport bike over the winter.

I'd like to hear comments from others from their experiences.

Last edited by duhprez; 12-16-2007 at 05:07 PM.
duhprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #44
easyman

My Ride: MKV GTI 4 Door
I see guys in m3's around here all the time...

all you need are a good set of snows
common sense

and maybe a few lessons from a pro

for the guys who got stuck. Are you on the right tires, or are you out there on pilot sports hoping for the best?

once the car gets going it is essentially like any other car. just dont give too much gas or steering input and be smooth with all controls.

IMO DSC works greatt. I accidentally gave a little gas over a patch of ice last yr going 65 and the car started to go sideways on the highway as i started to counter steer the car caught itself. The car reacted before I had even fully thought out what was happening.

2007 GTI 4 Door (MKV)- Current
2010 Acura TSX (cu2) - Retired
1987 BMW 325i (e30) Vert - Burned Down
2002 330i (e46) - Retired
ZPP - ZCW - ZSP - Nav - Bi-Xenon/85122+ - Mtech - 18" CSL - FSD's - 4300k Fogs-
Sig courtesy of fskarboe
easyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #45
k c

My Ride: None
[QUOTE=easyman;7082221]
for the guys who got stuck. Are you on the right tires, or are you out there on pilot sports hoping for the best?
QUOTE]

<---
k c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #46
dave12345

My Ride: 2003 ///M3 6MT
im running 225 255 on oem 18s, it works well... but i have to large bags of catlitter in the trunk as well
Old 12-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #47
Pierce

My Ride: M3
I drive mine in any condition. I get through snow with my snow setup.

As stated before it is just a car. Drive it.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #48
KOTYKB

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 & CBR600RR
Send a message via AIM to KOTYKB
I threw some winter treads on the 19's and I give er the beans!
KOTYKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #49
KOTYKB

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 & CBR600RR
Send a message via AIM to KOTYKB
Do a lot of you guys put weight in the trunk???
KOTYKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #50
m3blackbimmer

My Ride: 2010 e550 / 2008 m3
"19's" @ i park in the garage.......to dangerous.........
m3blackbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #51
ibanezgod

My Ride: 2011 M3
why the f not?
Old 12-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #52
Evil Twin Rob

My Ride: 2004 M3
I don't worry about the paint so much as the under carriage. I just don't believe you can truly get all of the crap out of all the nooks and crannies even with a good car wash with the under carriage spray. I also worry about the many panicy morons who can't drive in the snow. Some people have a hard enough time on dry pavement.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #53
tblue3cibm

My Ride: allroad / Hayabusa
winter beaters ftw
Old 12-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #54
d_dot

My Ride: 06 M3
Send a message via AIM to d_dot Send a message via Yahoo to d_dot
nope i drive my beater honda.lol

FOR SALE 06 M3 24K MILES GET AT ME!!! UPDATE: SOLD

WANTED 08 M3 UPDATE: GOT IT!
d_dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #55
rmatt8748

My Ride: a car
Send a message via AIM to rmatt8748
i did for a winter when i used to own one...

i had snow tires on it and everything

it was terrible, i would never do it again
rmatt8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #56
King Luis

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDriver View Post
on 17's and winter tires, for the past 2 winters i drove it daily-- snow, ice, rain, whatever (some would say this is sacreligious)
only trouble was when i came to a full stop on a hill that had icy snow on it, and then tried to move forward, my tires would spin, so i had to do a running start up my driveway kind of
if you have another car to drive, obviously dont take the M out.. but its my only car
+1
pretty nice drive with winter tires...acts like a normal car and dsc only kicks in when its really needed. plus, a car is meant to be driven and they test the car in worst of weather.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:08 AM   #57
snortdavis

My Ride: 2006 M3, 6mt TiAg/Bk
Quote:
That said, you also don't want to use ANY kind of V or Z rated tire in the winter. Heck, you don't really want to use an H. Ideally you want a set of winter tires, but at minimum a true all-season tire.
You do know you can get actual winter tires with a V rating, right? Speed rating has very little to do with winter capability. It's more in the compound, and the design of the sipes within the tread blocks. Summer tires have solid tread blocks, all-season tires have a single or double straight sipe cut into each tread block, and winter tires have several zig-zag sipes cut into the tread block. Winter compounds are generally softer so that they don't get rock-hard when the temperatures drop like summer tires will. Until relatively recently, the construction of winter tires meant that they would build up heat and fail at high speeds, so most true winter tires had lower speed ratings (think Q). Snow tires also generally sucked from a dry handling standpoint, as they were mushy and greasy. Somebody finally figured out we want to drive our cars like they were meant to be driven in both summer and winter, so now we have high-speed winter tires too. You just pay a little more.

And I would never recommend an all-season tire to anyone with an M3. It's a poor compromise for summer and winter. Instead of buying that next aesthethic mod, buy some real winter tires on dedicated rims--you can get a full set for around a grand.

If you prefer to drive a beater in the winter, that's fine, but if you enjoy your car, and want to drive it all the time, then do it. It's a car, that's what they're designed for.

///M3 '06 COUPE 6MT, SCHWARZ/GRAUR.I.P.
///M3 '06 COUPE 6MT, TITAN SILBER/SCHWARZ -- NO SUNROOF
snortdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:25 AM   #58
paintshop

My Ride: e46
well i dont have an M3 but my ZHP is absolute garbage and high risk in the snow. heck my e36 318 was a sled with a dusting of snow on ground.

drive another car when it snows
paintshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #59
madchef

My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan MB/NB
Get some good winter tires (in the correct size), and you are fine /thread

Seriously, I hope you guys aren't trying to drive in snow with summer tires. If your car is 'absolute garbage' then you obviously weren't using a good pair of snows, or don't know how to drive in snow. And just to compare, my friends 335i (chipped) with snow tires is a champ in the snow, and so is my ZHP, and so was my old G35 coupe, and so was my friends TT Supra, etc, etc.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #60
King Luis

My Ride: 2004 BMW M3
some of the worst snow tires (or at least mediocre) will be better in the snow, ice, cold, and slush then some of the best all seasons.
you can drive just about any car and have good traction in the snow with the proper tires.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote