E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #61
RudeBoiM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: OH
Posts: 579
My Ride: E46 BMW M3
how does this car drive in rain (light/heavy) with the stock setup? i plan on driving it all winter with the current 19" Mich PS's...
RudeBoiM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #62
coolusername
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,041
My Ride: F30 335xi
id suggest getting some good snow tires..
__________________
                   O.I.F 05-07 Veteran
coolusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:40 PM   #63
gazfatha323i
E46 Spartan
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Chi-Town
Posts: 531
My Ride: 04 CB/IR M3
Send a message via AIM to gazfatha323i
i have all season bridgestones on my oem 19's...cause i live in Chicago and the 3k beater car isnt an option cause I need 50g's for another parking spot.
__________________

Carbon Black / IR ///M
gazfatha323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #64
inzideurhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 368
My Ride: ///M3
Send a message via Yahoo to inzideurhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDriver View Post
on 17's and winter tires, for the past 2 winters i drove it daily-- snow, ice, rain, whatever (some would say this is sacreligious)
only trouble was when i came to a full stop on a hill that had icy snow on it, and then tried to move forward, my tires would spin, so i had to do a running start up my driveway kind of
if you have another car to drive, obviously dont take the M out.. but its my only car
+1

today I needed a roll!!

Looking to buy a small Honda...
__________________

inzideurhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:03 AM   #65
snortdavis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nr Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Posts: 319
My Ride: 2006 M3, 6mt TiAg/Bk
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoiM3 View Post
how does this car drive in rain (light/heavy) with the stock setup? i plan on driving it all winter with the current 19" Mich PS's...
Rain is fine, as long as the temp is more than about 45 degrees, after that, summer tires get hard and slippery.

I see you're in Cincinatti, which means some snow/ice in the winter, and I wouldn't drive an M3 on the stock PSs if you volunteered to pay my insurance and any repair costs. Just get some winter tires. You can get a whole set with rims (especially used) for less than your deductible probably is.
__________________
SNORT

///M3 '06 COUPE 6MT, SCHWARZ/GRAUR.I.P.
///M3 '06 COUPE 6MT, TITAN SILBER/SCHWARZ -- NO SUNROOF
snortdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:39 AM   #66
daily996
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: toronto,canada
Posts: 25
My Ride: e46 m3
Snow tires can get you through. Why store your vehicle, you own the car or the car own you. I use my car in winter.
daily996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:41 AM   #67
Bama BMW M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 352
My Ride: Pinz710 Unimog E46M3
Send a message via AIM to Bama BMW M3 Send a message via Yahoo to Bama BMW M3
no

No. I drive this.

Bama BMW M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #68
hipvspec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: IRVINE, Calif.
Posts: 97
My Ride: 06'M36mt+535Xi
[QUOTE=k c;7082458]
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman View Post
for the guys who got stuck. Are you on the right tires, or are you out there on pilot sports hoping for the best?
QUOTE]


<---

lol!
__________________
WE BITE DAILY
hipvspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #69
skeelo34
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Queens
Posts: 151
My Ride: 2001 540i, 2002 m3
Send a message via AIM to skeelo34
Still driving on my general uhp's on snow here.....though ill have to swap them out soon for my winter setup.....why would i be afraid to drive an m3 in the snow? I'd be afraid in an old school camaro with no dsc.....
skeelo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #70
SBG200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Regina
Posts: 24
My Ride: 2006 M3
Tire Rack - 225/50-17 Dunlop SP Sport 3D on Sport Edition A7's. Not going to win any beauty contests, but they worked perfectly in the 4 inches of white crap we got last weekend.
SBG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #71
Mahjik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 931
My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Send a message via ICQ to Mahjik Send a message via AIM to Mahjik
I've use the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's for a few years now. They are a good winter tire for those areas which don't see a lot of snow. I switch them on middle of November and usually switch them off middle March.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #72
defex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 305
My Ride: 330i
It sucks you guys have to worry about all that. It never snows here..
defex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #73
RudeBoiM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: OH
Posts: 579
My Ride: E46 BMW M3
need 18" winter tires... new/used for cheap!

ok, my 19" have to go for the winter.... i'll be in cleveland till the end of the year and its too risky to drive there... too much snow!

i found a set of 18" oem rims for $550.00.... there were too many complications with the 17" wheels setup and the look isn't that great either...

a co-worker has the same car with the 18" oems on some dunlop m3 winter tires... he says the car drives smooth even thru thick snow...

now whats the best place to buy a full set of winter tires for 18" wheels? new ones kinda expensive at $900.00 on www.tirerack.com. can someone help me find used ones on these forums or other similar forums? i've been looking allover for a cheap set.... please help!
RudeBoiM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #74
BMWM3NYC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 35
My Ride: 2007 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by snortdavis View Post
Rain is fine, as long as the temp is more than about 45 degrees, after that, summer tires get hard and slippery.

I see you're in Cincinatti, which means some snow/ice in the winter, and I wouldn't drive an M3 on the stock PSs if you volunteered to pay my insurance and any repair costs. Just get some winter tires. You can get a whole set with rims (especially used) for less than your deductible probably is.
Well lets not over state the facts. Yes summer tires lose traction in colder temps, but not the level that they are dangerous to drive with in the rain in lower temps. I have Conti's that I drive with all year around. I don't drive in the snow. But I do drive in cold temps. As long as it is not icy and you don't drive like a hooligan you will do fine. I have 60,000 miles on my M3 in NYC and have driven in the winter on summer tires with 20-30 temps and the car was not sliding all over the place the way some people would portray here. I have been driving 20 yrs and have never needed all season tires . All it takes is some common sense and you will be fine.
BMWM3NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #75
archangelcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 39
My Ride: 2001 BMW M3
For all you people saying that the M3 handles great in the snow, I challenge you to make it up my driveway. If you can successfully do that, I'll actually believe some of you. I don't imagine it will happen unless you have some chains.

My M3 will never touch snow or salt. Salt will shorten the life of any car...promotes rusting. A 10mph trip into a snowbank will also cost more than a winter beater. I just don't get the sense in it...its a beautiful car, why abuse it like that? If it was meant to be driven in the snow, maybe they would have put some all seasons on it out of the factory.

Just my two cents.
archangelcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:32 AM   #76
snortdavis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nr Norwich, Norfolk, UK
Posts: 319
My Ride: 2006 M3, 6mt TiAg/Bk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM3NYC View Post
Well lets not over state the facts. Yes summer tires lose traction in colder temps, but not the level that they are dangerous to drive with in the rain in lower temps. I have Conti's that I drive with all year around. I don't drive in the snow. But I do drive in cold temps. As long as it is not icy and you don't drive like a hooligan you will do fine. I have 60,000 miles on my M3 in NYC and have driven in the winter on summer tires with 20-30 temps and the car was not sliding all over the place the way some people would portray here. I have been driving 20 yrs and have never needed all season tires . All it takes is some common sense and you will be fine.
OK, you may have misunderstood me. The tires get hard, and there is some traction loss -- not like you're driving on ice or anything, but noticeable.

When I said I wouldn't drive it on the stock summer tires unless you paid my insurance, I meant on snow and ice.

And all-season tires are for minivans and SUV's, not sports cars.
__________________
SNORT

///M3 '06 COUPE 6MT, SCHWARZ/GRAUR.I.P.
///M3 '06 COUPE 6MT, TITAN SILBER/SCHWARZ -- NO SUNROOF
snortdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:40 AM   #77
951kid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 72
My Ride: E46 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelcomp View Post
If it was meant to be driven in the snow, maybe they would have put some all seasons on it out of the factory.

Just my two cents.
i wouldn't base the use of the car solely on the tires that came on it from factory.

if BMW didn't recommend driving the car in the snow, i dont think they would have offered a factory winter set up.

also -by that logic, the STI shouldnt ever see snow eaither because of the bad ass tires it comes with....

it's a car, not a painting....drive it and have fun.
__________________
951kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:30 AM   #78
Pierce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Old Trafford
Posts: 557
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelcomp View Post
For all you people saying that the M3 handles great in the snow, I challenge you to make it up my driveway. If you can successfully do that, I'll actually believe some of you. I don't imagine it will happen unless you have some chains.

My M3 will never touch snow or salt. Salt will shorten the life of any car...promotes rusting. A 10mph trip into a snowbank will also cost more than a winter beater. I just don't get the sense in it...its a beautiful car, why abuse it like that? If it was meant to be driven in the snow, maybe they would have put some all seasons on it out of the factory.

Just my two cents.
Do you think the cost of the vehicle should hinder you driving it in the snow?

Or even the beauty.

You are a sinner, vanity has a grip on you. Europeans do not put away cars because of some snow. A vehicle is a means of transportation, not some extension of your *****.
__________________
the uncola
RANGE ROVER | OVERFINCH
Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #79
nheric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 84
My Ride: Former M Vert driver
Send a message via AIM to nheric
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelcomp View Post

My M3 will never touch snow or salt. Salt will shorten the life of any car...promotes rusting. A 10mph trip into a snowbank will also cost more than a winter beater. I just don't get the sense in it...its a beautiful car, why abuse it like that?

Just my two cents.
I'll drink to that!

Quote:
You are a sinner, vanity has a grip on you. Europeans do not put away cars because of some snow. A vehicle is a means of transportation, not some extension of your *****.
I disagree. My car is both an asset and a liability. As long as I have mortgage on my house and a car payment then I will treat those assets with the utmost care. I work far to hard to destroy my property. For that reason I kept my other car as to keep the value of the M3 up by keeping it off the roads in the winter and limiting the time it see's rain. Around here, a sports car that is off the road every winter will get you more money if you have to sell it. Seeing as it's a "toy" it's first on the chopping block should we run into financial issues or health issues I choose to keep it in Mint condition or as best I can.

Last edited by nheric; 12-19-2007 at 09:09 AM. Reason: added quote
nheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #80
madchef
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,320
My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan MB/NB
Quote:
Originally Posted by defex View Post
It sucks you guys have to worry about all that. It never snows here..
Yeah, at least it only rains where you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelcomp
A 10mph trip into a snowbank will also cost more than a winter beater. I just don't get the sense in it...its a beautiful car, why abuse it like that? If it was meant to be driven in the snow, maybe they would have put some all seasons on it out of the factory.
A 10mph trip into a guardrail in the middle of summer will cost a pretty penny to, but you don't see me hiding in my driveway. Driving in the winter is hardly "abuse", more like "use".

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheric
I disagree. My car is both an asset and a liability. As long as I have mortgage on my house and a car payment then I will treat those assets with the utmost care. I work far to hard to destroy my property. For that reason I kept my other car as to keep the value of the M3 up by keeping it off the roads in the winter and limiting the time it see's rain. Around here, a sports car that is off the road every winter will get you more money if you have to sell it. Seeing as it's a "toy" it's first on the chopping block should we run into financial issues or health issues I choose to keep it in Mint condition or as best I can.
I always have been able to keep my cars in mint condition even after driving in the winter. I fail to see how that lowers the value of the car. So you are saying the financially reasonable thing to do is to pay your monthly car payment so it can sit unused for a third-half of the year??
__________________
2004 ZHP Sedan - Mystic Blue/Natural Brown, Sunroof Delete
OEM M3 Stress Bar, AFE Intake, OEM Clears, CDV Delete
madchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use