E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #81
Typeslice

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nheric View Post
I'll drink to that!

I disagree. My car is both an asset and a liability. As long as I have mortgage on my house and a car payment then I will treat those assets with the utmost care. I work far to hard to destroy my property. For that reason I kept my other car as to keep the value of the M3 up by keeping it off the roads in the winter and limiting the time it see's rain. Around here, a sports car that is off the road every winter will get you more money if you have to sell it. Seeing as it's a "toy" it's first on the chopping block should we run into financial issues or health issues I choose to keep it in Mint condition or as best I can.
It's a depreciating asset, not an investment....drive it like one/
Typeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #82
bbrc76

My Ride: 06 M3 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typeslice View Post
It's a depreciating asset, not an investment....drive it like one/
+1
bbrc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:18 PM   #83
Nelson
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Alpin weiß ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhprez View Post
Yeah, I drive my 2003 M3 Cabrio all year long as well. Today we saw the single biggest snow storm yet and the M3 took to the roads with no problems at all. As long as you have four good snows, you're in good shape to enjoy the winter with your M3. I'm running a set of after market 17" M6 replica rims with 225/50R17 Hankook Ice Bear W300 tires. The set up is not staggared (which was what I intended) but they were special ordered so the offset allows the wheel to sit close to the outside of the wheel well fenders. I really have to laugh at those who think they can get away with it in trying to use four seasons.

I'm passing or keeping up with four by fours with no real issues. As long as you know how to drive in the snow, the M3 is confidence inspiring. Besides, it's fun drifting in the snow with the DSC switched off.

Before winter, I put on a coat of Klasse All-In-One. Gotta say this stuff from Germany does the job. It's very long lasting with solid protection from dirt and salt; the crap comes right off with a high pressure spray gun. I don't even need to describe the gloss finish as it's long lasting with water (and snow) sheeting action after two months. I'm pretty anal about the type of wax using everything from Zaino to professional grade stuff that you can only get if you're a shop.

I was thinking of getting a hard top but instead I treated the fabric top with Ragg Topp Roof Care. Thought that might be a more inexpensive option for now. Ragg Topp works great. Makes it easy to clean and protects the fabric roof like no other product I've tried.

One thing that does surprise me is the amount of heat this car has when set on high. Some commented that I'd be freezing my butt off with driving a cabrio in the winter with a fabric roof. On the contrary, I have to dial the heat setting down or else I'd be losing weight from the sauna like conditions the M3 can create.

I picked up my 2003 M3 black on black Cabrio earlier this spring and have pleasantly found out how well balanced this car is over four Canadian seasons. The M3 is a durable ride and not meant to be garage queen. It's enough that I have to store my Gixxer 750 sport bike over the winter.

I'd like to hear comments from others from their experiences.
Well said

///M
| eBay mod'ing sUUCks
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #84
Nelson
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Alpin weiß ///M
Snow tires hopefully on by next week. Got lucky last year and didn't need them.

///M
| eBay mod'ing sUUCks
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #85
BMWM3NYC

My Ride: 2007 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by snortdavis View Post
OK, you may have misunderstood me. The tires get hard, and there is some traction loss -- not like you're driving on ice or anything, but noticeable.

When I said I wouldn't drive it on the stock summer tires unless you paid my insurance, I meant on snow and ice.

And all-season tires are for minivans and SUV's, not sports cars.
Okay I agree with that.
BMWM3NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:55 PM   #86
iced_out_rsx

My Ride: 03 M3 SMG
I drive my car in the winter. I have a set of 17 with some blizzacks and the car is awesome in the winter. I was actully surprised at how well it dose in the snow
iced_out_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #87
calgarybmw

My Ride: '05 M3 6spd
LOL at this thread and the guys who treat their M3s like garage queens.

I live in the Canadian Rockies and can tell you with all certainty that M3s with winter tires (I use 18" staggered Dunlop wintersports) handle just as well if not better than any other car out there with all seasons including SUVs etc. I have no problem getting up hills, blowing by X5s, and driving through 6" of snow. I've owned many cars in my time and actually find my M3 handles better in the snow/cold than any other car I've ever owned including a Jeep Rubicon!

As for resale, I laugh at these people who baby their cars and then sell them with super low milage for just about the same price as a well used (winter) but cared for M3. what sense does it make to baby a car for the next owner? M3's depreciate no matter how much you drive it and how beautiful you think the car is. It's a car FFS, not a trophy to stare at in the garage. M3's are well tested and driven in the european winters much like more expensive Porsche cars.
calgarybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:03 PM   #88
k c

My Ride: None
huh M3 with snowtires beating SUVs? no problem getting up hills? driving through 6" of snow np? as much as i love M3s i call bullshits! lol

as for people garaging their M3s in winter let them do it, they obviously have better cars for the season. i wouldnt daily my M3 in winter and garage my 93' honda accord, thats just stupidity. anyways you cant even see M3s full potential in snow.

as for me, i do daily my M3 in winter because thats the only car i have and im thankful to be able to afford a bimmer at my age
k c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #89
calgarybmw

My Ride: '05 M3 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by k c View Post
huh M3 with snowtires beating SUVs? no problem getting up hills? driving through 6" of snow np? as much as i love M3s i call bullshits! lol
yeah, I'm making this up.

DSC, 50/50 weight, ABS, winter tires,.....this isn't exactly a torquey Mustang.
calgarybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:55 AM   #90
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Quote:
Yeah, I drive my 2003 M3 Cabrio all year long as well. Today we saw the single biggest snow storm yet and the M3 took to the roads with no problems at all. As long as you have four good snows, you're in good shape to enjoy the winter with your M3. I'm running a set of after market 17" M6 replica rims with 225/50R17 Hankook Ice Bear W300 tires. The set up is not staggared (which was what I intended) but they were special ordered so the offset allows the wheel to sit close to the outside of the wheel well fenders. I really have to laugh at those who think they can get away with it in trying to use four seasons.

I'm passing or keeping up with four by fours with no real issues. As long as you know how to drive in the snow, the M3 is confidence inspiring. Besides, it's fun drifting in the snow with the DSC switched off.

Before winter, I put on a coat of Klasse All-In-One. Gotta say this stuff from Germany does the job. It's very long lasting with solid protection from dirt and salt; the crap comes right off with a high pressure spray gun. I don't even need to describe the gloss finish as it's long lasting with water (and snow) sheeting action after two months. I'm pretty anal about the type of wax using everything from Zaino to professional grade stuff that you can only get if you're a shop.

I was thinking of getting a hard top but instead I treated the fabric top with Ragg Topp Roof Care. Thought that might be a more inexpensive option for now. Ragg Topp works great. Makes it easy to clean and protects the fabric roof like no other product I've tried.

One thing that does surprise me is the amount of heat this car has when set on high. Some commented that I'd be freezing my butt off with driving a cabrio in the winter with a fabric roof. On the contrary, I have to dial the heat setting down or else I'd be losing weight from the sauna like conditions the M3 can create.

I picked up my 2003 M3 black on black Cabrio earlier this spring and have pleasantly found out how well balanced this car is over four Canadian seasons. The M3 is a durable ride and not meant to be garage queen. It's enough that I have to store my Gixxer 750 sport bike over the winter.

Wow, I feel exactly the same as you!!! 2004 CB Cabrio here. It's my first winter (bought the car in July) so I haven't treated the ragtop with anything yet. I bought the BMW ragtop cleaner and protector which I will apply when I get around to washing it on a warmer day.

I completely agree re: the sauna conditions; it's shocking how hot it gets. I find I'm constantly reducing the heat setting from "3 red dots" to "white line" because it gets so hot. That's one thing I find weird, btw; why would there be a temperature setting when the "dot" setting is what truly controls the heat?! I hardly even use the heated seats for myself because it gets so hot so fast from the HVAC.

Re: handling, I can't imagine a better snow car. I've driven 4x4s (which are by far the best) and FWD and I find the M3 with its DSC and 4 Dunlop Wintersport M3s the best combo!!! As soon as you feel the tail is about to slide, the DSC kicks in and corrects the turn. And the second you hit wet asphalt, the acceleration returns to its beautiful "M" level. I can't ask for a better car to drive all year round.

The only thing that kills me is to see it so filthy dirty. I really need to find an underground parking lot that has self-service wash in the GTA.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:01 AM   #91
CAOSyAMOR

My Ride: 1) 2002 E46 2)///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybmw View Post

he speaks the truth. My friend has an E46 M3 with winter tires that outperforms pretty much everything..
Old 12-20-2007, 01:43 AM   #92
Sam M3

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 Vert
I don't have an e46, I have an e36 M3, but snow doesn't stop me on Dunlop winter tires. I've driven in significant amounts of snow. As long as you don't get stuck in dense, icy stuff that's higher than the bottom of your car, it's no problem. I've done donuts in 6+ inches of powder without a hint of getting stuck. I've enjoyed driving past SUVs and all sorts of other 4wd/fwd cars with all-season tires.

Many years ago(no idea which issue) there was a test in Car and Driver...They compared a rwd BMW 3 series(e46 i think, maybe e36) to an Audi A4 Quattro with all different types of tires in snow. The 3 series was much better in the snow than the Quattro with all-seasons, it wasn't even close...for those of you that are non-believers, spend a couple bucks and give it a try, you won't be sorry.

By the way, I have 187k miles on my car...no rust problems or any signs of extra wear from winter driving.

Last edited by Sam M3; 12-20-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Sam M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:29 AM   #93
koss_22

My Ride: 2002 CB M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybmw View Post

yep winters in calgary suck but i am on my second M3 and driving it all year around with 19" blizzaks in the winter
koss_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #94
nheric

My Ride: Former M Vert driver
Send a message via AIM to nheric
Quote:
Originally Posted by madchef View Post
Yeah, at least it only rains where you are
A 10mph trip into a guardrail in the middle of summer will cost a pretty penny to, but you don't see me hiding in my driveway. Driving in the winter is hardly "abuse", more like "use".
Never lost my car off the road in the summer, come close in the winter though on more than one occasion!

Quote:
I always have been able to keep my cars in mint condition even after driving in the winter. I fail to see how that lowers the value of the car. So you are saying the financially reasonable thing to do is to pay your monthly car payment so it can sit unused for a third-half of the year??
Me too! My 02 looks better than most people's 05's. However, of the three vehicles in my driveway, the two that have been out in the winter have both been hit by someone else that has lost control somehow some way. Despite my best efforts with snow tires etc, people can't drive when there is ice. One which accident caused 12k worth of damage to a 6 month old vehicle and the vehicle was NOT totaled. Try selling that one now! Granted its' payed of the value of the vehicle is far less than when it was a no accident vehicle. With that one accident I lost about 5 grand worth of value for something that was not my fault.

For this reason, and the fact that I have a high mileage sedan that is worth more to me to keep than it is to sell, I chose to keep my M3 a garage queen. My intentions was to have a nice toy, yes, it's a depreciating asset, but tell me why is it that southern cars are worth more than northern cars?

I have no doubt that the M3 could be a great winter car with the proper setup. Think your taking a huge chance if your running summer tires in the snow but I believe we all agree that's not the way to go. I have proof of that, my car was stuck in the driveway when I took it out of the garage in the snow. Don't hate because some of us keep the car a garage queen in the winter. I don't hate others for driving it year round, rock on. Understand we all have our reasons as to why we do or don't drive it. In my case I have the means to keep a third vehicle which by chance serves my family far better than a convertible does. The vert is my toy. It was my reward for all my efforts. I so choose to keep it garaged for 3 months a year despite making payments on it. For what I pay in interest on the car it's not worth paying it off right now. My money is (well should be) better off invested!
nheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #95
RudeBoiM3

My Ride: E46 BMW M3
I just picked up a set of 18" OEM M3 rims and am waiting on the delivery of Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires from tirerack.com....very excited!

Atleast the look of the car is not downgraded with some cheapo 17" aftermarket rims and I can still ride nice......
RudeBoiM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #96
gazfatha323i
E46 Spartan

My Ride: 04 CB/IR M3
Send a message via AIM to gazfatha323i
Whats wrong with All Seasons?

Quote:

I agree a dedicated winter setup is ideal... But for me I kive in Chicago and they often do a very good job cleaning the streets so there is rarly heavy snow to get through and a all season tire wont harden up in the winter like a pure sport summer tire would. Plus i used to hat switching out my wheels every season...not to mention its a huge pain... i hate the look of rollin on 17's.

So while i agree with everything else you said... i don't know about laughing at those running all seasons....thats what they are made for.

Carbon Black / IR ///M
gazfatha323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #97
Mahjik

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Send a message via ICQ to Mahjik Send a message via AIM to Mahjik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam M3 View Post
Many years ago(no idea which issue) there was a test in Car and Driver...They compared a rwd BMW 3 series(e46 i think, maybe e36) to an Audi A4 Quattro with all different types of tires in snow. The 3 series was much better in the snow than the Quattro with all-seasons, it wasn't even close...for those of you that are non-believers, spend a couple bucks and give it a try, you won't be sorry.
I can tell you for a fact that it's a bunch of marketing BS. I love my M3, but there is also an Audi A4 in my garage (car I bought for the wife). Even with all-seasons on that car, it does MUCH better than my M3 with snow tires on. I'm not saying my M3 with snow tires is horrible, I'm just saying don't compare AWD vehicles as its definitely apples to oranges.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #98
CJPatel

My Ride: E92 335, F430 Spider
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoiM3 View Post
I just picked up a set of 18" OEM M3 rims and am waiting on the delivery of Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires from tirerack.com....very excited!

Atleast the look of the car is not downgraded with some cheapo 17" aftermarket rims and I can still ride nice......
Good Point Sir.

But heres some shots of me in a snow storm during January 2007...

DD -
2011 550i X - MSport
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone:
2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Stratus White/Bitter Chocolate, coupe w/ Aston Martin Powerpack and Quicksilver exhaust
2003.5 Mystic Blue M3 6spd :(
2009 E92 335i, MSport, 6spd
CJPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #99
RangerX

My Ride: '03 330i / '04 Z4
Send a message via AIM to RangerX Send a message via MSN to RangerX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazfatha323i View Post
I agree a dedicated winter setup is ideal... But for me I kive in Chicago and they often do a very good job cleaning the streets so there is rarly heavy snow to get through and a all season tire wont harden up in the winter like a pure sport summer tire would. Plus i used to hat switching out my wheels every season...not to mention its a huge pain... i hate the look of rollin on 17's.

So while i agree with everything else you said... i don't know about laughing at those running all seasons....thats what they are made for.
All seasons absolutely suck when the snow starts sticking to the ground, or a road goes unplowed for a couple hours. It's a night and day difference...

I agree with you though, if you don't need them and road maintenance isn't an issue.. all seasons are fine.. Oh and if you are driving on good flat surfaces.

I prefer having snows and streets both. I don't like changing the wheels out, but here in VT there is snow every other day.
RangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #100
RangerX

My Ride: '03 330i / '04 Z4
Send a message via AIM to RangerX Send a message via MSN to RangerX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
I can tell you for a fact that it's a bunch of marketing BS. I love my M3, but there is also an Audi A4 in my garage (car I bought for the wife). Even with all-seasons on that car, it does MUCH better than my M3 with snow tires on. I'm not saying my M3 with snow tires is horrible, I'm just saying don't compare AWD vehicles as its definitely apples to oranges.
x2.

People just need to learn how to drive in the snow... I used to rock a ford escort GT way back in the day.

btw: You actually get measurable snow down there?
RangerX is offline   Reply With Quote