E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
JamesClay
Sponsor

My Ride: Any BMW with 4wheels
Winter Fun - BimmerWorld E46 M3 Racecar Build

It's that time again. Cold, dark early, and no track time without travel. I spent all year at the track, traveling and dreaming up cars to build and what would be super cool to play with. Now, its time to turn the dreaming into something drivable!

When I came up with this, I was on the way home from driving Chris Lewis's awesome E46 M3 CM car at VIR. That car was soooo fast right out of the box with just a good combination of the right parts - and so easy to drive. It is rare that a car is that impressive, but his is.

So now the wheels are turning - if we built this thing fully in-house, how would I do it? It is very straightforward - really an E46 World Challenge car, but with a wide open rulebook. So now all the cool stuff that we couldn't do, we can!

Unfortunately, the big stumbling block for me was time. If I built this thing, I would have to use it - we already have a building with some expensive dust holders and I don't intend to add another. I was at the track about 100+ days in 2007 in addition to running a business and a race team - a commitment to do more wasn't so smart...

But! A friend and I started discussing cars and I mentioned Chris's and that was the spark for the fire. Fan a little bit by some talk of a trip to TX, CA, etc for the 2008 BMW CR season. Now we get all the fun of building what I think will be a stellar club racing car, I have a great driver to drive it, and I get to jump in and play when time permits - win-win-win!

This project will result in a very solid car, but nothing so far on the exotic end that it takes black magic and some guy in a dark shed to recreate- no one offs allowed! The engine package will be fully based on our coming E46 M3 tuning line for street cars, including wet sump oiling. The suspension is not specially valved, just what all the companies involved tweaked through the years of racing E46 cars that is now incorporated in off-the-shelf parts. The brakes are Performance Friction, but out of their yet to be released street lineup which takes $3k monobloc calipers (per) and turns them into a $4k brake kit (OK - maybe there is some black magic involved). The chassis components will be lightened, but no widebodies and nothing wild. Add plenty of race goodies and more fabrication than you can shake a stick at and off we go!

As we go through the build process, we will post a lot of pictures and progress reports here.

First pictures coming shortly!
www.bimmerworldracing.com

Bimmer World
JamesClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
HA!!

I love it!

Will this be the grey or black car?
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:32 AM   #3
JamesClay
Sponsor

It is starting black. Grey is in my garage

Bimmer World
Old 12-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #4
M3peat

My Ride: 03 E46 M3
Looking forward to it and if you need anymore test mules, let me know.

Clint
M3peat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
flacoy2k

My Ride: 2002 M3
flacoy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #6
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
So when are you coming back down to Texas James? This is Greg with the black 330Ci from the club race school at Oktoberfest.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
So when are you coming back down to Texas James? This is Greg with the black 330Ci from the club race school at Oktoberfest.
Hi Greg-

Next year for some race. I would like to go to Eagle's Canyon, but I wouldn't mind hitting TWS again. Have to figure it out when all the schedules are out.

Bimmer World
Old 12-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Somebody email JamesC with directions how to use a camera!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
Somebody email JamesC with directions how to use a camera!

James Needed a subject first! Here are the first pictures of the donor car. It was a track car pre-incident (tire wall contact, fairly cosmetic), but we were able to save a bit of money by only taking the main car and a few goodies and letting the PO sell the rest that we were going to replace.

The good side:

Front:

The damage:

Damage close-ups - notice the door seam and fitment is still correct - the pillars didn't move. I don't like to fix wrecks and starting with a twisted shell may save some money up front, but I steer clear unless it is a real budget car. This cosmetic work will clean up nicely when it goes to the body shop:

Next step - strip it!

Bimmer World

Last edited by JamesClay; 01-01-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Pic hosting
Old 01-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #10
mkodama

Looks like an awesome project! I am somewhat sad you aren't going to add a wide body kit and put on some crazy wide tires or anything but either way I can't wait to see the outcome. Make sure to take plenty of pictures!

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #11
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I am somewhat sad you aren't going to add a wide body kit and put on some crazy wide tires or anything but either way I can't wait to see the outcome.
Maybe later. For now we are intentionally sticking with something that looks stock, doesn't have a dry-sump, etc to show that it doesn't take all that stuff to have a fast winning racecar.

Bimmer World
Old 01-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Ug!!! After seeing an E46 coupe with Bimmerworld cagework, I'm going to want to start over with my project.

Great to see another "build" thread on the forum though, if you need any tips feel free to PM me.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #13
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
Ug!!! After seeing an E46 coupe with Bimmerworld cagework, I'm going to want to start over with my project.

Great to see another "build" thread on the forum though, if you need any tips feel free to PM me.
Does a good project ever end? Thanks - email me your cell # and I will call for the last minute issues while we are trying to get it to the track

Bimmer World
Old 01-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #14
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
Does a good project ever end? Thanks - email me your cell # and I will call for the last minute issues while we are trying to get it to the track
Sorry, I don't give out my #.

Any more hints on the parts list? I'm really interested in the brakes you mentioned before...
Old 01-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #15
JamesClay
Sponsor

At some point the parts list will be fully public - we aren't trying to hide much on this car. The brakes are Performance Friction for their new street line. They have taken their full race calipers which typically cost about $1250 for a 2-piece and $3k for a monobloc per and made them less expensive. The coolest thing about this is they didn't cut big functionality out so what you get is really similar to what is run in World Challenge, Grand Am, CART, NASCAR, etc. It is a fully individualized program so we can put the kits together per customer for your specific application - and painting any color (ANY, including matching paint codes) is no charge. Fronts start at $2800, rears at $2000 for 2-piece, a little more for monobloc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZR31 Upgrade caliper for Mustang.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	254774  

Bimmer World
Old 01-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #16
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Updates?
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #17
JamesClay
Sponsor

Sorry - have been full speed on the WC cars getting ready for Sebring, plus building a new E36 car for the same weekend. Stripping finally started today. Everything comes off, sound deadening out, then off to be baked/dipped.

Still a good place to store all the junk (and some good stuff)

Hardly looks wrecked now! And some wheel pictures for Greg.

Starting to get there inside

Notice the prefered tool - I didn't even ask...

Bimmer World
Old 01-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #18
mkodama

Mmm... Nice wheels.

Thanks for showing the pics, I can't wait for more!

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #19
JamesClay
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Mmm... Nice wheels.
BBS RG-R - our shop rollers. Now if any of them were straight they would be really sweet...

Bimmer World
Old 01-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #20
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Here are a few tips from me, the ultimate BMW guru (me):

-It'll take the next size up ball peen hammer to get that engine out of the car.
-Use a #10.5 Knitting needle to punch 5 holes in that latex glove. This will give you the proper amount of airflow and the required filtering for that engine.

Other than that, the car looks like a winner.