E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 01:37 AM   #1
silver330ciman

My Ride: TiAg 330CI TS1
MPG gauge vacuum line hissing noise fix...DIY

After suspecting vacuum leak in the engine compartment for the past few weeks, I finally found the source of the vacuum leak. Thanks to this forum and a few fanatics who pointed me the right direction, I was able to nail this one. I know people have posted quick fix DIY before, but I thought I'd post this for anyone who wants to see pictures with it.

My symptoms: hissing noise around driver side AC vent that would come and go for the last few weeks and this week, it was more frequent. It always showed up driving at above 50mph when coasting. The noise would also be affected by moving the steering wheel. My car's performance did not seem diminished at all during all this. Because I just installed the ESS twinscrew system, I had suspected some kind of vacuum leak around the TS manifold area instead. That totally threw me off.

1. Remove the underpanel by the pedals by taking out the screws and rivets. The panel can then be unclipped at near the steering column.
2. This allows you to push the shims off the fasteners along the steering column and remove the bottom part of the column.

3. Look down along the steering "pole" and locate the black vacuum hose with the blue stripe on it. I'm holding the line in the pic below.

It seemed very difficult to trace the line to the connection points, so I just cut the defective piece out. I bought a new vacuum line for this, but I noticed the reason for failure was that the line was too long and extended onto the steering pole.

5. So, despite cutting off about 3 inches of the piece, all I had to do was use a connector to bind the separated vacuum line.
Here is the piece I removed.

6. Finished pic. The shorted line can now be nicely tucked into the original fastener.

7. Put the panel and the steering column cover back together.

Well, this helped me and I hope this can help those with the same problem.

Sig by hi its me alec

Last edited by silver330ciman; 12-27-2007 at 01:45 AM.
silver330ciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
mitchell172

My Ride: 2003 E46 325i
I just posted about a similar problem. I'm going to look into this. I hope this is my situation as well. I wonder what caused it to wear in that one area.
mitchell172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Malladawg
Beware of pwner

My Ride: 2000 323I OrientBlau
Send a message via AIM to Malladawg Send a message via MSN to Malladawg Send a message via Yahoo to Malladawg
Nice DIY.

Where did you get the connector from? Is there a specific size?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
So that is where that vacuum line goes...I see it in the engine bay going through the firewall but wondered where it went. It hooks into a line going into the vacuum reservoir and the other end coming out of the vacuum reservoir goes into the intake manifold. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
So that is where that vacuum line goes...I see it in the engine bay going through the firewall but wondered where it went. It hooks into a line going into the vacuum reservoir and the other end coming out of the vacuum reservoir goes into the intake manifold. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.
EDIT: Pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vacuum-reservoirx.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	380980  
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
aerosurfer

My Ride: 330ci Convertible
Just did this. Very straightforward and easy. My hose looked the same. I used a connector piece from my garden sprinklers. Its a rubber vacuum line, so the plastic connector just pushed right on. Piece and quiet now driving! No more white noise
aerosurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Tqui6@verizon.net

My Ride: 2001330ci
Wow. My 330ci makes the same sound....I never would have found it. Thanks!
Tqui6@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
cib0rgman

My Ride: 2002 325I
Will this also cause the cabin to smell like gas sometimes, My car form time to time specially when the Air conditioning is off smells like gas. I have no codes check fuel lines and no sign off leaks
cib0rgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
mapleblunt46

My Ride: 2000 328i

...... is this the same problem>>> i think i may need to do this. let me know if it the same sound
mapleblunt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
mapleblunt46

a few differnece i see that makes me think its different. it isnt a constant sound, when i first accerate my L/kms shoots up to 20 making this noise. then when i decellarate the same noise is heard. not nessasairly as im turning or when im going over 50mph. someone recommened this thread to me saying i have the same problem. let me know what you think
Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
mapleblunt46

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosurfer View Post
Just did this. Very straightforward and easy. My hose looked the same. I used a connector piece from my garden sprinklers. Its a rubber vacuum line, so the plastic connector just pushed right on. Piece and quiet now driving! No more white noise
im having problems locating the vaccum line
Old 09-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Rollk1

My Ride: 2001 330i
i'm having the EXACT problem. Did you figure out if it's the vacuum leak?
Rollk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
mapleblunt46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollk1 View Post
i'm having the EXACT problem. Did you figure out if it's the vacuum leak?

cannot locate the vaccum line canoot even see it. it isnt in the same spot as in the thread above. inspected the area sround the steering "pole" and could not locate any damaged peices. any one help
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
steveybrown

My Ride: 325i
I just looked at mine and I don't have the blue wire either. I pulled the speedo out from the dash and there was only 2 connectors running to it. I have a 04 2001 build Sedan. Wondering if it's maybe only the IC versions that have it

Coils and o2 sensors
wheel bearing
Control arm bushings
Oil pan gasket
New working remote key
steveybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
System77

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quick easy fix which I just did.. I think the hardest part was pulling out the plastic rivet on the right side of the panel. I used a connector which cost about $1.50 and irritating hiss problem solved. Thanks for the DIY!

Can anyone explain what this line does exactly? Since it is the MPG gauge, would the hole have explained why sometimes my gauge was reading far higher than seemed normal?

Last edited by System77; 08-31-2013 at 03:19 PM.
System77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
Dido1904

My Ride: 330ci
Done and Done. I would have never solve this issue on my own and YES that plastic rivet is a pain.
Dido1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #17
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Wow so it really is just a vacuum. And here I was thinking it was a bunch of engine and math calculations going on in the cluster
Old 03-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #18
Stingray230sx

My Ride: 2001 330Ci,
ok, my 330ci just started a similar sound this morning on the way to work, I hear the hissing of a vacuum leak while sitting at a stoplight, if I push on the brake pedal the hissing stops, no pedal and the hissing is there, right behind dash at driver side ac vent.

brakes work ok, don't really notice any noise on acceleration so wondering if I have a hose leak under dash as well?

thanks

doug
Stingray230sx is offline   Reply With Quote