E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
BrownMagic

My Ride: Stays topless
Video as promised :)

Hey guys,
As some of you may remember I was upgrading my standard Xenon lights to 8000K as I am not too fond of the factory xenon color. I ended up purchasing some really fairly priced bulbs at $35 each from www.cqlight.ca I promised after instal I would upload a video of the new lights, so let me know what you think!

BrownMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #2
grnbmr808

My Ride: green 4 da money 323
i think you have to much time on your hands becuase you made an edited video of you headlights. and i think you car sounds really horrible when you first show it but then the noises get quiter toward the end, was there a lawn mower or something next door? also, you should have shot this whole thing at night, since thats when you use headlights and so we could the light output of these cheap bulbs.

5% tint-cf emblems-blackout grill-smoked front corners and side markers-smoked led tails-alpine iva-d105 dvd deck-7 inch headrest screens-alpine mids/highs-15" kicker L7 sub-3000 watt sub amp-600 watt 4 channel amp-3 farad cap-removed 3rd brake light-debadged-xenon bulbs in exterior-xenon interior coversion-green fogs-replaced all trims/cowl-shaved antenna-*new paint job*
grnbmr808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
BrownMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnbmr808 View Post
i think you have to much time on your hands becuase you made an edited video of you headlights. and i think you car sounds really horrible when you first show it but then the noises get quiter toward the end, was there a lawn mower or something next door? also, you should have shot this whole thing at night, since thats when you use headlights and so we could the light output of these cheap bulbs.
This video is here because other people on this forum were as skeptical as I was about these headlight bulbs. It is simply a contribution to the forum. Basically I believe you have too much time on your hands to come to a forum and **** on someones thread because they are helping out other members.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
grnbmr808

as i said before, this video is useless unless its night time. reshoot it at night and it will be helpfull to other members and me who may think about geting these cheaper bulbs if the light output on the road is the same as the more expensive ones or your stock bulbs, we cant tell this by looking at them in the daytime. understand me? you shouldnt have asked what i think at the end of your post if you didnt want to hear what i think.

now that i watch the video again, the sound is more like a diesel truck than a lawnmower. ive never heard a bmw that loud at idleing, if it is your car thats making that noise, which i hope its not.

5% tint-cf emblems-blackout grill-smoked front corners and side markers-smoked led tails-alpine iva-d105 dvd deck-7 inch headrest screens-alpine mids/highs-15" kicker L7 sub-3000 watt sub amp-600 watt 4 channel amp-3 farad cap-removed 3rd brake light-debadged-xenon bulbs in exterior-xenon interior coversion-green fogs-replaced all trims/cowl-shaved antenna-*new paint job*
Old 01-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
damn that is a loud ass idle. something is wrong with your car if that's what's your car sounds like. also, going from stock to 8000k, is not upgrading. it's downgrading. you're going to be blind as hell.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
BrownMagic

Quote:
as i said before, this video is useless unless its night time. reshoot it at night and it will be helpfull to other members and me who may think about geting these cheaper bulbs if the light output on the road is the same as the more expensive ones or your stock bulbs, we cant tell this by looking at them in the daytime. understand me? you shouldnt have asked what i think at the end of your post if you didnt want to hear what i think.

now that i watch the video again, the sound is more like a diesel truck than a lawnmower. ive never heard a bmw that loud at idleing, if it is your car thats making that noise, which i hope its not.
Go screw yourself.

Understand me?

If this video doesn't cater to your needs go find one that does. It is what it is, it will be helpful to some and not to others. If it isn't helpful to you find what you are looking for and don't bother me.

To be honest this is a disappointment. I have never had a bad experience for posting on this forum and honestly thought it was filled with better people. You are a discrace to yourself, this forum, community and BMW owners in general.

You talk about me having "too much time on my hands" but I sincerley bet that it took me less time to post that video than it took you to make your overly emphasized signature. This video actually does help some people -contrary to your beliefs.

As I mentioned earlier about the noise - it is merely the mic flaring on the camera. The motor is fine, the mic is merely too sensitive.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
BrownMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
damn that is a loud ass idle. something is wrong with your car if that's what's your car sounds like. also, going from stock to 8000k, is not upgrading. it's downgrading. you're going to be blind as hell.
I thought the same thing also - it actually isn't that bad; I can see just as far as when it was stock. Ha ha riding in my friends car with 13000K, now that's blind. Unsafe in my opinion.

I will take some video of the car in motion at night, hopefully that will be a good contrast.

And on a further note, this did change the look of the car so I do consider it an upgrade.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
sillieidiot

i hope you're comparing the same things when you're comparing distances. you should be looking at the ground when you're comparing. because blue is very reflective, all the reflectors and signs will be bright, so you will think it's as bright as stock. if you ever find a black road with no reflectors and then compare, you will see the difference tremendously. because the ground will absorb most of your blue light.

i guess, but it's more of a color change then an upgrade. much like changing your dpe's to stock rims. that's an appearance change, but that's not exactly an upgrade.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
BrownMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
i hope you're comparing the same things when you're comparing distances. you should be looking at the ground when you're comparing. because blue is very reflective, all the reflectors and signs will be bright, so you will think it's as bright as stock. if you ever find a black road with no reflectors and then compare, you will see the difference tremendously. because the ground will absorb most of your blue light.

i guess, but it's more of a color change then an upgrade. much like changing your dpe's to stock rims. that's an appearance change, but that's not exactly an upgrade.
Agreed - there of course will be a depletion in light output but I wouldn't say that I would be "blind as hell" the light wont be as great as stock but I think it is a fair trade off for color vs output. As mentioned earlier I think this is the best trade off to make.

And I wouldn't consider any cosmetic change an upgrade. Changing DPE's to stock is an cosmetic change - changing light output for a stronger look is an enhancement to the look itself. It's functionality is not part of this equation. So as this is an enhancement to the look of the car I consider it an upgrade.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:

i'm sorry who are you?

at least he contributed something to the forum.... go look at all of your threads, all you do is ask questions

Old 01-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #11
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Wow...at first I thought your car was a deisel.

Nice lights though.

Personally I think 8000k is a bit much. But looks nice regardless.

Nice work on the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
grnbmr808

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownMagic View Post
Go screw yourself.

Understand me?

If this video doesn't cater to your needs go find one that does. It is what it is, it will be helpful to some and not to others. If it isn't helpful to you find what you are looking for and don't bother me.

To be honest this is a disappointment. I have never had a bad experience for posting on this forum and honestly thought it was filled with better people. You are a discrace to yourself, this forum, community and BMW owners in general.

You talk about me having "too much time on my hands" but I sincerley bet that it took me less time to post that video than it took you to make your overly emphasized signature. This video actually does help some people -contrary to your beliefs.

I didnt see you mention this anywhere-
As I mentioned earlier about the noise - it is merely the mic flaring on the camera. The motor is fine, the mic is merely too sensitive.
my sig was compiled over time to let you know, as i got new stuff i added it to my sig.

how does your video help people? is it so they can see that your bulbs are blue now instead of stock, WOW.

if you didnt want to hear what i said you should have never asked. i just didnt think all the editing was neccessary, could have just posted up the video of before and after light output at night on the ground where it really matters.

Last edited by grnbmr808; 01-02-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #13
tblue3cibm

My Ride: allroad / Hayabusa
Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #14
grnbmr808

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr4884 View Post
i'm sorry who are you?

at least he contributed something to the forum.... go look at all of your threads, all you do is ask questions

go look at all my posts, all i do is answer other people questions on their threads, then when i got q's i make my own thread, isnt that what youre supposed to do on here?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
///A

My Ride: e92 335is JB4
Quote:
lol, who the hell is this guy?

Why are you b!tchin' at something that doesn't belong to you? Go find something better to do than cry over someone's contribution.

to OP, visually it def. looks better than the stock color, but I would've preferred something blue for myself

- Retired -

Last edited by ///A; 01-02-2008 at 11:30 PM.
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #16
grnbmr808

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///A View Post
lol, who the hell is this guy?

Why are you b!tchin' at something that doesn't belong to you? Go find something better to do than cry over someone's contribution.

to OP, visually it def. looks better than the stock color, but I would've preferred something blue for myself

as i already said i wouldnt have given him my opinion or "*****ing" in your words if he didnt ask for it. im just leting him know that the video would be a lot more helpfull to me and others if it showed the light output at night, when headlights are used. thats it.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:37 AM   #17
///A

My Ride: e92 335is JB4
Quote:
as i already said i wouldnt have given him my opinion or "*****ing" in your words if he didnt ask for it. im just leting him know that the video would be a lot more helpfull to me and others if it showed the light output at night, when headlights are used. thats it.
when you tell someone he has too much time on his hands because he made an edited video, it isn't a constructive criticism.

- Retired -
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 AM   #18
T330

My Ride: X5
Send a message via AIM to T330
Old 01-03-2008, 05:24 AM   #19
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownMagic View Post
Agreed - there of course will be a depletion in light output but I wouldn't say that I would be "blind as hell" the light wont be as great as stock but I think it is a fair trade off for color vs output. As mentioned earlier I think this is the best trade off to make.

And I wouldn't consider any cosmetic change an upgrade. Changing DPE's to stock is an cosmetic change - changing light output for a stronger look is an enhancement to the look itself. It's functionality is not part of this equation. So as this is an enhancement to the look of the car I consider it an upgrade.
yea my bad, you're right light won't be as great. i should revise my statement. you will be blind as hell in the fog/rain or dark road with no reflectors.

but yea, i agree. with you i guess. the definition of an upgrade is somewhat subjective here depending on the person/style of modding.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #20
VonClippings

My Ride: '99 TiAg 328i
Send a message via AIM to VonClippings
Thank you BrownMagic, I thought you video was helpful. And cool lights.
VonClippings is offline   Reply With Quote