E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Wheels and Tires

Wheels and Tires
Wheels and tires for your BMW. Stock and aftermarket wheels, tires, spacers, lug bolts, center caps, etc....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #21
OnTheGreen

My Ride: 2001 325IT "Wagon"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo346 View Post
fed ex sucks, DHL is cheaper and you can do all the same things and they are faster.
Fedex does not suck.

And how many DHL drop off locations are in the average town? Next to none.

Troll!
OnTheGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #22
Agent31

My Ride: LSB///M3
Great thread!

I had a similar experience earlier this year when I was trying to sell some tires

I had 3 different buyers bail out on me after I told them how much shipping would be and I informed them that they would be responsible for shipping costs. Ultimately sold them to someone local.

If you you're offering shipping as an option, best thing to do is go down to your local fedex/ups/dhl etc. store and have them weigh and measure your item exactly how it's going to be shipped so that once you have an interested buyer, all you have to do is get their zip code and go online to figure out the exact shipping cost. This will prevent any hidden fees/costs that might be associated with shipping your item, especially if it is in a large or heavy box, or in multiple boxes.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 AM   #23
snortdavis

My Ride: 2006 M3, 6mt TiAg/Bk
Quote:
Originally Posted by fu98 View Post
this is an inexpensive alternative to shipping wheels with tires....

from this post...

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...70&postcount=4

Seriously, this works great. Especially if your tires aren't "stretched" on the rims, so they actually protect the rims. I shipped four 17" winter wheels and tires, USPS priority mail insured from Germany (APO) to Michigan, for $150 (about $32 per wheel). Didn't pay for any packing materials except tape (one roll). And, they'll all fit in your car without boxes.

///M3 '06 COUPE 6MT, SCHWARZ/GRAUR.I.P.
///M3 '06 COUPE 6MT, TITAN SILBER/SCHWARZ -- NO SUNROOF
snortdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #24
OnTheGreen

Or another option is to have the buyer pay for the wheels/tires seperate. They agree to pay for the shipping cost once the wheels are sent. It may be a hassle to pay twice, but it should give each party a piece of mind knowing they are charging/paying an exact cost.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #25
sportrider90

My Ride: BMW 2003 325Ci coupe
Ditch the tires (sell locally). People buy a wheelset for the metal, not the rubber.They can always go to tirerack to get a good set of tires for cheap if they really want tires on the wheels but want to keep their costs down.
sportrider90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #26
LakeShow
Millennium Bankers Mortgage

My Ride: is almost finished!
Send a message via AIM to LakeShow Send a message via Yahoo to LakeShow
This is a great thread! I've shipped to the eastcoast, westcoast and the price differs from $150-$270. Sometimes people dont realize how much it is to ship wheel/tire combo. Plus the time it takes to pack them well. Hopefully fufture buyers will look in this thread so they can see the "true" cost of shipping wheels!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #27
Joeysauce

My Ride: E46 330ci
I shipped the same as FU98, I shipped 4 18" wheels and tire to canada, and cost me $150 total including an international broker fee. I used USPS
Joeysauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #28
SledgeHammer!

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3
Lets not forget that almost all the major shippers raised rates by 3% to 5% on 1/1/08, so for those of you who last shipped before that... heads up . Shipping rates have become CRAZY due to fuel costs. I sold a Tivo on eBay and it cost me $22 just to ship that *sigh*.
SledgeHammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #29
OnTheGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer! View Post
Lets not forget that almost all the major shippers raised rates by 3% to 5% on 1/1/08, so for those of you who last shipped before that... heads up . Shipping rates have become CRAZY due to fuel costs. I sold a Tivo on eBay and it cost me $22 just to ship that *sigh*.
Fedex 50 pound box from San Diego, CA. to NY for $44.00

There are still deals out there.

Every shipper has a rate calculater on their sites, it's worth taking a few minutes to punch in the zip code and estimated weight and see what the cost is.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:44 AM   #30
CiRaceTechnik
If I was a drug, Id be DOPE

My Ride: E46.ZHP
Send a message via AIM to CiRaceTechnik
if you ship them out the way that fu98 is saying i have had first hand experiences with a friend who tried shipping them out via ups and fedex, and i guess sometimes you gotta find the right place to ship them out because sometimes they will not let you ship it out that way unless you are a major wheel company who does this regularly, such as tirerack. so before you go wrapping it up in tape and cardboarding the faces, make sure the company you want to ship it out with will let you do so.

i have shipped out pretty much every set of wheels i have sold, and i have found that the best place to get boxes to ship them out in are the trash cans behind the wheel places, such as america's tire co and just tires, because they regularly throw away boxes from their wheels. if you want, you can even ask them if they have any that they will be willing to give you. at this rate, you will be able to save $$$ instead of buying boxes. other than shipping, all i had to buy was a couple rolls of tape, which can be had pretty much anywhere.

I have used a box for a 20" wheel to ship out 19" wheels+tires, and found a 22" wheel box and cut parts of it to make it fit around a 20" wheel+tire. i then used another box to put around the faces of the wheel, and folded up pieces of cardboard to fill up the corner gaps between the tire and the outside box. as a result, you will be using 2 boxes for each wheel you ship out. after that, just wrap it up in a lot of tape. the more tape you use, the more peace of mind you will have that it wont open, and thats also more cushion too!

realistically, imo, shipping will cost under $200, i have yet to encounter shipping a set for more than $180. IMO local buyers would be a lot easier! haha, shipping wheels is a PITA!!! good luck guys and gals!

Falken Tires | Function & Form Suspension | Meguiars
CiRaceTechnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #31
4 door 330

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fu98 View Post
this is an inexpensive alternative to shipping wheels with tires....

from this post...

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...70&postcount=4
Shipped like this with DHL, they came and picked it up at my house, $62 for all four wheels with tires VA to WA.

2001 330i 4dr - In the garage.
1986 335is - Sold.
1975 2002 - Sold.
1989 E30 M3 - Sold.
4 door 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #32
fu98

My Ride: 2002 m3 6mt
on the topic of shipping them like pictured.. i asked a guy at the ups store if i could ship them like that to save money on package weight and he said they had to charge 10 dollars more because it would be considered irregular...

i was like...hmmm
fu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #33
shimajer

My Ride: 04 bmw
I think you guys are paying way to much to ship them..

here's a great read ... from scion forum..

"Have you ever seen one of those awesome deals on a slick set of wheels with tires on them, damn near brand new, no curb rash, 90% tread left on the tires, selling for about two thirds of what they are truly worth? You get all excited about it right? Start asking the seller if he will mail them to you because you live 1500 miles away. Then you get the shipping quote, $300.00! Man, now it's not even worth it, you could get the same wheels brand new down the street at that price.

Why do people charge so much to ship wheels? Why do they charge even more when there are tires on the wheels? How can I ship wheels for less than what UPS quotes me?

Let's start at the root of the problem: the carrier (typically UPS or Fed-Ex).
Most shipping companies will make you pay extra if they know you are shipping wheels. They justify the price increase by saying that an automobile wheel is odd shaped and easily damaged, they call it an insurance charge. They will charge you even more still if there are tires on these wheels because of added weight and the probability of a punctured tire. I've even had a sales representative at a UPS store tell me I need to remove the valve stems from the wheels before I could ship them. I never got an explanation as to why, but I'm sure it made no sense.

Because of the difficulties when trying to package and ship wheels/tires at carriers store, people tend to get discouraged. Most sellers will refuse to ship their wheels because of the hassle involved. Some will just jack the price way up to compensate for all the extra work involved. It doesn't have to be that way.

Here is a step by step method for shipping wheels AND tires (with the valve stems still on them) for under $100.00 And just to further prove my point, I am going to make my example wheels a little heavier than normal. I'm also going to ship them a long distance, from Indianapolis to Sacramento. I will be using UPS to ship my imaginary wheels.

The first thing you need to do is secure a commercial address that has a daily pickup. This is a simple task. You can ship them from your place of work, which is what I do. Most businesses have a daily UPS or Fed-Ex pickup/drop off. You just hand the packages to your driver and he takes it form their. If you don't have a daily at your place of employment, bring your packages to the UPS distribution center closest to you. DO NOT BRING THEM TO A UPS/FED-EX STORE! If you do this, you will screw yourself and end up paying big money. Distro centers have customer service buildings that will take your packages as long as they are 100% ready to go, this means sealed up and labeled. It will also help if your buyer has a commercial address they can pick the wheels up at. UPS charges less to ship to a commercial address than they do to a residential address.

Next, you need a UPS online account. Go to UPS.com to sign up. Also, you will need a place to print off your labels, so if you don't have a printer, head for the library!

Now that you got the particulars out of the way you are ready to package up some wheels and tires! Damn, these wheels are heavy bastards - 55 pounds a piece. You will need four boxes, one for each wheel. You can get these from a mover (uhaul sells boxes) http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=2793
for less than 3 bucks each. Staples and Office Max also sell boxes for around that same price. Make sure your wheels fit snugly inside the boxes, don't pick huge boxes for your wheels. I am using 18x18x16 inch boxes. I am going to cut the height down to about 10 inches so my wheels fit more securely in the package. So far I have spent around $12.00 to package up my wheels. I just used old news paper to fill in the empty space inside my boxes. Also, don't worry about deflating your tires all the way, just bring them down to about 10 psi.

Now that I've got my boxes all weighed and measured, I can get my labels printed off at UPS.com. Four boxes at 60 lbs a piece, and I am shipping them from Indianapolis IN, 46228 to Sacramento CA, 95843. I packaged them up myself and I am using UPS ground to get them there. My cost is $56.52 and it should only take 4-6 days for them to arrive at their destination.

It's a little more if they are going to a residential address, but not much. About $64.53 to ship to someones home.

You can calculate your own shipment here:
https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?...&WT.svl=SubNav

Now I just print out my labels, secure them to the boxes with clear packaging tape, and either give them to my daily pick up or drop them off at a distribution center near me. DO NOT TELL THEM YOU ARE SHIPPING WHEELS!!! If the carrier finds out they are wheels and tires, they will hit you with a back charge.

I spent less than $70.00 to ship my imaginary wheels, and they were extremely heavy and going across the country!

I hope this helps some people out there when they sell or buy their next set of wheels. Remember, package your own wheels and tires, print your own labels, try to ship to a commercial address, and don't tell the carrier what is in the box!"
Old 02-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #34
SledgeHammer!

My Ride: 2005 E46 M3
Thats funny... I just did the quote online of 4 boxes at 36lbs a piece (150lbs) from California to NY and got quoted $184.76. Just for arguments sake, I used your imaginary #s (and zip codes) and got quoted $84 and change. No idea why it costs an extra $100 to go an extra 200 miles when you are already going 2500 miles. Your numbers were heavier and one less zone though. Perhaps its cheaper to go from East to West vs. West to East for time zone reasons.
SledgeHammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #35
00bmw323

My Ride: 00 323/91 integra RS
i actually called around and UPS is by far the cheapest!
00bmw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 PM   #36
Bimmer9938

My Ride: Eric's MOM
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer9938
I always buy some long bolts, washers and lock nuts and bolt two wheels face to face, shipping two as one package always saves you tons!

FB: Jonny Sorgio www.BigBlackH2.com
Bimmer9938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:59 AM   #37
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 door 330 View Post
Shipped like this with DHL, they came and picked it up at my house, $62 for all four wheels with tires VA to WA.
you're kidding me right? I am not getting any quotes less than $200 from OH to CA.. how did you do it?

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 03-13-2008 at 01:07 AM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #38
tizsuperrq

My Ride: 04 325i
Send a message via AIM to tizsuperrq
Try to stay local for rim sale ...u'll save $$ in the end..
Old 04-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #39
apollotrance1

My Ride: '02 330i, '05 GSXR1k
Good thread, I also mispriced the shipping cost by $100 and ate it........ you always learn from your mistakes lol
apollotrance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #40
samm376'

My Ride: 2003 M3 CB 6MT
All these are nothing I split the cost with someone to trade an exhaust and ship my OEM 19" wheels to Hawaii. Total to ship across the pacific was $640 with packaging from Chicago-Maui UPS
TCK D/A 550/600 Camber Plates/RSM, 19" Volk RE30, ZHP Shifter, Schroth 4pt Harnesses, Black CF Trim, M Pedals, Clutch Stop, CDV, RP Trans, NGK Iridium, V1 Hardwired, Euro Tray, Optima Red, W505, JL 10W7, 750xi Titan, aFe S.1, AP Headers, Raceflow SS Sec.1+2, 2xAR25, Dixis 76MM Ti Exhaust, RE Pulleys, Shark Injector Race, CSL Brakes, SS Lines, PFC 97 Pads, ZEX 100 Shot, CSL Bumper/Trunk/Diffuser, Depo Smoked Corners, MYCARR 6000k
samm376' is offline   Reply With Quote