E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Wheels and Tires

Wheels and Tires
Wheels and tires for your BMW. Stock and aftermarket wheels, tires, spacers, lug bolts, center caps, etc....

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #81
Older/Nowiser

My Ride: 02 M3 Rag
Wheel Shipping COST !!

$$$$$ Sad But True $$$$$
Older/Nowiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #82
jmarsh9967

My Ride: 330 cic
i agree im in the Air soft business and the shipping sometime cost more then the actual item. especially when your importing.
jmarsh9967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #83
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Shipped a set of OEM M3 19s from va beach to central nj, via UPS for $100.
i thought it was weird, but for me, shipping to jersey seems cheaper as i think its a route they do daily. So thats also a factor.
These rims were not light tho, 29 for the rears and 26 for the fronts, dude put em in 2 boxes, 2 fronts, 2 rears, nicely padded with cardboard all around.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #84
Devilot28

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
You can get boxes at Uline. Generally 20 x 20 x 24 will fit up to will fit 2 18" wheels. Shipping to residential is always more expensive than shipping to businesses, just FYI. =)
Devilot28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #85
Lucky579

My Ride: Porsche 911
Send a message via AIM to Lucky579
Saw this on another forum and wanted to share here.

I had positive results with ShipNex, and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPorsche

How to Package and Ship Wheels & Tires
1. Go to Home Depot

- Buy
2 Large Storage Boxes (1.29 each)
1 Tatar Packing Tape Dispenser (6.97)
1 Extra Roll of Packing Tape (3.37)
1 Razor Blade with 3 replaceable blades (1.98)

2. Lay box out flat

3. Cut box in half with razor blade

4. Open box

5. Lay wheel and tire on top of box, use razor blade and cut the excess material away

6. Tape this part to the face of the wheel with packing tape

7. Cut excess material into square partitions

8. Flip wheel over and secure with packing tape

9. Wrap tape around wheel and cardboard leaving little or no rubber exposed.

10. Check out ShipNex (for the most cost effective shipping rates)
ShipNex uses UPS for Standard Ground Shipping and FedEx for any Express Shipping.
By using ShipNex you are able to get wholesale shipping rates 40-50% less than retail rates.
(It's amazing how much you can save as a consumer cutting out the retailer part of the operation.)

11. Print shipping labels and attach it to the front of each wheel.
The shipping label will also denote the shipping provider FedEx or UPS.

12. Request pickup ~$6.00 or lug them down to your local retailer shipping location.Again ShipNex uses FedEx for Express Shipments & UPS for any Ground Shipments.

Notes:
ShipNex can offer the most cost effective solutions to your shipping needs, because of the wholesale rates available and contracts they hold with FedEx & UPS.

When I compared prices to ship a set of wheels & tires (18 x 8.5 w/ 235/35/18 tyres ~210lbs)
I was quoted $416 via UPS, $376 via USPS, $308 via FedEx, and $206 via ShipNex to
ship from the West Coast to the East Coast.

2 Large boxes from Home Depot offer enough material to cover (4) wheels up to 20'' front and back.

How to Ship Wheels:

1. Go to Home Depot

-Buy
2 Large Storage Boxes (1.29)
2 Medium Storage Boxes (1.18)
1 Tatar Packing Tape Dispenser (6.97)
1 Razor Blade with 3 replaceable blades (1.98)

2. Open box and securely tape the bottom

3. Cut a medium sized storage box in half

4. Place wheel on top of cardboard and cut excess material away

5. Cover the face and the back of the wheel with cardboard

6. Secure with packing tape (no need to go overboard with tape here)

7. Place an old towel, blanket, or pillow on the bottom of the box

8. Place wheel inside of box

9. Place the 2nd wheel on top of the first and use excess cardboard for added protection around the edges of the wheels

10. With any extra space on top stuff it with newspaper, a beach or bath towel, an old pillow, a blanket or anything that will keep the wheels from shifting around too much in transit.

11. Secure box and label which way is up

10. Check out ShipNex (for the most cost effective shipping rates)

11. Enter dimensions and weight, select package instead of freight

12. Print shipping labels and attach them to the top of the box.

13. Request pickup ~$6.00 or lug them down to your local UPS shop for Ground Shipments or FedEx for Express Shipments. ShipNex holds contracts with these companies and allows their customers to get the wholesale rates.

Notes:
A large size storage box will fit 2 rims up to a 18x14 size, extra large boxes will be
needed for anything bigger.

How to Ship Tires

Simply Print Shipping label from ShipNex (for the most cost effective shipping rates)
using Size and Weight

Use packing tape to attach the label.

Notes:
In some cases it may be more cost effective to attach 2 tires to one another and print
one shipping label for 2 tires vs. individually shipping each tire.

It is perfectly fine to leave rubber exposed for shipping.

Now you know how to ship wheels and tires safely and effectively! Happy Motoring

Lucky579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #86
N54

My Ride: M3
greyhound

I have shipped things pretty cheaply on Greyhound bus.they put them in the luggage area. I haven't done it for a while but it is worth checking out. it was the cheapest way. dependable. there seems to be Greyhound terminals in most cities.
N54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #87
sergio

My Ride: E46/330xi E90/335xi
Guys,

When I purchase wheels/tires and take the shipping costs very serious and use my business travel habits, to make the deal happen. If the location of tires/wheels are out of reach within my business travels or family travels, then I use 2nd option.

My 2nd option, is the rideshare program that exists on craigslist and kijiji and ebay classifieds. I post an ad, looking for a ride for my tires from city A to city B. The ad is free, and I usually post it on both cities (pickup city and drop off city). It works!!!!!! The last set of wheels/tires I got were from Kitchener, ON, delivered to Montreal, QC and it costs me 40$.

I got better service then Fed ex

Good luck to all! I hope this helps some think out the options, before making the purchase.

Sergio
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #88
EuroE46 330ci

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Re: Friendly warning to 1st time wheel sellers...

Hey everyone,

Just sharing my experience with greyhoud. Was moving back from Chicago to LA and shipped my stock rims 17" with tires, 40-45lbs each, 2 19" tires alone, plus 5 boxes with miscellaneous things from clothes to books to stock springs... weight ranging from 65-25lbs. All shipped for $180 and arrived 2 days after I did... I drove!

Also cheapest/easiest way to pack your wheels I found was to buy saran wrap from home depot, about $10 for a huge roll and hit up your local pizza/pie joint, ask for the cardboard pizza bottoms... if they're nice you can get'em free, if not kick down a couple of bucks and grab 10... XL size, already pre-cut to fit your rims (tires don't really need protection) ... pizza tray on each side of your wheel, wrap, drop off at greyhoud, and pick up at greyhound. And by pizza joint I mean your local mom&pop joint not pizza hut!

Everything arrived without issues and there were greyhound stops located within a few miles of me. I would def recommend greyhound and they don't care if your shipping rims, tires, or whatever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
EuroE46 330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #89
UNFORGIVEN
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Bagged Stang, 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroE46 330ci View Post
Hey everyone,

Just sharing my experience with greyhoud. Was moving back from Chicago to LA and shipped my stock rims 17" with tires, 40-45lbs each, 2 19" tires alone, plus 5 boxes with miscellaneous things from clothes to books to stock springs... weight ranging from 65-25lbs. All shipped for $180 and arrived 2 days after I did... I drove!
That's great that it worked out so well for you. My first (and last) experience was not so hot.

Not sure if this was mentioned already. One thing that most people don't know about Greyhound... passengers luggage take priority over shipping packages. If the cargo bay is full with luggage, packages will have to wait for the next available space.

They also didn't handle my package (CF trunk) well. It's pretty funny how some of us have a great experience with a company, then some of us just the opposite with the same exact company.

It's all a luck of the draw I guess.

Special thanks to Mr. AWD for the new sig...
UNFORGIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #90
EuroE46 330ci

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Re: Friendly warning to 1st time wheel sellers...

Very true! I guess it is just the luck of the draw. Sorry to hear about the cf trunk... I would have been pissed to.

EuroE46 330ci is offline   Reply With Quote