E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #21
charper140

My Ride: 2002 325xi
I finished the job in about 3 hours and it solved the leak. The parts in those photos look very familiar. The old gasket was plasticized and came off in chunks. Very happy to be rid of my oil drips now.
charper140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #22
jai_c

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrab View Post
I did the seal replacement a couple of weeks ago. Here are a few pics:
do u have the part # for this gasket?
jai_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #23
meansartin14

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jai_c View Post
do u have the part # for this gasket?
BMW Part No. 11421719855

$4.45 from www.getbmwparts.com

#31 in the illustration below:

... or #6 at the link below:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...01&hg=11&fg=30
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
2001 BMW 330ci Convertible (gone, but not forgotten)
2003 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra (gone, but not forgotten)

DIY: Convertible Top Interior Trim Flap Repair

Last edited by meansartin14; 07-23-2008 at 03:22 PM.
meansartin14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #24
silverslider

Housing rubber gaskets are a very common leakage, fairly simple to do.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:43 PM   #25
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie222 View Post
hi new on here......leak from oil filter housing,anyone had the same problem ?
STOP!!! is it leaking from around the oil filter cap?
if so, i had this problem, i bought a new cap and it leaks no more.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:12 AM   #26
eli1026

My Ride: 318i Executive 2002
Send a message via Skype™ to eli1026
Hi. I'm a newbie and I have the same problem. Leak is obviously coming between the oil filter housing and engine block but not much. Say a small drop a day. This occurred when I changed my oil to Mobil 5W-50 fully synthetic. Can it be a reason because of low viscousity? or my gasket is starting to wear off?
eli1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #27
kwikt

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli1026 View Post
Hi. I'm a newbie and I have the same problem. Leak is obviously coming between the oil filter housing and engine block but not much. Say a small drop a day. This occurred when I changed my oil to Mobil 5W-50 fully synthetic. Can it be a reason because of low viscousity? or my gasket is starting to wear off?

Do a search for oil housing gasket. I replaced mine 2 months ago and wrote a step by step. The gasket was shot. Cost was about $7 and 2 hours of work. The stealer was going to charge $700. Why of course!!!! It was a pretty simple job!
kwikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #28
eli1026

My Ride: 318i Executive 2002
Send a message via Skype™ to eli1026
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikt View Post
Do a search for oil housing gasket. I replaced mine 2 months ago and wrote a step by step. The gasket was shot. Cost was about $7 and 2 hours of work. The stealer was going to charge $700. Why of course!!!! It was a pretty simple job!

Thanks bro. I'll do that.
eli1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #29
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
just saying... you may just need a $30 cap...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...stent+oil+leak
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:46 PM   #30
rome5982

My Ride: 99 323i
I replaced my gasket and now no leaks................good write up. This is a medium difficulty job just because of the layers of stuff you have to remove and reinstall to get to the gasket. Very "doable" though for those who are used to performing their own maintenance tasks (water pump, spark plugs, belts, etc).

18"ASA AR1/H&R CupKit/ECIS CAI/Stromung Exhaust/Zimmerman Rotors/Aluminum Interior Trim & Face Gauges/G2 Calipers/Clear Corners/Autometer Gauges/Mtech Front Bumper/Chrome Grill/UUC Shift Knob/OEM Rear Spoiler/Painted Moldings/Silver Gauge Rings/JL Audio 12W3V2 & 6.5 Coax/BA 6.5 ProSeries/Kicker KX600.4
rome5982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:07 PM   #31
kwikt

Glad everything went well. Feels good not having to pay the Stealer

Kevin
Old 08-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #32
redronin

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rome5982 View Post
I replaced my gasket and now no leaks................good write up. This is a medium difficulty job just because of the layers of stuff you have to remove and reinstall to get to the gasket. Very "doable" though for those who are used to performing their own maintenance tasks (water pump, spark plugs, belts, etc).
you guys are a lot of help. i have a viscous oil leak (my own fault im sure) and i am just about to try to locate it. i thought it was the oil pressure switch but this may be a likely candidate as well,

just a question before i go look for myself, do you guys pull the aggregate from the top or drop it? to get to it from the top i need to remove my sc and to remove that i need to remove a whole bunch of other stuff.... pita.
redronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #33
kwikt

The oil housing removes from the side then through the air box area. Hope this helps!
Old 08-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #34
redronin

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikt View Post
The oil housing removes from the side then through the air box area. Hope this helps!
its not the answer i was hoping for, but it does help, thanks much
redronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #35
wildpanda86

I just found a little oil leak too... Haven't had time to track it down, but I hope this is where it's from. Sounds to be a common problem... My car just turned 140,000 miles!!!
wildpanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #36
rome5982

My Ride: 99 323i
If you see oil pooling up right under the intake manifold behind the oil pressure switch (which then runs down the side of the engine block) then this is a likely root cause (especially with your mileage).

18"ASA AR1/H&R CupKit/ECIS CAI/Stromung Exhaust/Zimmerman Rotors/Aluminum Interior Trim & Face Gauges/G2 Calipers/Clear Corners/Autometer Gauges/Mtech Front Bumper/Chrome Grill/UUC Shift Knob/OEM Rear Spoiler/Painted Moldings/Silver Gauge Rings/JL Audio 12W3V2 & 6.5 Coax/BA 6.5 ProSeries/Kicker KX600.4
rome5982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #37
rogerbest

My Ride: 320CI
Oil Leak

Hi I have read the messages re oil leak from the oil filter housing which are helpful as the garage I went to suggested that the housing had to be replaced as the alloy casing warps and changing the gasket alone is not enough . A housing from BMW costs 250 +100 labour to change. Have you heard of the housing warping before?

Thanks Roger from Bexley, UK

2.2 coupe with 180 K miles!
rogerbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #38
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Haven't heard of one...and the diy isn't bad at all...you'll find one, but read many if you're going to diy. Otherwise, maybe an hour for someone who's done a few...$10 gasket...

BTW, at the same time...great time to replace vanos oil line coming off of the housing...you'll need four crush washers with that.

...and if you were diying, and into it...keep going to clean icv/disa,maf, tb and replace all rubber behind those things...maybe some nice heating/engine cooling hoses?

Oh, you'll be removing the alternator and moving PS pump to the side, so anything you want to do with them...as in rebuild alt or flush ps fluid from pump...a few things that are efficient to do with ofh gasket.

Sorry! I actually didn't do alt rebuild, but that is on my list of things I know I'll need to do eventually.

PS, 100 pounds for labor...that sounds like maybe a couple hours of work...and doesn't seem unreasonable, but I'm sure they make money on parts...and I honestly do not recall reading anything about that...but do a search here.

(any acronyms confuse you coz you're brand new here...just search, you'll find the answer...and read thread on searching too....right above you!)

HTH

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30

Last edited by dmax; 07-22-2010 at 05:49 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #39
carsos

My Ride: '03 325Ci
hahahaha i need to show my dad this thread. he was in my car the other day and i told him that i had this problem happen to me and it was just the o-ring in the oil filter cover that needed replacing.

he proceeded to yell at me for the rest of the ride about how wrong i was, how he's never heard of an oil filter cover that had an o-ring or needed to be tightened with a wrench, how he's done hundreds of oil changes in his life so he knows he's right and i'm wrong, how i don't know what i'm talking about, how it's probably a serious problem that is going to cost me thousands of dollars, etc.

carsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #40
dkrab

My Ride: 2000 323i
Carsos, just open the hood and show him the filter housing, and better yet, show him a replacement filter element.

Rogerbest, I replaced the rubber gasket between the block and filter housing about 40K miles ago, and it's still bone dry. I'd guess my casting was not warped, and yours is likely not warped, either. The leak is caused by the rubber becoming hard and brittle. You will see just how brittle when you remove it.
dkrab is offline   Reply With Quote