2JZ Touring - Project Radio Flyer - KEVORM's Touring Build - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2017, 01:00 AM   #1
KEVORM

My Ride: 2002 325iT
2JZ Touring - Project Radio Flyer - KEVORM's Touring Build

Hi everyone, figured itís about time to start a build log for my touring. Welcome to project Radio Flyer or Project Supra-Wagon.

I picked up the car in early April, 2017. It's a 2002 325i in Japan Red with black interior. Prior to buying this car, Iíd been searching for an e46 touring for a little while. I didn't have super strict criteria, just wanted an interesting exterior color with a black interior. Turns out black interior is more rare than I'd anticipated. After a few months of searching, I found this car down in California. Couple phone calls later and I was on a plane to pick it up. Bought the car and drove it 1000 miles home, no issues at all.

The car had the typical A and B-pillar problems, and I didnít like the silver anyway. I pulled the headliner and the pillar covers and re-wrapped them in a nice charcoal fabric.

For a first attempt, it looks pretty good. There are some thingís Iíd do differently next time, but all in all it looks 100x better than what it came with. One tip: when removing the foam on the headliner, use a wire brush (I used the cheap ones from Harbor Freight). It picks all the foam right up and doesnít hurt the backing.

Next up itís was time to buy some parts. Iíve had this project planned out for a long time. The goal for the car is ďthe ultimate street car.Ē Great handling, comfortable, fast, unassuming etc. Since ďfastĒ is a requirement, the M54b25 cant stayÖÖenter the 2JZ-GTE VVTI. Why a 2JZ? Bottom line is that they make huge power, have extensive aftermarket support, and sounds amazing. Plus, the car is Japan red, so it needs a Japanese engine. Sure, I could have slapped an S54 in there, or a turbo M5x, or an LS, but I wanted something a little different, so here we are.....overnight parts (actually took weeks) from Japan.

After I got the engine, I started disassembling it. Plan was to do a bunch of preventative maintenance while the engine is out. First step was removing the stock turbos.

The vast majority of imported 2JZs come with the stock automatic transmission. I have no need for that, so it had to come off too.

One of the items I had to switch out for the swap was changing the oil pan from the front sump it came with, to a rear sump. I actually had to take the pan back off and do it all again. Somehow I failed to realize the pan I bought was from a GE (non-turbo) and forgot to drill a hole for the oil drain

2JZ internals are pretty beefy compared to the M20B25 (e30) stuff Iím used to.

With the automatic transmission safely in a dumpster, I needed to decide on a transmission. After a lot of research I decided to go with a T56 magnum. A lot of people use the 6-speed from the e46 M3, or various other BMW transmissions with adapter plates. I went with the t56 because itís easily rebuildable, has an increasing number of clutch options, and is as easy as an off the shelf bell-housing to mount to a 2JZ. Sure it's more expensive than other options, but fingers crossed it should be bullet proof for years to come.

After the trans, it was turbo time. I thought long and hard about what turbo to get. In this first version of the build I didnít want to spend a ton of money on one. I plan to fully build the motor down the line, and just needed something stout. I decided on a Borg Warner S364SX-E. This turbo has a 64.5mm billet compressor wheel, which is sort of medium in size for the 2JZ. Should be able to make decent power. Sure itís just a cheap journal bearing, but itíll do the job. Down the road I may get a GTX, or an EFR, who knows. I also got the exhaust housing ceramic coated. Donít like the look of a rusty exhaust housing, and it should help with temperatures.

If you have a turbo, you need a manifold. This manifold is made by Future Fabrication in the good Ďol US of A, has a lifetime warranty and looks sweet too. I had the manifold ceramic coated bronze. Honestly no idea if it will clear the strut towerÖÖfingers crossed.

While the parts have been coming through the door, Iíve been doing preventative maintenance on the engine. New front crank seals, cam seals, water pump, etc. I also got the mandatory flashy cam-gear.

Then it was time to mount the turbo for the first time and see how she looks.

With most of the 2JZ maintenance sorted, and the big parts awaiting install, itís finally time to start removing the engine. I had a few free hours and managed to get most of the major stuff out of the way, as well as the exhaust and driveshaft removed.

To be continued . . .

Last edited by KEVORM; 11-17-2017 at 04:48 PM.
KEVORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:13 AM   #2
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Cool build, would be interesting to see it in person.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:14 AM   #3
gtride

My Ride: 330 Wagon
Very nice project, and my favorite touring color.
gtride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #4
dddutch

My Ride: Looking for a wagon
Nice work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dddutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
sweet jones

My Ride: CLK, S54 E46 Touring
Amazing build... and you're local! Hoping i can peep this sometime.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
S54/6 speed, FluidMotorUnion velocity stacks, CSL cams, Swaintech coated headers, Mishimoto radiator, Alpha N tune, 4.10 diff, M3 suspension, Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement, CSL brakes, , 2.5" SS304 Rhom Innovations exhaust.
sweet jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
SpeedAddict502

My Ride: Many
Does someone make motor mounts for this or will you be making custom ones?
SpeedAddict502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #7
KEVORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedAddict502 View Post
Does someone make motor mounts for this or will you be making custom ones?
There's a couple people that make mounts. I bought mine from a guy in the 1J/2J BMW facebook group. Looks like he is selling them on ebay now too:

https://www.ebay.com/i/142444005157?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

His kit is designed for the 420G trans, so i'll have to fab my own trans mount.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
KEVORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
Cool build, would be interesting to see it in person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet jones View Post
Amazing build... and you're local! Hoping i can peep this sometime.

Should be finished in the late spring. I plan to take it to some car shows / cars and coffee stuff. Or, when it's a little further along, I may have folks over to check it out.

Last edited by KEVORM; 11-16-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #9
sweet jones

My Ride: CLK, S54 E46 Touring
awesome, planning to take mine out to cars and coffee as well early summer. Hoping to eventually boost the S54 with a nice twin scroll/EFR setup. The M3 front end getting buttoned up with the new 2M Autowerks front fenders and doing the complete rear work as well. gonna be some cool tourings in the PNW.
S54/6 speed, FluidMotorUnion velocity stacks, CSL cams, Swaintech coated headers, Mishimoto radiator, Alpha N tune, 4.10 diff, M3 suspension, Turner Motorsport subframe reinforcement, CSL brakes, , 2.5" SS304 Rhom Innovations exhaust.
sweet jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #10
KEVORM

Had a few free hours after work so I cued the music and got to work taking the engine out. Finally got the A/C system taken care of and the refrigerant recovered so the condenser could come out.

With that out of the way, it's as easy as hooking up the hoist, making sure everything is disconnected (which it wont be) and pulling it out. Took some jostling and help from a friend, but it went pretty smoothly.

Now i've got to figure out what to do with the M54. If I cant get someone to take it, I might make it into a coffee table. We shall see. For now it'll sit on some dollies so I can move it around the garage.

With the engine out, I'm truly at the point of no return. Starting to feel like a real project now. Hope to pick up some more parts on Black Friday. As for next steps.....cleaning!
Old 11-22-2017, 12:52 AM   #11
gtride

Nice, it finally started. I been going back to see updates. Keep taking pictures.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:32 AM   #12
ToDi

My Ride: e46 320i Touring
Interesting project. Gonna follow this!

How come you went with another engine then M54? BMWs engines M50/52/54 are widely used as platform to build on. At least here in Europe.
ToDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #13
KEVORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToDi View Post
How come you went with another engine then M54? BMWs engines M50/52/54 are widely used as platform to build on. At least here in Europe.
There are a few reasons. The biggest thing was that I wanted something different, and that would be a bit of a challenge / learning experience. I've had this build in my head for some time, and to be honest I never even really considered turboing or supercharging the M54. I also want to be able to open the hood and have people say "holy SH*T, wasn't expecting that."

The second reason is power. I'm sure there are plenty of people making big power on M5x motors, in fact i know there are, but I don't know a lot about that world, and the aftermarket support is more limited. Conversely, for the 2JZ, making big power is easy as pie, and there's massive aftermarket support. I'm hoping for a very conservative 700whp on e85, which in the Supra community is known as "not a lot of power." Really in the end it comes down to the fact that this is a crazy build I dreamt up, and I'm going for it.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #14
ToDi

My Ride: e46 320i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVORM View Post
There are a few reasons. The biggest thing was that I wanted something different, and that would be a bit of a challenge / learning experience. I've had this build in my head for some time, and to be honest I never even really considered turboing or supercharging the M54. I also want to be able to open the hood and have people say "holy SH*T, wasn't expecting that."

The second reason is power. I'm sure there are plenty of people making big power on M5x motors, in fact i know there are, but I don't know a lot about that world, and the aftermarket support is more limited. Conversely, for the 2JZ, making big power is easy as pie, and there's massive aftermarket support. I'm hoping for a very conservative 700whp on e85, which in the Supra community is known as "not a lot of power." Really in the end it comes down to the fact that this is a crazy build I dreamt up, and I'm going for it.
Sounds awesome! Thank you for sharing that. Looking forward to follow it!
ToDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #15
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: used to be an auto
How are you planning on reconciling the 2J motor harness and the E46 body harness?
Instagram: @CarbonZHP
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:02 AM   #16
KEVORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonZHP View Post
How are you planning on reconciling the 2J motor harness and the E46 body harness?
Wiring Specialties has a plug and play harness that is being released in a few weeks. I'll be running that harness with a full stand alone ECU, Haltech 2500.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:04 AM   #17
CarbonZHP
Because Race...Convertible?

My Ride: used to be an auto
Doing it right. Sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Instagram: @CarbonZHP
CarbonZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:12 PM   #18
KEVORM

Long weekend means plenty of time to work .

Spent some time cleaning up the engine bay. Just a little TLC for now, the engine will come out and go back in a few more times before a final deep clean. I mounted the engine mount pedestals as well.

Here is a close up of one of the engine mounts. They are plug and play for the e46. Made by Glenn Wyatt, the guy behind V8Chassis. They're really beefy compared to some of the other garbage out there.

With everything out of the way, and the engine bay a little tidied up, it was time to take the engine off the stand. Before this test fit I replaced the timing belt, and re-installed the lower timing cover, as well as the power steering / AC.

Got the engine in and bolted to the pedestals. Went to test fit the manifold and the studs were too long for the flange to clear.....so i had to take all the studs out. After removing all the studs and then rethreading a few to hold the manifold, it fits great. Big relief, I wasn't sure the wastegate tubing would clear the shock tower but it's all good.

With the manifold fitting, nothing left to do but fit the turbo.

Glamor shot

Overall the fit of everything is great. Have a couple little things to trim. The back of the intake manifold is contacting the sheet metal near the booster. With a little trim I'll be able to move the drive side back just a touch to center everything up. For a first test fit I am really pleased.

Managed to score a couple deals over Black Friday as well, including a Haltech Elite 2500. Shout out to Real Street Performance for that one. Bell-housing for the transmission gets here this week too. The engine will have to come back out for that, and I'll install a couple other things before popping everything back in and starting on fab for the trans cross-member.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:30 AM   #19
gtride

Looking good. What are you plan to do with wiring? Standalone? How you going to keep the cluster working? I assume you will keep stock DME in place?
Old 11-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #20
KEVORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtride View Post
Looking good. What are you plan to do with wiring? Standalone? How you going to keep the cluster working? I assume you will keep stock DME in place?
Wiring will be the new plug and play canbus kit form Wiring Specialties (being released in a few weeks). That kit does not require the stock DME. I will be running full standalone ECU, a Haltech Elite 2500 specifically, which will allow DBW .

As far as the gauges are concerned, they will work with the Wiring Specialties kit, but I don't really care as I will be running an Aim MXS strada dash. With this new ECU it'd be silly not to take advantage of all the extra metrics and safety features, and the Aim dash will let me see all of that.