E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
nickpiper12

My Ride: E46 M3 | E46 Touring
Steel Grey/Tanin Red Touring Project

Thought I would create a place to post progress on my E46 Touring build. I'm more active over on M3Forum and have a journal there for my M3 that I post updates in regularly.

I believe I was extremely lucky with my purchase, as these Tourings are hard to find in the first place, let alone a unicorn color combo like this. I was able to check off most of my requirements, aside from one (slicktop).

Ended up finding this in Bangor, Maine. Contacted the seller, set up a PPI. It had a few issues such as front wheel speed sensors, oil pan gasket leak, etc. I was able to negotiate the price on and sealed the deal.

Shipping was a hassle, but it worked out in the end.

Specs:
2000 323it
Steel Grey/Tanin Red
133k miles
5MT
Sport Package
Xenons
Heated Seats
Harmon Kardon
Sunroof

Fresh off the truck

The interior is in great shape aside from the PO using some sort of cleaner that he wasn't supposed to use. Can be fixed though with a proper Leatherique treatment.

Super clean engine bay.

nickpiper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
nickpiper12

Had some areas I needed to address immediately.

The first transport company damaged the hatch, but they made it right in the end completely paying for the damages.

After a good friend of mine and his team at Gerber Collision fixed it up. Good as new!

Needed some new wheel speed sensors. These were fun, no wonder they were never replaced, came out in a million pieces.

Demodding. Some cheap coils, hockey pucks, rear camber arms, angel eyes, and tints.

No, I wasn't kidding about the hockey pucks :taser:

Refreshening. M3 struts/shocks, Dinan springs, M3 front sway bar, new OE RTABS, end links, camber arms, RSM reinforcements, new hardware, etc.

With having to remove the entire rear cargo area to access the RSM's, these will be useful in the future.

Doing an ole fashioned string alignment.

All done! OE 18's mounted sporting some Dunlop Wintersports. Tossed on some clear corners and side markers as well to match the taillights.

Back at home!

Last edited by nickpiper12; 04-20-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
nickpiper12

Some maintenance.

Upon arrival, the oil leak was larger than I was told by the shop who did the PPI, which I assumed. I had a guess it was the oil filter housing gasket which is pretty common on these motors. I had to do this same job on my old 325xi Touring and it's pretty involved, so I wanted to knock out everything I could while taking care of the leak.

Removal. I had an idea the manifold was never removed due to what it looked like as I removed the engine cover. CCV and vacuum lines were super brittle, lots of dust and leaves.

Leaking oil filter housing. Seems to have been leaking for a while...

Brake cleaner wasn't exactly cutting it since there was so much buildup, so I took advantage of the 20 degree weather and got the power washer out...

Not perfect but good enough.

Everything I removed and replaced. Pretty much locked it down and resealed everything.

Finishing it up!

Old 04-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Very nice, I think I read something about the hatch damage on the ///Mboard (Google takes me there sometimes), very glad to see you over here in the touring section.

Love the color combo, new wheels look fantastic, if I can ever be of help, let me know.

Mostly because I like puns.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #5
YBimmer

My Ride: 03 330iZHP/02 325XiT
Wow. Looks great. I remember seeing this car for sale in Maine!

I'm happy it went to an enthusiast. If you have any questions, I'm all ears. Although mine is a xit, and sadly, not tannin.
YBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #6
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Lookin good! I love the grey tourings. My favorite color for a touring.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 04:09 PM   #7
nickpiper12

A few current pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Very nice, I think I read something about the hatch damage on the ///Mboard (Google takes me there sometimes), very glad to see you over here in the touring section.

Love the color combo, new wheels look fantastic, if I can ever be of help, let me know.
Thanks! Hatch damage was unfortunate, but luckily it worked out in the end.

I'm actually parting with the OE 18's and moving to some 17" M68's. My plan is to go OE M-Tech II with S54/6 Speed swap with an M3 rear end and all the bits. Though I think I want to start with the M-Tech II part first as my M3 is more track orientated.

I'll be posting updates as I get to installing some parts I have laying out. Just got some M-Sport goodies in from the UK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBimmer View Post
Wow. Looks great. I remember seeing this car for sale in Maine!

I'm happy it went to an enthusiast. If you have any questions, I'm all ears. Although mine is a xit, and sadly, not tannin.
Thanks! I had a xi first for about a year, but eventually sold it as I didn't need a second car and it wasn't really what I wanted. Wasn't really looking for this when I bought it, but it clicked all the boxes so I had to pull the trigger.

I'm hoping I can bring it up to par. The car seemed to be taken care of by the PO's and they installed some decent mods (black suede wrapped pillars, headliner, clear tails, SSK) but it was stanced out for a bit... Fenders were sort of flared as you can see, but at least it wasn't a hack job. Hoping I can fix that one of these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Lookin good! I love the grey tourings. My favorite color for a touring.
Thanks! Steel Grey is an awesome color, don't see too many around as it was only offered for a year or two I believe.

Last edited by nickpiper12; 04-20-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
EthirD

My Ride: '07 X5
Glad to see such a unicorn land in the hands of someone who's "fixing" it. I generally couldn't care less what other people do with their cars, but that thing must have had ten degrees of negative camber in the back. Looked more "saddle sore" then "stanced," but that's just my two cents.

Anybody know how many cars were made with the red interior? Can't be a whole lot, I'm assuming.
BMW CCA Member #480924
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #9
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Muted the music, and after that, other than the stupid "buy wheels that don't fit on purpose, then screw up the rear suspension so a corner of them will tuck", it wasn't too bad.
I actually liked the all red tails a lot, was thinking of doing that to mine. Think I will now.

Mostly because I like puns.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:35 AM   #10
MichaelStar

My Ride: 325 Touring
I love that color combo!
MichaelStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #11
nickpiper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthirD View Post
Glad to see such a unicorn land in the hands of someone who's "fixing" it. I generally couldn't care less what other people do with their cars, but that thing must have had ten degrees of negative camber in the back. Looked more "saddle sore" then "stanced," but that's just my two cents.

Anybody know how many cars were made with the red interior? Can't be a whole lot, I'm assuming.
Same here, can't stand that stuff. Actually found out it was subjected to that after the car arrived. Flared fenders, hockey pucks as bump stops and a terrible alignment made me investigate the past.

Not sure on the Tanin interior, I know there's a few on the registry. Even more curious about the Steel Grey/Tanin combo as Steel Grey wasn't offered for too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Muted the music, and after that, other than the stupid "buy wheels that don't fit on purpose, then screw up the rear suspension so a corner of them will tuck", it wasn't too bad.
I actually liked the all red tails a lot, was thinking of doing that to mine. Think I will now.
Lol! I was going to keep the red tails, but once I figured out they were on top of clears, I took it right off. It's nice as they almost look brand new compared to the inner tail lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelStar View Post
I love that color combo!
Thank you!
Old 04-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #12
TLM

My Ride: 2001 325i Touring
Great find and the touring is very fortunate to have landed in your hands. The Type 44 wheels still look good even to this day.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #13
GGray

My Ride: 01 325it Wagonator
I do dig the color combo has to be pretty rare for sure! Good save based on the video...

88 E30M3 turbo race car, 89 M3 restore project
91 325i M tech convertible.
91 GTI 16V
95 M3 track car.
01 325it five speed daily AKA: Wagonator.

If you can take it apart you can make it faster
GGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:13 PM   #14
kevro

My Ride: e36,e36,325it.
I have same color combo in 2002 325it. Also sport pack and stick, op...mind pm ING me. Curious what final pricing was if you don't mind as I am selling mine in the near future. I now have an s54 touring I built and can't justify keeping both.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...8#post16425288
kevro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:30 PM   #15
nickpiper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLM View Post
Great find and the touring is very fortunate to have landed in your hands. The Type 44 wheels still look good even to this day.
Thanks! Type 44's do look pretty nice, but aren't my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGray View Post
I do dig the color combo has to be pretty rare for sure! Good save based on the video...
Thanks! Hopefully I can save it from ever being subjected to that again lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevro View Post
I have same color combo in 2002 325it. Also sport pack and stick, op...mind pm ING me. Curious what final pricing was if you don't mind as I am selling mine in the near future. I now have an s54 touring I built and can't justify keeping both.
Nice! Have any pics? I'll PM you sale details.
Old Today, 07:36 PM   #16
nickpiper12

Some additions. Still need to pick up a few more parts and also some tires.

Whats the general consensus on tire sizes for staggered M68's? Was going to go with 255/40/17 R and 235/40/17 F.

Few pictures of the M3 I thought I would add. Working on a few projects before the first track day of the season.

Last edited by nickpiper12; Today at 07:39 PM.