E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #2841
JonathanL

My Ride: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
very cool Jon
Thanks. I've been a big fan of yours for a while. I contemplated the S54 transplant, but couldn't rationalize the budget. Very awesome car, though.
JonathanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #2842
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visor328i View Post
Curious to know how much you would sell it for?
I regretfully am married to this car financially - maybe 11tymillion
Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #2843
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
Quote:
You can always pony up for mine...
HA!

It's not in my budget...

Quote:
11tymillion
Yup, my budget is just shy of that...

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #2844
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is

had some fun today
Old 02-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #2845
tiagolopes96

My Ride: BMW e46 touring
Portugal

Old 02-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #2846
dedo

My Ride: e36 323i coupe
not fan of those ambers, but anyway very nice car.

dedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #2847
GGray
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 01 325it Wagonator
Thumbs Up

I had fun this week end..

Instructed at VIR took the newly modified Wagonator!

Upgrades done last week before heading to VIR

1.E36M3 front brakes with LTW/GT floating rotors, light machining BOLT right on for a cheap HUGE improvement in braking! Brass Guide pins front/rear PFC 01 pads all around.
2. Converted Koni SA to coilover front with camber plates, and rear ride height adjusters 450Front, 600rear
3. Hotchkiss sway bars front and rear
4. Toyo R888 on 17x8.5 wheels for track.

Handled great brakes were amazing! Not to bad on the straights. needs more power!

It might be the ultimate drive to the track car.. Took me 5 minutes to unload all my stuff and open back doors and hatch, load her up! Four 17's fit perfect in back!

No pictures or video.. I forgot...

If anyone wants pictures of the brake set up or how to do it I can post it.

88 E30M3 turbo race/track car
89 M3 restore project
91 325i M tech convertible.
92 Gti 8V
01 325it five speed daily/track AKA: Wagonator.

If you can take it apart you can make it faster
GGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #2848
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
Info on brake upgrade would be nice
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #2849
JHalleck

My Ride: 2000 323it
Info on the brakes and pics!
JHalleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #2850
alpine003

My Ride: BMW
What pads were you using?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #2851
GGray
OEM ///Member

Thumbs Up

Well I cannot get the dam camera to download pictures..

SO until I can. I can tell you how to do it..

You need to take the E36M3 caliper carrier and machine 285thousandths off the surface that goes against the mounting point.

Pull the OEM stuff out of the way, I just zip tied my old ones tot he control arm while I did the test fit. Clean the M3 carrier off with brake clean, then lightly bolt up and mark with a sharpie marker so you know how much to machine off. I machined slightly more for some extra room.

THAT'S IT!

Suckers literally bolt right on, rotor, lines and calipers all go on perfect!

On track I used Performance Friction 01 compound pads. On the street I just have whatever was in the caliper from one of my M3's. When they go bad I am going to use Hawk Ceramic or HPS pads.

I also put brass guide pins in front and rear since I track the car and the pins REALLY help keep pads from getting the pad taper you normally see on slider calipers.

Next upgrade will be a BBK after I add more power.

On track the M3 set up was AWSOME! I could brake on the back straight from 115-120, then on the front from 110-115 every lap with ZERO issues. On Friday we had Instructor day and one hour sessions. I stayed out 45minutes.. until fuel starvation kicked in .. ZERO brake issues.

Overall the E36M3 brake upgrade is nice! Have to run 17 inch wheels a few 16inch wheels fit.

I will pull them all off and apart and paint them red.. I like the ole RED calipers!

ALSO: I work at BimmerWorld we have the E36M3 calipers and carriers here new for less than stock. Or you can find used ones and rebuild them if needed.

89 M3 restore project
92 Gti 8V

Last edited by GGray; 02-26-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #2852
alpine003

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGray View Post
When they go bad I am going to use Hawk Ceramic or HPS pads.

Next upgrade will be a BBK after I add more power.

I will pull them all off and apart and paint them red.. I like the ole RED calipers!
I've run both Ceramic and HPS. Surprised that the Ceramic produces more dust which is counter intuitive to the naming used on it. Stopping power wasn't too different between the two on the streets. If I were to do it again, I would run HPS or Akebono Euro Ceramics on the street to keep my wheels a bit cleaner.

I'll be going with Porsche Monoblocks this spring. I have everything but I just need to find the time to install them when it gets warmer outside.
325mm f / 328mm rear so that I can retain the clearance to run 17" wheels.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #2853
GGray
OEM ///Member

I had Akebono on my e34 525 touring five speed. They were horrible, not much dust was the only good thing about them.

You can run 332x32 with most 17inch non OEM wheels. I will probably run 355 up front and move to 18 inch wheels for street and track. With E46M3 rear sub frame and brakes in back.

Some club racers did a test a few months ago with 17 vs. 18, same car, same tire, same brand wheel, and model. The 18's were actually slightly faster.

I have had 16, 17 and 18 inch wheels on E46's not a huge difference in performance between the three. As long as the wheel weight goes down slightly as size goes up.

89 M3 restore project
92 Gti 8V

Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #2854
alpine003

Interesting. Did you have the Akebono Ceramics or regular? Akebono makes a good portion of the OEM brakes out there so really surprised you had that experience. What was horrible about them?

17's for me is purely about having some level of comfort for the streets on a daily driven car. 332 will not fit my snow setup which are OEM wheels. It's a lot harder and more expensive to get lightweight 18's that rival 17lbs or less. If I had a 330 power levels, I dont' suppose it would matter as much but I need every help I can get running the 325 motor and the 2-3mpg increase is also welcome.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #2855
GGray
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine003 View Post
Interesting. Did you have the Akebono Ceramics or regular? Akebono makes a good portion of the OEM brakes out there so really surprised you had that experience. What was horrible about them?

17's for me is purely about having some level of comfort for the streets on a daily driven car. 332 will not fit my snow setup which are OEM wheels. It's a lot harder and more expensive to get lightweight 18's that rival 17lbs or less. If I had a 330 power levels, I dont' suppose it would matter as much but I need every help I can get running the 325 motor and the 2-3mpg increase is also welcome.
They had to much initial bite and the pedal feel was horrible. Over the last 30 years of driving German cars, BMW, Porsche, VW, they were the worst pads I have used. Most German mfg use textar pads for OEM.

I run M&S 18's, currently have Khumo ASX's 235/40, they ride as good as the 17's I had on our silver touring. The roof rack pulled will give you 1mpg, verified on my silver touring commuting back and forth to the office...

89 M3 restore project
92 Gti 8V

Old 02-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #2856
alpine003

Quote:
They had to much initial bite and the pedal feel was horrible. Over the last 30 years of driving German cars, BMW, Porsche, VW, they were the worst pads I have used. Most German mfg use textar pads for OEM.

I run M&S 18's, currently have Khumo ASX's 235/40, they ride as good as the 17's I had on our silver touring. The roof rack pulled will give you 1mpg, verified on my silver touring commuting back and forth to the office...
Gotcha, for me the Euro Ceramics had slightly less bite than the OEM Textars in my experience and braking was pretty much on par with the Textars with the exception of the slightly cold initial bite.

I've had ASX's twice and agree that it is a comfortable tire(some complain sidewall is too soft) and rides nice. Potholes however are the other concern around me. Need my roof rack as I actually haul a lot of stuff in mine.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #2857
GGray
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine003 View Post
Gotcha, for me the Euro Ceramics had slightly less bite than the OEM Textars in my experience and braking was pretty much on par with the Textars with the exception of the slightly cold initial bite.

I've had ASX's twice and agree that it is a comfortable tire(some complain sidewall is too soft) and rides nice. Potholes however are the other concern around me. Need my roof rack as I actually haul a lot of stuff in mine.
The ASX's seem to be a good daily driver wet and light snow tire. Luckily we have smooth roads around here!

You should buy my OEM BMW cross bars then! $100.00 bucks... plus shipping!

I have an old pick up to haul stuff and a small trailer to put on the touring hitch!

89 M3 restore project
92 Gti 8V

Old 02-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #2858
alpine003

Quote:
The ASX's seem to be a good daily driver wet and light snow tire. Luckily we have smooth roads around here!

You should buy my OEM BMW cross bars then! $100.00 bucks... plus shipping!

I have an old pick up to haul stuff and a small trailer to put on the touring hitch!
I agree. I'm running Conti DWS now which is very similiar to the ASX with better sidewall support.

Thanks but I have a set of custom aluminum crossbars that I can take off or put on in less than 5 min, that tuck neatly across my trunk when not in use. I have that and a set of bungie cords on me at all times in case I ever need to haul something(like 15ft baseboard trims. ). I've thought about a trailer hitch but I just can't bring myself to drive slow enough to use the trailer in a safe manner.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #2859
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
I ran e46 m3 brakes on the front of my wagon for a while and didn't like them as the brake bias was off, now I run 330i brakes all the way around and am very happy with them for dd purposes (using cheap pbr cermaic pads atm, will pick up some hawk hp+ or ht10s depending on budget for track use)

Last edited by redbull 325is; 02-26-2013 at 09:40 PM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #2860
GGray
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull 325is View Post
I ran e46 m3 brakes on the front of my wagon for a while and didn't like them as the brake bias was off, now I run 330i brakes all the way around and am very happy with them for dd purposes (using cheap pbr cermaic pads atm, will pick up some hawk hp+ or ht10s depending on budget for track use)
Did the E46M3 brakes bolt on? I am going to put my E46M3 six speed in mine and complete rear sub frame assembly in.

The e36M3 stuff up front worked good no noticeable bias change on track or street so far.

89 M3 restore project
92 Gti 8V

Tags
touring