E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 2001 3 Pedal M54b30
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Euro LKM Problem- Help Please!!

okay, so i bought an euro LKM from ebay. the seller says it is coded for xenons and led tails. The guy sent me the wrong LKM, the ones i wanted has the rear fog light switch, this one only has the front. But even though he sent me the wrong LKM he said these are also coded for xenon and led tails. So i thought i'd give them a try because, he wants me to keep this LKM and he just wants us to swap out the face plates.

so i put it in my 01' 330ci today (i have normal single xenons). I turn on my headlights and they start to flicker. So my initial thoughts are that they aren't coded for Xenon bulbs. I start to play with it and i turn my high beams on, the flickering stops. Then i turn my high beams off, and they work fine, but every so often one bulb(right) will flicker.

So i start to wonder if they were coded for the bixenon headlights (which well could be the problem because it is *supposedly* also coded for rear LEDs).

so i put it in my parents 05' 330i (bixenon). It works fine, (no flickering) but when i push the stalk forward to open the shutter for the bixenons, the bixenons don't work. It lights up the center lights single xenon style.

Which confuses the hell out of me since it doesn't seem like they are coded for single xenon bulbs, nor are they coded for bixenon, but they work better with bixenon then on single xenon.

Does anybody think they could help me with this problem? Oh yeah i don't want to get them flashed because i want to keep the corner delete and the other extra ECE stuff that we can't have here.

thanks,

-raj

Last edited by SL Blak Soldier; 01-12-2008 at 05:40 PM.
SL Blak Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
SL Blak Soldier

anybody?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
okay, so i bought an euro LKM from ebay. the seller says it is coded for xenons and led tails. The guy sent me the wrong LKM, the ones i wanted has the rear fog light switch, this one only has the front. But even though he sent me the wrong LKM he said these are also coded for xenon and led tails. So i thought i'd give them a try because, he wants me to keep this LKM and he just wants us to swap out the face plates.

so i put it in my 01' 330ci today (i have normal single xenons). I turn on my headlights and they start to flicker. So my initial thoughts are that they aren't coded for Xenon bulbs. I start to play with it and i turn my high beams on, the flickering stops. Then i turn my high beams off, and they work fine, but every so often one bulb(right) will flicker.

So i start to wonder if they were coded for the bixenon headlights (which well could be the problem because it is *supposedly* also coded for rear LEDs).

so i put it in my parents 05' 330i (bixenon). It works fine, (no flickering) but when i push the stalk forward to open the shutter for the bixenons, the bixenons don't work. It lights up the center lights single xenon style.

Which confuses the hell out of me since it doesn't seem like they are coded for single xenon bulbs, nor are they coded for bixenon, but they work better with bixenon then on single xenon.

Does anybody think they could help me with this problem? Oh yeah i don't want to get them flashed because i want to keep the corner delete and the other extra ECE stuff that we can't have here.

thanks,

-raj
Seems that the seller sent you a used LCM. Do you have the tamper dot on the dash? Probably.

Why exactly do you want the new LCM? rear fogs, led, xenons? bi-xenons?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
SL Blak Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Seems that the seller sent you a used LCM. Do you have the tamper dot on the dash? Probably.

Why exactly do you want the new LCM? rear fogs, led, xenons? bi-xenons?
yeah, he did send me a used lcm, but thats not what i have problems with.

I'm not worried about the tamper dot as because it goes away if i put in my oem lcm.

i wanted the new lcm for the corner delete, the use of fogs with high beams, and the rear fogs. As fas as the rear fogs go, i'm waiting on the new faceplate to come in.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
FlzRider
OEM ///Member

My Ride: AW 1M
Are you sure the tamper dot goes away when you put in your old LCM? Have you tried it?

Also, in Europe they dont have the corner lights always lit like we do, but they do have those small bulbs in the headlights lit, and since U.S. cars don't have a bulb in there, wont it give you a bulb out warning?

I'm interested in doing what you are doing too, so be sure to update us.

FlzRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
boxy

My Ride: 2004 325CI
Send a message via MSN to boxy
Since the US headlamp do not have parking lamp, the LCM will trigger the bulb error and light the corner lamps as back up if switched to parking lamp.

Also the temper dot would not light is the mileage difference is less than 100KM (about 62miles) between combi. If the difference exceeds this number, there will be a perment temper light on unless the LCM is recoded with combi, which may not be possible due to mileage difference. If you do not mind about it, the fog/highbeam and rear foglamp should work.
boxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:31 AM   #7
SL Blak Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlzRider View Post
Are you sure the tamper dot goes away when you put in your old LCM? Have you tried it?

Also, in Europe they dont have the corner lights always lit like we do, but they do have those small bulbs in the headlights lit, and since U.S. cars don't have a bulb in there, wont it give you a bulb out warning?

I'm interested in doing what you are doing too, so be sure to update us.
yeah, i do get a warning light because of the lack of city lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxy View Post
Since the US headlamp do not have parking lamp, the LCM will trigger the bulb error and light the corner lamps as back up if switched to parking lamp.

Also the temper dot would not light is the mileage difference is less than 100KM (about 62miles) between combi. If the difference exceeds this number, there will be a perment temper light on unless the LCM is recoded with combi, which may not be possible due to mileage difference. If you do not mind about it, the fog/highbeam and rear foglamp should work.
oh okay, i see. i haven't driven with it for more than 60 miles so i guess thats why i'm not getting the tamper dot when i put the oem one back in.

thanks for the info guys.

...the thing is that still doesn't help my answer my question. thanks though.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:07 AM   #8
paraklas

Quote:
i wanted the new lcm for the corner delete, the use of fogs with high beams, and the rear fogs. As fas as the rear fogs go, i'm waiting on the new faceplate to come in.
The corner delete is a mod, I don't think you want a new LCM for this

The use of fogs with high beams is a programmable option, you still don't need a new LCM. If it can't be programmed, you can still mod a bit and make it work. I had halogens and my fogs worked with high-beams, now I have bi-xenons with a coded LCM for xenons and my fogs still work with the high beams

The rear fogs you need the faceplate and some wiring.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
SL Blak Soldier

Quote:

The use of fogs with high beams is a programmable option, you still don't need a new LCM. If it can't be programmed, you can still mod a bit and make it work. I had halogens and my fogs worked with high-beams, now I have bi-xenons with a coded LCM for xenons and my fogs still work with the high beams

yeah, i know all these things are mods i could do. but thats a whole other thing.

i was asking if anybody could hhelp me figure out what my lcm is coded for as far as headlights go.

thanks for the help though.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
FlzRider
OEM ///Member

My Ride: AW 1M
Wow, I didn't know you only had approximately 60 miles before it was permanent. Once the tamper dot is on, is there absolutely no way to have it removed? Not even a dealer?

SL Blak Soldier, it seems like your best bet is to do the actual corner delete mod, do the fog light with highbeam mod, and leave your original LCM with the Euro faceplate so you have the button for the rear fogs. BTW, what is the name of the person you bought your LCM/faceplate from on ebay? I am in the market for just the faceplate.

FlzRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #11
SL Blak Soldier

myyles is the guy i bought it from, but i don't know how great of a seller he is. since he sent me the wrong one and was giving me some shiet for other stuff.

but yeah, i probably will just put the euro faceplate on the oem lcm for the rear fogs, as it was the main reason i got the euro lcm.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:02 AM   #12
paraklas

Quote:
i was asking if anybody could hhelp me figure out what my lcm is coded for as far as headlights go.
Any indy with Autologic or dealer with GT1/SSS can see the activated options/coding of the control modules
Old 01-15-2008, 01:05 AM   #13
paraklas

Quote:
Wow, I didn't know you only had approximately 60 miles before it was permanent. Once the tamper dot is on, is there absolutely no way to have it removed? Not even a dealer?
I believe you can synchronize the modules if mileage is different, highest mileage stored will be copied to the module with the lowest mileage. You need dealer equipment to do this or autologic. I'm only mentioning autologic because I saw it in action. Don't know about other software. Carsoft can't do that
Old 01-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #14
boxy

Hey Paraklas,

Congrats on the TS2 good to know that you have finally resolve the misfire issue. I am waiting for my DME to return from ESS, thence I will finally be able to fire the car up after the long waits.

Corner delete mod involves 6 ohm resistor to mask the draw, which would create considerable heat and in case the resistor fail, it is possible to fry the LCM since it is directly connected to the module.

Your car is possibly a Euro version as I do not recall 320 2.2 in US line up. The fog off high beam combination is a creature of US spec, for Euro version the fog can be switch on regardless of high or low beam, and it does not seem to be a codable option. Have you seen any one successfully changed the setting? If so please explain in detail I would really want to do it on my car.

Will appreciate your input.

SL, you can check vehicle option SA codes within coding - Combi by a SSS or GT1. Code for Xenon is 522. If the code shows, the LCM is coded with Xenon or BiXenon.

FitzRider, 62 miles to be percise, I believe the standard was set for correction within 100 KMs. And yes it can be coded where as the higher mileage will be copied onto all modules. Problem is more than mileage once the temper light is resolve, a conflicting LCM with incorrect SA codes would create error codes if different SA are being coded into combi, which (without personal experience), would become preventive to code any further functions until the conflicts are resolved.

GL!

Quote:

Old 01-16-2008, 04:03 AM   #15
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxy View Post
Hey Paraklas,

Congrats on the TS2 good to know that you have finally resolve the misfire issue. I am waiting for my DME to return from ESS, thence I will finally be able to fire the car up after the long waits.

Corner delete mod involves 6 ohm resistor to mask the draw, which would create considerable heat and in case the resistor fail, it is possible to fry the LCM since it is directly connected to the module.

Your car is possibly a Euro version as I do not recall 320 2.2 in US line up. The fog off high beam combination is a creature of US spec, for Euro version the fog can be switch on regardless of high or low beam, and it does not seem to be a codable option. Have you seen any one successfully changed the setting? If so please explain in detail I would really want to do it on my car.

Will appreciate your input.

SL, you can check vehicle option SA codes within coding - Combi by a SSS or GT1. Code for Xenon is 522. If the code shows, the LCM is coded with Xenon or BiXenon.

FitzRider, 62 miles to be percise, I believe the standard was set for correction within 100 KMs. And yes it can be coded where as the higher mileage will be copied onto all modules. Problem is more than mileage once the temper light is resolve, a conflicting LCM with incorrect SA codes would create error codes if different SA are being coded into combi, which (without personal experience), would become preventive to code any further functions until the conflicts are resolved.

GL!
if the resistor fails, he will know. because the headlight warning will show. so he should be fine. the only problem is that with the corner delete mod, you can potentially fry the LCM if you're still using the stock bulbs. overtime the LCM will not be able to handle the extra wattage drawn by both the sides and corners. if you get LEDs, this will be prevented.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:06 AM   #16
sillieidiot

Quote:

thanks,

-raj
that's why your headlights are flickering, it's because the city light's are out. put them in as a mod or use some resistors to take their place.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #17
SL Blak Soldier

so my lcm is coded for xenons? how would you explain it working on the bixenon then/
Old 01-21-2008, 02:38 AM   #18
boxy

Quote:
so my lcm is coded for xenons? how would you explain it working on the bixenon then/
SAJ,

I am not sure if your LCM is coded with xenon, you can only find out by using BMW equipment to determine if it is coded so.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:48 AM   #19
sillieidiot

Quote:
iono. maybe because you got a used LCM that's for a newer car, it works on your parents facelifted sedan (which is newer than yours) and doesn't work on yours perfectly because your's is old? lol iono, like boxy said. only way you can really tell is to hook it to a comp.