E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
IL IN MI MN OH WI

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
dakotadriver

My Ride: 2003 325 xiT
Yellow Stuff under oil cap

It's back thanks to our recent bout of cold weather. The yellow film of oil has reappeared under my oil cap. Happened last February and it disappeared after an extended drive. Seth at JBEurotech had checked the oil separator by doing a vacuum test on the engine last year and all was well.

Car is running really well...no issues starting or running. I'll have a chance to do some extended driving tomorrow at the BMWCCA winter driving school. But I sure hate seeing that stuff.

Any other Fanatics seeing the same thing?
dakotadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
dakotadriver

Yellow film is gone thanks to winter driving school

I checked the oil cap on my wife's Acura MDX. It has a coating of film as well. Must occur with other cars. I'm not sure how Acura vents the crankcase though.

Today, BMWCCA Northstar chapter had their winter driving school at Dakota County Technical College. It's about a 50 mile round trip from my house to DCTC and were running at pretty high RPMs driving on the road course and....I was able to remove the film doing some spirited driving.

The day started at -17F and got up to 2 above. Cold but the sun and no wind made it tolerable. Car tolerated the event well and we had a good time.

Mark
Old 01-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
That is from condensation in the crankcase. It is more noticeable if you drive short trips, without getting the engine up to temp. You can also shorten oil change intervals to 6000 miles in the winter to help.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
dakotadriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
That is from condensation in the crankcase. It is more noticeable if you drive short trips, without getting the engine up to temp. You can also shorten oil change intervals to 6000 miles in the winter to help.
Seth,

I'm about 5500 miles from my last oil change and about 1900 miles to inspection II. After the driving school and extend trip yesterday, the yellow stuff is gone.

Speaking of inspection II, what do you typically do and charge? The dealer service seems to be a glorified oil change.

You replaced the thermostat and one of the 02 sensors last summer. I had the brake fluid flushed and the drive belts were replaced in November. Tires were replaced in November as well as an alignment so I think we should be current other than an oil change, cabin and airfilter. I think you have a free loaner with the inspection II service which would be handy as I am coming from South Metro. I might schedule shortly as I am thinking about taking the car to ND next month and I don't want any surprises (or find out who the BMW savvy mechanic is in Bismarck).

Thanks,

Mark
Old 02-03-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
hlmg

My Ride: 2003 M3 & 1998 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotadriver View Post
It's back thanks to our recent bout of cold weather. The yellow film of oil has reappeared under my oil cap. Happened last February and it disappeared after an extended drive. Seth at JBEurotech had checked the oil separator by doing a vacuum test on the engine last year and all was well.

Car is running really well...no issues starting or running. I'll have a chance to do some extended driving tomorrow at the BMWCCA winter driving school. But I sure hate seeing that stuff.

Any other Fanatics seeing the same thing?
I had the same problem with my E36 328I two years ago, i only happened during winter, I bought a new oil cap, the problem went away, the old cap was leaking
hlmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:04 AM   #6
a13x

My Ride: E46 320i
I have the same problem with the oil cap but my car strting with a noise, like the engine works in a 5 pistons 2-3 seconds (at starting). After that is running normally. Is that a problem?
a13x is offline   Reply With Quote