E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #1
kmg

My Ride: 325ci
Jet Black 01 325ci - progress thread

I picked up a Jet Black 2001 325ci with 83k miles on it Friday. The car won't see a bunch of mods because I am going to be using at my DD and it will see a fair amount of miles on it. Mechanically the car is in excellent condition, however it was lacking in appearance.

Here are a few pictures just after picking the car up.

The first thing I did after getting the car home was prep the car for the much need paint correction process. It had the typical trashed paint that a lot of Jet Black BMW's have. Being my personal car and knowing it is going to be a DD I was not looking for perfect just wanted to remove the swirling and some of the random scratches and bring back some gloss.

Wheels and tires were cleaned thoroughly using Iron-X and Tuf-Shine tire cleaner.

They were then sealed using CarPro Hydr02

A strong foam pre-soak to started the surface decon process.

This was followed by a 2-bucket method wash, then followed by a chemical decon using Iron-X again. And the last step was to wash the car one final time with a Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine wash mitt (clay bar replacement that is much quicker and easier).

The car was then pulled in the garage and I removed the ugly silver pin stripes and also removed the 325ci badges from the trunk.

I then started the compounding process using Menzerna FG400. You can see the swirls are totally gone, however there was a fair amount of marring caused during the compounding process which is why the area that was worked already looks kinda hazy.

After being fully compounded, then I then went around and used Reflect which is a fine polish that cleaned up all the marring and left the paint look deep and glossy. Here is a picture after car was wiped down with Eraser to remove the polishing oils to prep it for the CQuartz Finest application.

This picture shows the coating being cured using an IR Lamp.

And finally a few after pictures. You can see how much more gloss and depth the paint now has.

So my plans for the car are to replace all the lights with smoked lights. It will be getting angel eye's installed. All the chrome trim is going to be blacked out and I haven't fully decided on wheels yet, other then they will be gloss black and most likely 18's. I will also be putting a coilover set up probably this winter.

Thanks for looking and I will continue to update this tread as I do more.
kmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
I love paint correction
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #3
kmg

The car is a good 5 footer basically. Even though the car looks crazy glossy and has good depth, when you get close to it there are a lot of flaws in the paint that are not fixable. In my opinion if the car was not going to used as a DD and probably get peppered it should probably be repainted. But for its intended use it looks good like it is.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
Inema69

My Ride: 2003 325i
Great job, look like another car!
Old 06-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
kmg

So after one week of owning the car and putting nearly 700 miles on it, the front control arm bushing failed on the car. The previous owner replaced them at some point, but must have used cheap ones because they didn't last long.

Got to use one of my new toys to do this job. Just picked up this lift which worked great for doing this. So I put the car up on the lift to begin pulling the cover.

Driver Side

Passenger Side

I replaced them with Meyle HD bushing from ECS Tuning. Made for an easy little test of the new lift.

2001 BMW 325Ci
2006 Mustang Saleen S281
2007 Chevy Suburban Z71
Old 06-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
leonardo_

My Ride: 323CI Cabrio, X1 18d
Incredible... what cheap parts do...

Nice work on making it good as new!!!

Last edited by leonardo_; 06-18-2015 at 09:21 AM.
leonardo_ is offline   Reply With Quote