E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 03:01 AM   #1
xero_is_my_hero

My Ride: 323i
Help with Business CD player and aux input

I have a 1999 323i and it has the stock BMW Business CD player without the 6 disc CD changer. I would like to hook up my Zune mp3 player (I can't stand Ipods) through an aux input. I have searched the forums for a while and but i am still unsure of what i need to do it.

Since my CD player is older I need to purchase one with an aux output built-in. Right? Or i could get one that is set up for a 6 disc changer and then purchase a aux adapter, such as Dice's Ipod integration kit. I am unsure if the Ipod kit will work with the Zune though.

Your help would be appreciated.
xero_is_my_hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:08 AM   #2
drbworld

My Ride: BMW E46 Coupe
dice is the best bet, ipod and aux input. or check one of our sponsors, they have a aux input adapter then fits into the cd changer plug.
drbworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:17 AM   #3
xero_is_my_hero

My Ride: 323i
Are all Business CD players wired for a CD changer?
xero_is_my_hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Shalaylea

My Ride: 2005 3301 zhp
I just did this with my 05 330.
There's a BMW factory aux adaptor. There's some DIY's on the forum. You can pull out your radio (it's easy) and see if you have the open plug.
If you get the part number, you can get it from the dealer for about $40. Better than mail order 'cause, if it doesn't work, take it back.
Shalaylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
Shannon C

My Ride: Fern Green 318i exec
Quote:
Originally Posted by xero_is_my_hero View Post
Are all Business CD players wired for a CD changer?
The CD cassette is an optional extra so I would think "Yes".

LED Tails / LED Plate Lights / LED Interior Lights / Angel Eyes / Smoked Corners / Smoked Side Indicators / Low beams - Narva Arctic Blue / High beams - Narva Plus 50 / Gauge Rings / Black Grille / Roof Spoiler / Boot Lip Spolier / Licence Plate Holder Deleted / Tinted windows / Style 44 Wheels/Coilovers.
Shannon C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
Quote:
I have a 1999 323i and it has the stock BMW Business CD player without the 6 disc CD changer. I would like to hook up my Zune mp3 player (I can't stand Ipods) through an aux input. I have searched the forums for a while and but i am still unsure of what i need to do it.

Since my CD player is older I need to purchase one with an aux output built-in. Right? Or i could get one that is set up for a 6 disc changer and then purchase a aux adapter, such as Dice's Ipod integration kit. I am unsure if the Ipod kit will work with the Zune though.

i believe you need this.

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=630

i also have a zune, but i use an FM transmitter for now, i've got more important things to spend my money on than this...
Old 03-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #7
pixelsyndicate

My Ride: 2003 330Cic St. Gray
Send a message via ICQ to pixelsyndicate Send a message via AIM to pixelsyndicate Send a message via MSN to pixelsyndicate
Quote:

Hey X.i.m.h.,

I just installed an aux input for my '03 330cic for my zune, and it's awesome! Wasn't too difficult either.

I ordered the AUX input (Part # : 82 11 0 149 389) from http://www.bavauto.com for $39.95, which comes with instructions specific to your non-navigation audio system (they have another product for those with nav installed).

For mounting my zune, I am using the Belkin TuneBase (has an audio-out so you dont have to bother with the headphone jack).

The instructions included do not let you know how to pull our your stereo or the glovebox (where they suggest mounting the input), but an online search, a screwdriver and a soft cloth for protection from stratches did the trick. It took me a bit over a half-an-hour because I had to go buy some drill bits.

The aux input has a clip that plugs into where your cd change would go (on the harness behind the stereo). Who listens to CD's when you got a zune?!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Problem is that you need a 2003+ radio to use BMW AUX, the OP has a 1999 radio.

Your best bet would be the AUX interface we offer on the website:

eas Auxiliary Audio Input
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=630

or the AUX kit from Dietz:

Dietz AUX-in Adapter - 1252
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=344

Either kit will provide an AUX input for your Zune.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
mos

My Ride: 02 330Ci
Similar situation here. My Business CD has the date of Feb 11 2002. It has the Aux port in the back. The bracket took the Aux plug but upon inserting into the radio, the Mode button didn't give me the Aux option. It keeps switching between radio, CD, and CD changer, just like before.

Now I bought a 2004 Business CD on eBay. Hopefully it'll really be plug and play when I get it.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #10
BMW Loe

My Ride: is dirty
where does the male end of the AUX plug into on the MP3 or Ipod? where the headphones plug in?
BMW Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Loe View Post
where does the male end of the AUX plug into on the MP3 or Ipod? where the headphones plug in?
The AUX kit is merely a female 3.5mm port. You will need a 3.5mm male/male cable to connect the device to the AUX port.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
DJiK

My Ride: 2001 BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to DJiK
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelsyndicate View Post
I ordered the AUX input (Part # : 82 11 0 149 389) from http://www.bavauto.com for $39.95, which comes with instructions specific to your non-navigation audio system (they have another product for those with nav installed).

[...]

The instructions included do not let you know how to pull our your stereo or the glovebox (where they suggest mounting the input), but an online search, a screwdriver and a soft cloth for protection from stratches did the trick.
What do the instructions tell you?
Do you mind making a scan or a copy for me?

I want to find out where the other end of the AUX input adapter connects behind the stereo.

There are plenty of good photos you could refer me to on this page.

Finally, I have on '01 M3, and there are stickers in the trunk saying it's pre-wired for a CD Changer and a Mobile Phone, does that mean my BMW Business CD head unit is compatible with this adapter?
DJiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
aleksankazakov

My Ride: 04 E46 330i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The AUX kit is merely a female 3.5mm port. You will need a 3.5mm male/male cable to connect the device to the AUX port.
male male cable , it is one gay ass cable
aleksankazakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
udelaware30

My Ride: 91 318is 24v swap
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksankazakov View Post
male male cable , it is one gay ass cable
i remember when i was 16.. thanks for the helpful addition to this dead thread