E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
zanga254

My Ride: 2002 325xi ZPP
Send a message via Skype™ to zanga254
Would you bash a CSL look a like?

Hey guys, just wondering if you would ever bash someone who added multiple CSL parts to an M3, creating an almost complete CSL makeover (including the CSL badge) for not having a "real" CSL?

I know I know be yourself, it's your car you can do what you want. I just wanted to know the opinion of the community in case I ever get the M3 and wanted to embark on a switch as a MechE student, once I graduate and get a solid job of course (I'm set on Steel Grey btw, ties in to the CSL style all too well).
zanga254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
e46dinan

My Ride: E46 M3, E53 4.6is
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanga254 View Post
Hey guys, just wondering if you would ever bash someone who added multiple CSL parts to an M3, creating an almost complete CSL makeover (including the CSL badge) for not having a "real" CSL?

I know I know be yourself, it's your car you can do what you want. I just wanted to know the opinion of the community in case I ever get the M3 and wanted to embark on a switch as a MechE student, once I graduate and get a solid job of course (I'm set on Steel Grey btw, ties in to the CSL style all too well).
Do it!
e46dinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
zanga254

Glad there's already support, track this thread and wait for a reply in 6 years .

On a less childish note, would you all think that an overhaul like this would severely reduce the value of the car? Not that I would trade the car in once it gets to that point, but I just left Econ 102 and of course I'm wondering about the effect that aftermarket modifications have on value (primarily KBB i would assume). If this is considered a clean mod by the buyer/dealer then would the value actually increase?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
M3LIKECHIPS

My Ride: Prius
The only thing you cant convert to actual CSL is the VIN.... That being said, id forget the CSL badge.
M3LIKECHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
e46zcplover

My Ride: 06-M3-ZCP INT BLUE
would you actually replace the roof with a carbon fiber one, that looks like a difficult mod
e46zcplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
mkodama

lol, highly unlikely you'll ever get close to a CSL. For the price of the interior, intake, and roof, you can buy a second used M3 so just about nobody follows through.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
lol, highly unlikely you'll ever get close to a CSL. For the price of the interior, intake, and roof, you can buy a second used M3 so just about nobody follows through.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
skeeterv

My Ride: e46
I wouldn't. It's all performance enhancing and I don't think any if at all CSL parts are just for looks (CF weighs less). Props if you have the funds to afford all the genuine CSL parts. No need for the CSL badge... it'll clearly be visible to be a CSL to a trained eye.
skeeterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:55 AM   #9
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanga254 View Post

adding multiple CSL parts are okay but the ///M wasn't built from the factory as a legit CSL - keep the CSL badging off then it's okay. If a person slapped on the CSL badge and the ///M wasn't originally a CSL.... well, that's up to them but my reaction would be

I would still give the person credit only because they spent a considerable amount of their money to do this. It will be quite expensive to completely "build" a CSL from a stock ///M.....
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets

Last edited by cak323i; 09-07-2012 at 04:57 AM.
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
Quote:
This^^. Those cf door cards are around 6k.. If you have the funds then go for it, but leave the CSL badge off.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Start off with an M3 CS..... OEM trunk, roof, bumper, seats, door cards, and intake. You also need to get the door jam inserts as well. This will set you back a LOT of money, however if you do a full conversion, or at least majority of it, i don't see the issue with throwing a CSL badge on it.

Same goes for a 325i to 330i swap. If you do a full conversion, brakes, engine, and all the little nitty gritties... sure, why not. Essentially it is a 330i now... But to toss CSL rims on an M3 with a trunk and front bumper isn't going to cut it.

(regardless, I de-badge anyways, even it it were a real CSL)
JJR4884 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
choxor

My Ride: JDM
I think you're seriously underestimating how much it would cost to "clone" a CSL. And legitimately, no aftermarket vendor crap.

And here's how I look at it. If I saw you at a meet and asked you if it was a real CSL and you said no you'd instantly go from cool to poser. That's just the way I see it. If you had modded it and left the badges off that wouldn't happen. Then it would just be a cleanly modded M3.

Last edited by choxor; 09-07-2012 at 11:01 AM.
choxor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
agent050

My Ride: 2005 M3
I would say no to all the CSL parts, especially the badge(s)--complete *****!

Here's a cool video for anyone who doesn't know about the real CSL M3:

agent050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
JJR4884

keep in mind, the csl came with pilot sport cups stock, so i wouldn't be surprised if 1 sec alone came from the tires

what else is differnet about it? it is lighter...is that from the door cards, seats, and roof only? are there any other structural/body parts that weigh less?

the trunk is aluminum, right?

the rims are very slightly different than the CS rims as well, i forgot the details tho.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Yes, unless you're selling to a collector who has a boner for a CSL lookalike, you will not see a return on your money. Hopefully a little wisdom will grow within you for the next several years you're in college and you will nix this mental exercise on cost-basis alone.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
The CSL is substantially lighter, has no A/C or radio, has (essentially) cardboard for the floor of the boot, has carbon fibre for the roof, a plastic rear window, and much thinner glass, and also has about 20 bhp more than the standard US version M3. It was never certified for sale in the US, and was seriously expensive in Europe.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk56 View Post
The CSL is substantially lighter, has no A/C or radio, has (essentially) cardboard for the floor of the boot, has carbon fibre for the roof, a plastic rear window, and much thinner glass, and also has about 20 bhp more than the standard US version M3. It was never certified for sale in the US, and was seriously expensive in Europe.
The radio and a/c were not standard, however they could be added in. I forgot about the windows and what not. Also read that they ahve a lightweight exhaust manifold, and the piping in the exhaust is thinner to save some weight (lol really?)

Also, all the sound insulation was removed as well... fvcker must be loud as hell!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
grkm3

My Ride: Money Pit
Send a message via AIM to grkm3
I saw a stock looking silver gray ZCP M in the city 2 days ago. License plate said "CSL M3". No CSL mods on the car.

Coming Soon: Open to suggestions

grkm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #19
zanga254

Quote:
Of course, this started as a hypothetical question but if I were to actually go through I would make only exterior and performance mods. I wouldn't want to lose functionality since it would probably be my DD.

As for the roof question, I was under the impression that you would just need to take out the windows, cut the tacks and glue for a 1000 dollar roof.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
zanga254

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
I saw a stock looking silver gray ZCP M in the city 2 days ago. License plate said "CSL M3". No CSL mods on the car.
lol awk.

Tags
after market, csl