E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Rayce185
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied

Check the Voltage Regulator before replacing the whole Alternator...

I know there have been some threads about the V regulator, but none explicitly saying that you should check it to see if the coal contact is worn off before assuming that the whole alternator is broken, which costs three times as much.

Screw off the V reg and a spring fit coal piece should be exposed. Check if it still has contact to the alternator coils when installed by seeing if there is a slight spring resistance when mounting it back on.

Here is a list of the different alternators and V regs, check your alternator to see which one you have before buying a new regulator: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...16&hg=12&fg=22

I just wanted to reassure you guys of this, because a colleague of mine had to do this with his Mercedes, and the dealership told him that the whole alternator had to be replaced, literally pulling his leg and overcharging him
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Rayce185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
interesting
Old 01-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
Bkz325i
N|Y|C

My Ride: 2002, 325i
Send a message via AIM to Bkz325i
is the 120A BOSCH better then stock alternator?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
Rayce185

I guess it depends on what your car needs on power. I read somewhere that the 120A version is only used with a lot of options in your car, like the HK sound system, alarm etc.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 01-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
Bkz325i
N|Y|C

My Ride: 2002, 325i
Send a message via AIM to Bkz325i
I think I need that one... how much mileage is ussually dying time? ..lol
Old 01-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
I did that about two years ago. see link below. The regulator is mounted to the backside of the alternator. There is a catch. Since the regulator is like $80-$100 with no returns, if there is more going on that just the contacts. Like diodes or bearings than the whole alternator is going to need to be replaced. Then you have to buy a whole new alternator and be stuck with a slightly used regulator.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...88&postcount=6
Old 01-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Rayce185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
I did that about two years ago. see link below. The regulator is mounted to the backside of the alternator. There is a catch. Since the regulator is like $80-$100 with no returns, if there is more going on that just the contacts. Like diodes or bearings than the whole alternator is going to need to be replaced. Then you have to buy a whole new alternator and be stuck with a slightly used regulator.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...88&postcount=6
You could either buy the separate alternator ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...26&hg=12&fg=20 ), or tell BMW to test the voltage regulator first, before doing the whole exchange.
|

dun dun duuuunnnn
Old 01-25-2008, 06:05 PM   #8
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing.Ray View Post
You could either buy the separate alternator ( http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...26&hg=12&fg=20 ), or tell BMW to test the voltage regulator first, before doing the whole exchange.
i don't think you read my link. i've been there done that.

my point of the "catch" is the cost. in many cases the cost is much easier and better to just buy a rebuilt one with new regulator. bmw isn't going to just check your regultor or alternator for free. and many shops can't tell if the regulator is the exact problem or something else internal.

i'm not saying don't count out the regulator, i didn't and replaced mine. i have two threads on it and now posting in this one makes 2.5. i was just saying there is a catch.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
K:^P

My Ride: 00 323//65 Fastback
well it depends if you need a new alternator or not. If get low or no power then you'll need an alternator. If it's overcharging then you may get away with just changing the regulator.

Most people would replace the whole thing so they don't want deal with it again. (many alternators have internal regulators, so they have to replace the whole unit)
K:^P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
Mizar

My Ride: 325it ESS TX-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing.Ray View Post
I guess it depends on what your car needs on power. I read somewhere that the 120A version is only used with a lot of options in your car, like the HK sound system, alarm etc.
I don't think so. My 325i is absolutely bare bones, no extras (I am surprised I don't have the manual window cranks...), and my stock alternator is still the 120A Bosch. Or should I say: was (it just quit on me)
Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #11
boxy

My Ride: 2004 325CI
Send a message via MSN to boxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by K:^P View Post
well it depends if you need a new alternator or not. If get low or no power then you'll need an alternator. If it's overcharging then you may get away with just changing the regulator.

Most people would replace the whole thing so they don't want deal with it again. (many alternators have internal regulators, so they have to replace the whole unit)
Does any one know what is the regulator part number required for 2004 325CI (MS45.1)? It has Bosch 120A alternator with a oval control plug (similar to Z4) versus square plug used by MS 43 cars.

Thanks!