E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #41
dirtbiker245

My Ride: 00 323ci, 02 325i
So

So, I got all the cam sprockets/chains put on... I just gotta go buy an inch pound torque wrench to torque the sprocket bolts to spec... cause mine seems to be missing... (note to self, stop loaning my tools out to friends) lol.

I'll get some pics of the progress later today. Also, just a note, when removing the secondary chain tenshioner... (the one that tensions the chain from the exhaust to intake cam sprockets.... DONT let it over extend... they wont go back in, and its a 50 dollar mistake cause you WILL have to buy a new one. lol. If you dont have the "BMW Special Tool" like i didnt, I found out after the fact that a small nail will work just fun... I'll document this better on the write up that I am going to do on this whole process.
dirtbiker245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #42
ericsonp325i

My Ride: 01 Black 325i
thats a lot of work ur doin bro, ^+1 kodos

MODS:Harmon Kardon System// HK Drive+Play// CCFL Angel Eyes// Motorola HF850 BT Kit// Black Headlight Corners// Clear Side Markers// M3 Style Side Mirrors W/ LED Turn Signal// 20% Tint// LED Rear Tailights// M3 Style Front Bumper
ericsonp325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #43
dirtbiker245

thanks

thanks dude. Yeah... as a whole, it looks overwhelming... but I just take it day by day, and suprisingly, its getting done. haha. I should be able to get the vanos on today... Then Im waiting for a new plastic vaccumm hose that I broke... of course I broke the special bmw one with a crazy connector... I couldnt have made it easy and broken a standard one. lol. But yeah... as long as I get vanos all put together today, I will be happy. The intake manifold isnt that difficult... well.. its alot of connectors and junk... but if I do something wrong there... the car just wont start... where as if I screw up the vanos.. the engine will most likely be wrecked... haha, so it will be a sigh of relief to be done with timing related stuff.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #44
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
hey riley! good luck with the headgasket shiet.. haha

-raj
Old 03-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #45
dirtbiker245

thanks

thanks raj. Fancy seeing you on here. lol. Yeah, head gasket is long done... now im just finishing all the "other" things that have to be re-assembled... i'd say the car is 80% done.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:50 AM   #46
dirtbiker245

today's progress

So today I got vanos completely installed and timed... and the whole shabang. lol. And nothing but praise for pelican! I ordered the hose that I broke... and they said one week... 2 days after I order it, it arrives on my doorstep

Also, a sidenote, if you ever need to buy a inch pound torque wrench... check out harbor freight! I got a click one for 15 bucks. It worked great for the job

Tommorow im hoping to get the valve cover on.. maybe even throw the coil packs in and all.. just so that all I have left to do is the intake manifold stuff... I'll keep you updated
Old 03-02-2008, 03:44 AM   #47
ericsonp325i

My Ride: 01 Black 325i
harbor freight is kewl use it all the time with my NAVY job...i wish i was going to LA sometime soon i would stop by and check this project out my self....keep on kickin bro

MODS:Harmon Kardon System// HK Drive+Play// CCFL Angel Eyes// Motorola HF850 BT Kit// Black Headlight Corners// Clear Side Markers// M3 Style Side Mirrors W/ LED Turn Signal// 20% Tint// LED Rear Tailights// M3 Style Front Bumper
ericsonp325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #48
dirtbiker245

almost done!!!

So I have been cranking away on the bimmer heres a crappy picture that I took with my phone... but none the less... you get the idea... timing/vanos is complete, exhaust manifold is completely done... coil packs are in.

Intake manifold is on, bolted on to spec. fuel injectors are in with new o-rings. Fuel rail is on.

Tommorow I will get the throttle body on, airbox back in, and clutch fan back on. Then I should be ready to fire it up after making sure all the connectors are plugged in. lol. Its so close, im excited!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #49
dirtbiker245

She lives! After a LONG time of work... re-work, and re-checking to make sure everything was done right, I fired her up today.. she smoked for a bit from the excess oil in the cylinders from it being apart, but she runs good now... I still am bleeding the cooling system and want to change the oil. I'll take it for a spin tommorow
Old 03-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #50
Akbrazil

My Ride: 03 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to Akbrazil Send a message via MSN to Akbrazil
Great Job!! Glad to hear.
What did the final cost come to from start to finish?
Akbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:51 AM   #51
dirtbiker245

The final cost was somewhere in the ballpark of 800 dollars, HOWEVER that would not be typical... This is because I had the head sandblasted, new valves, valve seats ground, new valve guides... The head work alone at the machine shop was 500 bucks.... Normally the head wouldnt need much work at all...

Figure... 300 bucks for gaskets and any hoses/bolts you may break, as well as a new head bolt set. Not bad compared to what the dealer would ask... im sure they would want at least 4 grand... maybe 5. haha.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:52 AM   #52
dirtbiker245

Oh, and also, just a little sidenote... I put vanos back together WITHOUT using the BMW special tools... just to prove that its possible. haha. It does make it a bit easier to do stuff if you have them, however its perfectly possible to make everything work without buying the tools
Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 AM   #53
BavLar

My Ride: 330Cic 5spd & 330i
You're a brave man...or just crazy. I bought the Bentley manual and saved myself lots of cash simply by seeing enough to know I'm not qualified and don't have the tools required to successfully complete the job. By not attempting some of this stuff I've essentially kept breakage to a minimum. Bentley paid for itself!!
Good job. Hope you enjoyed the project.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #54
stigg

My Ride: 2003 325 Wagon
I think much of taking on the task is a persons aversion to risk. That, and the nights of doubt as your car sits gutted in the garage.
stigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 AM   #55
dirtbiker245

Haha, yes, I totally understand your guyses views. This is not the typical DIY project...

It requires somebody with a decent amount of knowledge and experience. I however, am a 19 year old kid. haha. But ive taken apart many motors, and put them together, rebuilt a couple... so I've got the experience... but if Ive learned anything, its that if you get held up and dont know what to do... ASK and find the right answer... dont guess... thats the most important thing to do to avoid making mistakes.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #56
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
You're my hero. You just restored my faith in humanity.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #57
Wes328i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Send a message via AIM to Wes328i
Nice work man! Mine just got done as well. They machined the head and all. Replaced basically the entire cooling system (expansion tank, thermostat, water pump, hoses, etc). So it can be done guys...

I paid $900 to have it done (by the dealer who sold me the car)

2003 325i
previous: 1999 328i
Wes328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:04 PM   #58
dirtbiker245

wes

wes, was that a BMW dealer or an independant dealer... 900 dollars? The parts alone are that or a bit more... Was it a deal where you bought it on the terms that they fix it for 900 dollars? From an independant dealer or something? Cause I could see them just absorbing the labor costs... even so though... I know my friend just had the following done to his e46 bimmer at BMW of Santa Monica:
-New Radiator
-New Thermostat
-New Clutch Fan
-New Expansion Tank
-New Hoses
-New Belts

The grand total of this was around 5500 dollars... And this was just 4 months ago... So i dont see how they did it for 900 bucks... but congrats dude... you stole that... lol.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #59
zeshon

My Ride: S/C 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker245 View Post
wes, was that a BMW dealer or an independant dealer... 900 dollars? The parts alone are that or a bit more... Was it a deal where you bought it on the terms that they fix it for 900 dollars? From an independant dealer or something? Cause I could see them just absorbing the labor costs... even so though... I know my friend just had the following done to his e46 bimmer at BMW of Santa Monica:
-New Radiator
-New Thermostat
-New Clutch Fan
-New Expansion Tank
-New Hoses
-New Belts

The grand total of this was around 5500 dollars... And this was just 4 months ago... So i dont see how they did it for 900 bucks... but congrats dude... you stole that... lol.
Jesus, I hope they used a condom.

Favorite sponsors
Bavarian Soundwerks | Euro Spec

Mods : Performance : Active Autowerkes Stage 1 C38 New Subframe and TMS Rear Re-Enforcements Upgraded VANOS seals M3 Fuel Baffle KW V2 ZHP Control Arms E60 Short Shifter Sound : Bavarian Soundwereks Stage 2 DICE iPod Link Looks : Replica M3 Mirrors Replica M3 Front Bumper Matte Black Grillz LED Signals
zeshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #60
dirtbiker245

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeshon View Post
Jesus, I hope they used a condom.
hahaha, so true! lol.