E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
Kye7

My Ride: BMW 2003 330xi
Transmission thermostat question

So my expansion tank blew, and the old thermostat broke. I know this is normal, and I have a new thermostat. so I put the new one in and tried to push it is hard as I could with all my force, but I can't get it all the way in. Now I fear I can not get it out. I cannot fit the expansion tank back on with the top piece of the thermostat. So I removed it. and it seats fine.

I have heard of people running without a thermostat, but never part of it. What could happen?
I know I can: not get heat, the car will take longer to warm, or transmission fluid will be extra hot.

Can I leave this top piece of it off? Is it crucial? I do not think I'm getting it out of there.

I wish I had used the old o-rings from my previous thermostat before I put it in.

And yes I broke the little alignment wedge off of it.

This is how far I have it down, it's flush with the clip plastic, but not all they way down where it needs to be.

What do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1419717946948.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	584906  

Last edited by Kye7; 12-27-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Kye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Kye7

Need an answer to this soon please, if anyone knows about this.
I have to get my car put back together today

Last edited by Kye7; 12-29-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #3
goose123

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
I think I would just buy the entire black plastic piece that mounts on the radiator. The thermostat should already be in it. Read on one of the threads that it is $75.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...tat/ES2763801/

goose123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Kye7

Good idea, but I need to get it put back today. Do you know what would happen if I ran the car without the upmost part of the thermostat?
Old 12-30-2014, 02:21 AM   #5
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330 Ci convertible
I just grabbed an old one of these thermostats out of the shed to take a look, and also had a look at some old diagrams I made of where the coolant flows. Here's my take on the situation.

Engine cooling is unchanged. The thermostat is just to regulate coolant to the auto TX fluid heat exchanger that sits below the radiator.

The thermostat in question is in fact two thermostats in one. The top one you are missing is open when cold to allow coolant directly from the expansion tank, in order to heat up the TX fluid quickly. It closes (although not completely), when the coolant gets to normal operating temp.

The bottom one, which you have, is closed when cold, but opens at operating temp to allow coolant to flow from the radiator to cool the TX fluid.

Without testing I can't be sure, but this is what I think will happen without the upper part of the thermostat.

The TX fluid will warm up quickly as the engine coolant warms as normal. When at operating temp, the lower thermostat will open, but the upper (not being there) will not restrict the flow from the expansion tank, and therefore there won't be the required cooling. As a result, the TX fluid will be hotter. This is bad. If you want to try it out, plug INPA (or similar) into the car and see what happens, but personally, I would be replacing parts to make everything as it should be.

Last edited by jjrichar; 12-30-2014 at 02:59 AM.
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose123 View Post
I think I would just buy the entire black plastic piece that mounts on the radiator. The thermostat should already be in it. Read on one of the threads that it is $75.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...tat/ES2763801/
That is a great price for thermostat and brackets!

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Sir Knight BMWCaptain. - Over 1 Billion Served!

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 12-30-2014 at 05:57 PM.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:00 AM   #7
Kye7

Thanks jjrichar. Very informative.
This is exactly what I was looking for.

So all that is happening is my transmission is getting hotter while the car is getting up to temperature?

Will def look into buying a new bracket.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
jjrichar
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330 Ci convertible
Kye, what I'm saying is that as the car engine is warming, the transmission oil will warm up as per normal with it. The difference is the transmission oil won't hold at the correct operating temperature, but will continue to get hotter as you drive the car. This is bad, and is a sure fire way to trash the transmission. Again this is just a theory based on what I can deduce by looking at the system.
jjrichar is offline   Reply With Quote