E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #21
RockerGuy

My Ride: Not a BMW
Just to bring things in perspective

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...23&hg=17&fg=05

Hopefully I will not spend too much time on this tomorrow
RockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #22
Lbert

My Ride: 325i
A major drawback on getting a Behr radiator compared to an OEM is if you need a replacement drain plug, nobody has it. Yes, I have checked several internet suppliers and none seem to carry it. I managed to lose the drain plug over the weekend while changing the coolant.

Does anybody know who may carry a replacement drain plug?
Lbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #23
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
According to AutohausAZ, their Behr 17-11-9-071-519 radiator is:

"For models with automatic transmissions. This is an OE replacement version, perfect in fit and functionality but does not include provision for the proprietary drain petcock baffle assembly. A standard drain plug is used in place of that assembly."

'Standard drain plug' should mean a metric sized drain plug, probably M12x1.5mm (like the oil drain plug) or from the photo probably a bigger size (M14 or M16). Did it have an o-ring or just a washer like the oil drain plug?
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #24
khbiesfd

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
i put this under my favorites. Im going to do the overhaul kit soon. I just need to find a radiator. I want to know if the radiators from the more powerful cars such as a 330, 328 or 325 will fit my car a 323? And if so will it be more beneficial to my car than simply swapping out to another 323 radiator?
khbiesfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #25
mr_328i

My Ride: 1999 BMW 328i
Transmission Cooler

I had replaced my radiator on my 328i. When I put the radiator mounting plate back in place, it started to leak even when it was not under pressure....can anyone help??? Is there o rings or something im overlooking???thanks

Last edited by mr_328i; 04-27-2010 at 08:56 AM.
mr_328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #26
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_328i View Post
I had replaced my radiator on my 328i. When I put the radiator mounting plate back in place, it started to leak even when it was not under pressure....can anyone help??? Is there o rings or something im overlooking???thanks
The mounting plate to the expansion tank needs to securely be mounted together with the tank. You will know it is securely mounted when the push-in clip "clips" into place. If you simply push it, but don't feel/hear it "snap" into place, then the tank isn't mounted properly. This will result in a leak. It takes some good elbow grease to mount that tank securely. Just push hard while wiggling it back and forth. The sealing ring is very tight so it takes lots of pressure to mount correctly.

A good tip for doing this is mount the mounting plate to the radiator and the expanion tank to the mounting plate while OUTSIDE of the car. So have the radiator outside the car then mount all three pieces together before dropping it into place. This ensures you have everything snug.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #27
mp333

My Ride: 2003 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by beberle View Post
The entire plastic 'bolt' is the drain plug. I used a crescent wrench and checked that it is indeed threaded before I installed it.
How does this bolt come out. I just a cooling overhaul and it leaking from the black bolt. Is just a 1/4 turn counter clock wise and it pulls out?

Thanks
mp333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #28
TrickTizzle

Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
...I have a leak. I cant tell if its the expansion tank or the radiator. Its in between those two. When I fill up the expansion tank and drive car, when I come back i have puddles.
I got the car up but I cant tell if its the expansion tank or the radiator. Im thinking its the plstic **** around the radiator, but 80,000 miles is too early for a radiator to go..no?
any help would be appreciated.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #29
TrickTizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
...I have a leak. I cant tell if its the expansion tank or the radiator. Its in between those two. When I fill up the expansion tank and drive car, when I come back i have puddles.
I got the car up but I cant tell if its the expansion tank or the radiator. Im thinking its the plstic **** around the radiator, but 80,000 miles is too early for a radiator to go..no?
..bump, any insight on this?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #30
Aj20034

My Ride: 330ci, 535i F10
i have the same problem let me know what u find out....
Aj20034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #31
Many330i

My Ride: 330i ZHP Silver
Quick question: to do the radiator alone, do I have to remove the E/T [again]? I did the E/T sometime back, now the Radiator is leaking and would want to replace it soonest. I guess, I will do belts also!
Many330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #32
Many330i

^^^
Old 11-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #33
mp333

My Ride: 2003 325XI
"...I have a leak. I cant tell if its the expansion tank or the radiator. Its in between those two. When I fill up the expansion tank and drive car, when I come back i have puddles.
any help would be appreciated."

It could be your Transmission thermostat which sits between expansion tank and bottom black piece that aatached to the radioter.
Might want to try a dye that gets added to the coolant.

GL

Last edited by mp333; 11-07-2010 at 12:26 AM.
mp333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #34
Many330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp333 View Post
It could be your Transmission thermostat which sits between expansion tank and bottom black piece that aatached to the radioter.
Might want to try a dye that gets added to the coolant.

GL
Thanx for the reply, ..but I have a manual!
Old 11-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #35
TrickTizzle

nice dude, how long do you think it will take to do just the radiator?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #36
WBVenom

My Ride: Car 54
Quote:
Have your radiator pressure-tested. Any shop doing BMW work will have a European adapter for their tester.

I had a similar leak that would only appear under higher pressure so I could not find it with the car idling. Connected the pressure tester, pumped it up to ~10 psi, and the leak made itself apparent immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Many330i View Post
Quick question: to do the radiator alone, do I have to remove the E/T [again]? I did the E/T sometime back, now the Radiator is leaking and would want to replace it soonest. I guess, I will do belts also!
It is possible to remove the E/T bracket from the radiator with the E/T still attached to the bracket, but I don't think it would leave enough clearance to remove the radiator. Probably best to remove the E/T.
WBVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #37
magnuzza

My Ride: Black 323i
There are only 2 screws total that hold the radiator (1 passenger, 1 driver side)?
magnuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:21 AM   #38
japicella

My Ride: '01 325i'06 X3 '86C4
I just replaced my radiator and have a major leak where the inlet on the expansion tank bracket snaps into the radiator. Did I miss an O ring or something? I'm not sure if E46 Mango had the same problem but the OP is right, Bentley doesn't go into much detail about this.
Is there something I'm missing?

I replaced my Vanos, water pump, thermostat, plugs, coil packs and gaskets all in one shot last spring and found it to be much easier than anticipated. This however has been one PITA between stubborn hose connectors and this leak!
Thanks,
Jerry
japicella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #39
325myAZ

My Ride: 2001 325i
If you have a manual transmission, you need to make sure to get a radiator for a manual - otherwise it's probably leaking at the fitting (hole) for the Automatic Transmission cooling line.
325myAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #40
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325myAZ View Post
If you have a manual transmission, you need to make sure to get a radiator for a manual - otherwise it's probably leaking at the fitting (hole) for the Automatic Transmission cooling line.
Is it because there is only 1 single O ring on the manual radiator adjusting screw holding it all back? I noticed it is shorter.

Has anyone been able to use an automatic radiator 17119071519 with manual adjusting screw part 17111437359 for a car with a manual gearbox? I noticed that the adjusting screw for part just noted does seem to block out coolant trying to come out of that hole for the auto tranny cooling line, but have not pressure tested it like this yet. The adjusting screw also appears to be designed differently.

Just wondered why BMW could not source out design for a radiator that fits both, if that is even the case.

325myAZ: Have you seen both adjusting screw/drain plug areas for both radiator for a manual 17119071518 and the adjusting screw/drain plug area for a radiator for an automatic?
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote