E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #1
rylee

My Ride: 2001 330i
DIY lower radiator hose

can someone please give me a diy on replacing upper and lower radiator hoses.

thanks in advance
rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
K:^P

My Ride: 00 323//65 Fastback
Pretty straight forward. Pull up on the clip on the hose and pull out the hose.

Well, not really that easy. The lower hose was a pain to take out. Remove the sensor and see if you can disconnect the lower hose from the radiator. If you do that, then take a look at the upper part that's connected to the thermostat. As you can see, there's limited space. If I were to do it again, I would take out the thermostat with the lower hose.

Replace the lower hose, by connecting the new one to the thermostat then install the thermo then connect the radiator part.

Upper hose, you should not have problem with.

I think to do this job, it would wise to do the belts, water pump, expansion tank, and maybe the thermostat all at once.
K:^P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
rylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by K:^P View Post
Pretty straight forward. Pull up on the clip on the hose and pull out the hose.

Well, not really that easy. The lower hose was a pain to take out. Remove the sensor and see if you can disconnect the lower hose from the radiator. If you do that, then take a look at the upper part that's connected to the thermostat. As you can see, there's limited space. If I were to do it again, I would take out the thermostat with the lower hose.

Replace the lower hose, by connecting the new one to the thermostat then install the thermo then connect the radiator part.

Upper hose, you should not have problem with.

I think to do this job, it would wise to do the belts, water pump, expansion tank, and maybe the thermostat all at once.

I have a brand thermostat that was just put in it about a month ago by my shop. im replacing the expansion tank so i thought i would do the hoses as well. i got the upper hose off the new one on, but do you have to take the fan off in order to pull the lower radiator hose off?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
rylee

i know someone can answer this question for me please
Old 02-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
rylee

help me out
Old 02-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
silver330ciman

My Ride: TiAg 330CI TS1
I would type everything out with pics and all, but you should search for expansion tank DIY or type in hoses...there have been at least 5 threads detailing the DIY on this. GL.

Sig by hi its me alec
silver330ciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylee View Post
I have a brand thermostat that was just put in it about a month ago by my shop. im replacing the expansion tank so i thought i would do the hoses as well. i got the upper hose off the new one on, but do you have to take the fan off in order to pull the lower radiator hose off?
I don't remember if I needed to remove the fan. But you mean the mechanical fan that attached to the water pump? I don't think I did.
I think you can take out the thermostat without needing removing the fan.

like I said before, try to remove the lower hose radiator part first and if it's too much trouble then decide if you want to replace it. (to me the lower hose didn't take that much abuse unlike the upper hose, so it last longer. correct me if I'm wrong people..)

Last edited by K:^P; 02-13-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
djacs1

My Ride: 2001 325i
i did a whole cooling system replacement except the radiator so i had the fan and water pump out when i did the hoses. the access to get good grip on the lowere hose connection was still tough. mine needed alot of force and prying to get it off.

when you replace the temperature sensor in the lower hose be sure to repalce the little o-ring in it or the whole sensor, others have had leaks here if the sensor o-ring was reused.

good luck.
djacs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
beberle

My Ride: 2009 328 wagon
If you're replacing the lower radiator hose, replace the fan switch as well or it will probably leak.

If you're not pulling out the fan, then you'll have to get under the car. Depending upon how many miles you have, getting the hose off of the radiator will be a bear. I just replaced my radiator and actually cut that hose off because it just wouldn't budge.

Luck!
beberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
myksbmw

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
The fan can still be installed inorder to replace the lower Radiator hose. I learned this the hard way. After I had done a complete cooling system overhaul, I had a lead from the coolant sensor in the lower radiator hose. I was able to get to it just fine with the car put back together. You will need to get under the car and remove the plastic engine sheild. The hardest part of the service was getting that lower hose to clip back in.
myksbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
carthageHannial

My Ride: 330CI
Usually it's hard to do it without removing the fan. But if you can do it without ie; you have elastic hands or special talent ... then you're good

When I replaced my hoses, the lower hose proved to be impossible to move ... it took me almost an hour to get it
off and another hour to put it on.
carthageHannial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:33 PM   #12
reynaldo

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to reynaldo
how did you remove the lower hose? I am stuck today cause cnt get it off ended up cutting the hose to close to the radiator outlet but still wont move. I replaced 2 belts, thermo, WP, upper rad hose, Expansion tank/thermo/level switch.
reynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
reynaldo

Finally fixed after 3 agonizing day. I had to cut the lower rad hose and cut the plastic end horizontally in 3 different location but be sure you dont cut the rad outlet and then pry it with screw driver. Putiing a new is not that laborious.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
Xeek

My Ride: 2000 328ci, 2010 328
Send a message via AIM to Xeek Send a message via Yahoo to Xeek
Got my lower hose off today it wasn't too bad, the bottom part I was able to pry off, there is bulky tabs off the start of the hose, a bulk of plastic that was strong enough for me to pry backwards and I got it off. The top part of the hose was easier, I carefuly put a flat head screwdriver on the top of it and hammered it lightly down working my way around.

The only problem I have now is getting the sensor off.. I may just replace it tomorrow if I cant get it off.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #15
Xeek

I cant get the top part of my hose on... it seems like you can't take the fan or fan shroud off unless you take radiator out.. This is impossible to do :-(
Old 11-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #16

you can try to un-bolt the thermostat and then you have more space to slide to hose on. I was able to do it with removing it tho... attach the thermostat end then the radiator end.

btw, you don't need to remove the radiator to take out the fan and shroud. There's some DIY out there, it's like:

Use the special tool to unscrew the big mechanical fan's nut (clockwise).

lift the two plastic pins to remove that air intake on top of the shroud.
get that relay on the left out of the way.
lift two more plastic pins and unscrew two screw to remove the shroud.
then you can lift the fan and shroud out all at once.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
Xeek

I can't find any DIYs on the fan, everything says, remove fan with no details.
I'm going to attempt to take the thermostat housing off to get the job done.. hopefuly itl work this time, im not sure how much the dealership would charge me to do this, but I bet it would be easy for them to do if they did.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 PM   #18

Removing the fan is a task if you don't have the right tool. I would try again to insert the lower hose, just take your time, mm by mm. Lube the end with dishwashing soap if it can help.

If not maybe this can help.

http://tuningemotion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2471

I made my own tool with a piece of 4 ft long steel you can buy at like homedepot. I used the new waterpump(to replace the old) as a template. I drill two holes matching the two of the four of the pulley and craved a little of the edge to clear the big fan nut.

Unscrew two on the bolts of the pulley(the 4 bolts pattern is not square, FYI).
Screw back the bolts onto the pulley with the tool.
Insert the 32mm wrench and wack, the nut spun.

I actually used this tool again when I had to replace the belt tensioner, so maybe not a one time usage.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #19
reynaldo

Remove the powersteering reservoir and air filter box for more room.