E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
bronsky

My Ride: 323ci 2000
Wierd wiper problem - HELP!

I live on the east coast near Philadelphia. We had a freak ice storm that I was driving in last night. As I was going home, ice was building up near the base of the wipers and on the windshield. I think it prevented a complete cycle from lock to lock of the wiper sweep. Just as I am near home, the wipers seem to reverse their orientation from horizontial to vertical. When they are at the end of their cycle, they are straight up and down instead of resting horizontially at the base of the windshield.

This continued until I got home and when I turned the wipers they stopped in the verticle position - perpendicular to the windshield. Even after I turned them on today, they still do the same thing, essentiall operating 90 degrees out of whack. Other than the orientation, they work perfectly.

Here's my guess, if there is a worm gear, the ice caused a blockage that made the arm mechanism rotate 90 degrees and it needs to be dissambled and put back together in the proper alignment. Or am I all wrong. Is the orientation controled electronically? And, if so, can I reset it?

Has anybody else had this problem? BTW, I have a 2000 232 convert.

Thanks

Bronsky
bronsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
I have this problem too. My wipers stop about 4 inches from where they should be when stopped. Fiddling with the switch a few times will correct the problem but the problem will come back intermitently. Any ideas folks?

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
bronsky

Hate to bump this - but im really spooked by the fact that when my wipers turn on, they move down. I'm concerned that readjusting the wipers won't work cause they will try to go down instead of up.

Any thoughts? Is there a place online to look at a schematic?

Bronsky
Old 02-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
bronsky

OK one more bump and a clearer question.

Does anybody know this?

When the wipers go up, what tells them to start back down again? Is there a mechanical gear, like in my old cars like MG's or Rx7's that completes a cycle and then has a cam that reverses the motion of the blades. Or is BWM more elaborate. Do they use relays to reverse the motor. I have to tell you that the way my wipers are operating makes no sense. Even though they are veriticle at rest, as soon as you turn them on, they don't try to go up, they start moving in the downward direction. If the blades had simply slipped the bungs on the cam of the wiper assembly, wouldn't the blades start up and only begin to go down once they met resistence? If I undo the blades and adjust them to the horizontal, what will tell them to start moving upward unstead of downward?

Am I crazy?

Bronsky
Old 03-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
greekpsycho

My Ride: '01 325i Touring
Send a message via AIM to greekpsycho Send a message via Yahoo to greekpsycho
I have this same problem, i did a temp fix one day but it came back...I waited till they reached the bottom of the windshield and cut the power at that exact moment. Then I used some raw force and pushed them down further with my hands. Next time i used em they were fine for about a day. Then the prob is back...No one knows anything bout this?? I was gonna loosen the bolts and return them to bottom position and see what happened....or i even thought about disconnecting the battery for a while to maybe reset something??? I dunno, im just using my imagination here...anybody HELP!
greekpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
MattG1329

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Anyone ever figure this out? I have the EXACT same problem right now and feel it is related to the cold, ice and snow.
MattG1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #7
supertour96

My Ride: 2003 E46 325i
Yeah....your wiper linkage is bad.....you need a new one.....the dealer sells the whole assembly with the motor...it's all one piece...and the part is about $300.00 brand new.....plus if they install it another $200-$250 I got mine from the junk yard though for $25.00 bucks....yay me!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Rocket22

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
Wiper motor

I have the same problem.

I am assuming the problem is in the mechanics of the motor and has nothing to do with the control module. I have replaced these on several GM models and in addition to the stoppage at a vertical point, the motor has been losing speed. I am also going the recylcer route and will post an update when complete.

Question: Can the motor be opened up and repaired/replaced?
Rocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
aa325i

My Ride: BMW
sometes u can loosen the nut at the wiper motor linkage itself. u have to take off trim/cowl pieces to acess. and re-align the motor in its position. i have done it before. if u cant u will need a new wiper motor.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
supertour96

My Ride: 2003 E46 325i
Loosening the nut will do no good....the linkage is stripped beyond its normal parameters. I'm sure you could open the motor but why would you want to go through all of that when you can replace the entire assembly...I would think it would be easier just to get an operating one from a salvage yard.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
zp18zp18

My Ride: 99 323i
I have the exact same problem. Wipers stop at 12 o'clock. Turn them on and they go to 3, then back to 12. My BMW contact said the motor had to be replaced and verified the $300 price and a 1.2 hour allotment for mechanic time.
I see that some members have replaced their own assembly. Would someone please post the steps to replace the assy? I can see the arm for the passenger side wiper in behind the air filter but cannot see how to get at the whole thing.
Just looking for some ideas before I take something off that needs to stay.

Thanks, GWB
99 323i

• 65 Mustang GT Coupe (one owner, me)

• 87 535i(sold)

• 88 325is

• 99 323i

• So Cal, Orange County

I need a 02-05 330Ci

zp18zp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
Rocket22

same issue, is there a sticky needed?

I have the same issue and will be pulling the wiper motor this weekend (if it ever stops raining in Chicago). I have a backup motor from a recycler to be installed if it is not something that can easily be repaired. If there is a need I will take some photos and document the process (reply to this thread if needed). If there is a sticky here, someone please point me to it.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
zp18zp18

My Ride: 99 323i
I have since bought a wiper motor assembly from a recycler along with a new dust cover which should come today or tomorrow. In the meantime I was able to see the TIS instructions for R&R and it does look fairly easy to replace. The manual says 2.25 hours so it shouldn't be too tough. Essentilally:
Remove the wipers, remove the dust cover, remove the microfilter, remove the whole microfilter mount, remove rubber seal, then there are two 1/2 turn fasteners on the side trim cover-one on the firewall and one on the rounded hump near the wiper mount. This should open up an area where you can see the wiper assy through the firewall.
I will also try this and if my photos and documentation are clear enough, then I will post the photos.
Good luck to you also.
GWB

• 65 Mustang GT Coupe (one owner, me)

• 87 535i(sold)

• 88 325is

• 99 323i

• So Cal, Orange County

I need a 02-05 330Ci

zp18zp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #14
Shayn

My Ride: 325ci
^^ Please keep us updated.
Shayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
Rocket22

Will do

I have replaced a number of wiper motors in my day, I think my subconscious is delaying me since all of my work has been on GM's and fords. I just replaced this on my vette which was simple (gotta love the clamshell hood).
I am getting annoyed that I need to decide before i drive if I am going to use the wipers or not. (hence they stop vertically if I use them after pushing them down).

I am also betting that there is a quick fix and a new motor will not be needed.
I am also a big fan of listing what tools will be needed (wrench sizes, type) so the trips to the tool bin are reduced.....
Old 03-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
232 Convert . . .haha. Isn't that a mazda?
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
bronsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
232 Convert . . .haha. Isn't that a mazda?
Yea - ha ha I must be on the wrong forum.

Bronsky

I wound up replacing the whole motor/wiper assembly. Supertour was right that the internal mechanism was stripped. I actually ordered a new assembly but I would think that a salvage yard mechanism would work fine. No question in my mind that the ice caused the stripping, not normal wear.

Replacement was easy.

Last edited by bronsky; 03-13-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: added information
Old 03-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #18
Rocket22

No need to replace whole motor-read on

The bottom line is if the wipers work as before, but end up vertical when finished with the cycle, this can be fixed with an adjustment of the motor by removing the 13 mm bolt that holds the motor arm to the wipers. Here is what I did and I will provide a better write up on the motor removal if needed. If you look at the cylce of the wipers the end position should be to the far left. So when you stop the wipers and position is vertical, you can assume the motor is in correct position, the wipers are not. Try to remove the motor without moving the wipers (motor position). Lossen the 13 mm bolt and reposition the wipers to coincide with the far left position. Reattach the bolt in the correct position and reinstall. If the teeth are stripped, you could add some JB weld or some other method which would hold the motor are in place, but would most likely the repair.

Please let me know if other detail is needed. I also now have an extra motor that was not needed since I fixed mine. I installed both to verify the motor stop was correct and the fix was the same (slightly different BMW motors)