E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
USMC_O1

My Ride: BMW 323i
HID Xenon Converstion Kit Installation Help!!!!

Ok, so I'm not exactly car savvy when it comes to upgrades and where everything goes, especially when it comes to european cars, so just putting that out there as a disclaimer...

I bought an HID Conversion kid for my 2000 323i to upgrade from standard halogen. Everything went fine, I connected all the lights and wires properly except two wires that are spliced and need to be connected to what the directions call "the position light on the car body harness." I have no idea what this means and it obviously makes a huge difference as the only lights that come on are my High Beams.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

USMC_O1
USMC_O1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
I would suggest you also buy HID projectors as you will blind oncoming traffic if you use the kit in your halogen housings.

I think position lights are also known as park lights in some countries.

Try to post this or have it moved to the lighting forum. You will get more responses from the experts there.

Welcome to the boards!!!

Last edited by Breyton-BMW; 02-14-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
USMC_O1

They are projector headlights... thanks for the help though
Old 02-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
Breyton-BMW

They are supposed to be plug and play and no splicing involved.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
tchavis1989

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Send a message via AIM to tchavis1989 Send a message via Yahoo to tchavis1989
the position light is what you're drawing your power from ... the positive wire to the positive of the headlight low beam and the same with the negative
tchavis1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
tchavis1989

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330i
Send a message via AIM to tchavis1989 Send a message via Yahoo to tchavis1989
if you need more help pm me and I'll give you my number to call, I did the same with my depo projectors on my 323i before getting my zhp
tchavis1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
e46_323

My Ride: 323
don;t forget to pull ou fuse 32 or something lol

i got a set of hid conversion isntalled on mine too and loved it

///M3 Bumper // DEPO P46 w/ DDE Angel Eyes (6000k) // 8000k H7 HID // Depo Smoked Corners // Depo Smoked Sidemarkers // Clear Tails // Remus Powersound Exhaust w/ 2nd res delete // Koni Str.T Shocks // Hotchkis Sport Springs // RE RSMs // AEM CAI // Matte Black Grills // CF Roundals // Tints // BBS RS-GT 18x8 // DICE Silverline Pro

"The Ultimate Driving Machine ... E46 Forever"
e46_323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #8
gferil

My Ride: 06 Z4MC, 2000 323ci
Was your kit advertised as plug and play? I was under the assumption most kits now are PNP and require no splicing...

Anyways, you should have spliced into your current low beam harness if splicing was required.

Any chances of taking a picture of where you spliced and maybe we can help you better? From what it sounds like you spliced into the wrong harness maybe?
gferil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
sdbimmer

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
It should be plug n play. You shouldn't have to spice into anything. If you have the two expose wires, you probably will need a wiring plug.

Check out this link, in STEP 5, you will need a plug similar to that. But for an H7 plug (the one with the two pronges).

http://www.visionbulbs.com/HID_inst.html

If you get a "bulb light out" on your dash, use a Capacitor to fix that. No need to pull a fuse.
sdbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
USMC_O1

Maybe splice was a bad choice of words... the whole set was advertised and plug and play... it came with xenon bulbs preinstalled and the whole package was basically set to go except for some wiring. I have it all mounted and correctly wired except for this set of black and grey wires. There are three pairs that come out of the relay. One set goes to the red and black connector on the left assembly, one set goes to the right assembly and then there is another set that has no connector its just one black and grey set with a plastic tube covering the wires and electrical tape near the tip. The wires are fresh cut with the insulation covering the entirety and no exposed wires... not sure where these go...
Old 02-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #11
sdbimmer

Lets use the install link that I sent you for reference. On STEP 4, look at #3. That is probably the expose wire that you see. On this installation, it has the 9006 plug. On yours, there is no plug, just expose wires. Those are the sensing wire. It tells the relay when to give power to your HIDs. These two wires need to be plug into one of your light bulb wire. Your Harness is not truely plug n play just yet. You still need to hook up an H7 (male) connector to that expose wire. Then hook up that H7 (male) connector to one of your light bulb plug. Look at your halogen bulb. Those two pronge at the end of the bulb, that's what you need, but in a wire form.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:21 AM   #12
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbimmer View Post
It should be plug n play. You shouldn't have to spice into anything. If you have the two expose wires, you probably will need a wiring plug.

Check out this link, in STEP 5, you will need a plug similar to that. But for an H7 plug (the one with the two pronges).

http://www.visionbulbs.com/HID_inst.html

If you get a "bulb light out" on your dash, use a Capacitor to fix that. No need to pull a fuse.

I used a capacitor to fix my bulb out warning. I worked but my bulbs will flash a few times when I go start the car. I'm sure my hid bulbs won't like that too much. Removing fuse 32 solved this problem.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #13
sdbimmer

But you know what...I don't know if your car is the same as mine, I have a 2004 and I didn't have to use the RELAY at all. Since on the 2004, it's made to house Xenon and Halogen, all the wires and mounting places exist. I just mounted the Ballast to the bottom of the headlamp assembly. Then on the side of the assemby, there is the light plug that connects to your headlamp assembly. if you unplug that, it looks like #1 and #2 on STEP 4. Plug that directly into your Ballast. Then from the Ballast, two wires goes directly into your Xenon Bulbs. So all you have is the Ballast on each side and no need for relay or running wires. Now that is truely plug n play.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
sdbimmer

I used a 4700 microfarat capacitor. yeah I get the light bulb on sometimes too. And here is how to fix that.....Just turn on your left or right turn blinker for 2-3 blinks and the bulb lights error goes away. Even with the light bulb error on with the capacitor, it shouldn't cause any issues with your Xenon. the Capacitor helps clean the power and regulate power flucuation when the light bulb error comes on.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
USMC_O1

sdbimmer : the only H7 bulbs I have are in my high beam sockets, are those the H7 connectors you are referring to?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 PM   #16
sdbimmer

I'm not sure with 2000 models, but I think low beam and high beams are H7. On the outside of the headlamp assembly, there should be two connectors. One for the high and one for the low. Look for the low one, unplug it and see if it will directly plug into your ballast. Then hook up your xenon bulb to the ballast. Light that puppy up and see if it works.

Then turn on your engine and then turn on your lights. If it flickers, then you will need to hook up a capacitor to each wire before it goes into your ballast.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
Breyton-BMW

He has a 99-01 model car I believe. My fixes will work for him.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #18
Breyton-BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_O1 View Post
sdbimmer : the only H7 bulbs I have are in my high beam sockets, are those the H7 connectors you are referring to?

On the stock housings, both High and low have H7's.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #19
sdbimmer

yeah, but I think he's having issues with the install right now.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #20
Breyton-BMW

I don't understand it. It's really just plug and play.

OP, does your kit come with dde's or angel eyes?