E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
baggedlvintegra

My Ride: 00 323ci
DIY Tiag Silver Kidney Grills

Wanting that look of the painted kidneys, but dont want to fork over $100+? Here is your solution.....

Materials needed:
Of course a set of kidney grills (search for kidney removal if your unsure how to take them apart)
1 Aerosol can of BULLDOG ADHESION PROMOTER-$6 @ WalMart
1 Can White Primer (Your Choice)-$1 @ WalMart
1 Can Flat Black Paint (Your Choice)-$1 @ WalMart
1 Can Duplicolor "Auto Spray" color name Silver Metallic #DSGM340-$5 Oreillys
1 Can Duplicolor "Truck, Van, & SUV" Clear Top Coat #T125-$5 Oreillys

So all in all you spend a total of $20 tops. Hows that for savings!

Before most flame on the $1 WalMart paint, primer/color in this case is irrelevant, the Bulldog is by far capable of producing the adhesion we need to make it stick to plastic, and if you read on the the Bulldog can it says you dont even need to primer if no body work was done, in which our case we didnt. Prep and Clear are the main point of success for this so dont go cheap in these areas, get the Bulldog, and the good Duplicolor clear, other than that get watever you feel is necessary.

Procedure :

Step 1 : remove the kidneys from the car, wash THOROUGHLY with hot/soapy water, as hot as you can stand on your hands, plastics chemical make up allows dirt particles to cling to its surface, my cleaning with super hot water it penetrates the surface better and allows for better adhesion of the bulldog (I do some body work as well and have done extensive research on this since I do alot of plastic bumper/lip kits and stuff, and this is the best method by far for adhesion on plastic) anyways so clean in all the grooves, and then rinse thoroughly! With this method you dont even have to scuff the surface for adhesion since its already smooth. If your have alot of rock chips and it bother you, you can putty the holes and sand them smooth for the perfect finish, but I only had minor ones so I didnt bother.

Step 2 : Dry completely, make sure no residue, finger prints, or water is left on the surface.

Step 3 : Lay out your parts on a table or something in a well ventilated area.

Step 4 : Begin to lay light coats of the bulldog adhesion promoter, remember always when dealing with paint, do several light coats versus one thick one, this stuff will run!!! I did 3 light coats of the bulldog, letting it dry by the can instructions. It will appear milky at first but will be clear once its fully dried.

Step 5 : I began with the outer grills first since that process takes longer. Go ahead and apply 2 light coats of the white primer, all we are looking for here is full coverage, nothing excessive. I chose white primer because last time I chose grey primer the color on my reflectors seemed a little bit darker than my oem tiag paint, so by lightening the base coat, it lightened up the final finish and matches perfect! (see end results) While letting the coats of primer dry, move over to the "slats" part of the grill and begin applying the flat black paint, again light coats. What I did was for every coat I put on the outer, I did a coat on the slats, that way the black on the slats was nice and durable since I wouldnt be clear coating it for protection.

Step 6 : After primer is dry, begin applying the silver base. Again 3 light coats should do the trick, just make sure you have complete coverage. Again I did a coat of flat black on the slats for each coat I did on the outers.

Step 7 (almost done) : After the silver has dried, begin applying the clear. Be very careful with this as its easy to run since its of course clear and you dont see it being applied as easy as colors do. I used 3 moderate coats to make sure it was protected very well!

Step 8 (reassembly) : Wait for all parts to dry completely, and then put the outer and inner grills back together.

Now slide them back into your hood and enjoy!!!!!!!!

baggedlvintegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
sadkorean34

My Ride: 03 Ci
very nice.

03' OB Ci
sadkorean34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
flashtoflight
Banned

My Ride: FS: 01' 330ci 5spd
Send a message via AIM to flashtoflight Send a message via Yahoo to flashtoflight
great diy... thanks for sharing

walmart ftw
flashtoflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
Autobot325i

My Ride: 2003 325i E46
Send a message via AIM to Autobot325i
you need a new badge
Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Very cool DIY, I'm wondering how clear coat will last after few washes and wax
Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Cheezemurda

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Man that actually came out good. I know pictures can be deceiving but man its pretty much a perfect match. Whats next painted moldings?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #7
baggedlvintegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot325i View Post
you need a new badge
haha yeah I know, I should have photoshoped that out of the pic, for some reason I came outside one morning to go to work and just the little plastic part blew off the chrome part of the roundel, so i glued it back on for the time being but it didnt last lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezemurda View Post
Man that actually came out good. I know pictures can be deceiving but man its pretty much a perfect match. Whats next painted moldings?
I got a coupe, my moldings are already painted
Old 02-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #8
coolusername

My Ride: F30 335xi
Looks great.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:02 AM   #9
Mautofied

My Ride: 02 BMW 325Ci
looks good!
Old 02-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
BearMW

My Ride: makes my ears bleed
wow this looks really good! Why didn't you sand the grills down before you started painting them? Just a question in curiosity.
BearMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #11
silentak1
Banned

My Ride: '03 330ci cabrio
Wow, that looks professional. I will consider this mod! Thanks for all the references to the paint cans, definitely helps.
silentak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #12
adoxtater

My Ride: Silver 2003 BMW 325i
Dude that looks AWESOME! I am colorblind so am not sure if your color is the same as mine, but it looks close. I believe mine is Titanium Silver. Will this match mine as well? (you can see my car in my "garage" if you want). That just looks too good to NOT do
adoxtater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #13
baggedlvintegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMW View Post
wow this looks really good! Why didn't you sand the grills down before you started painting them? Just a question in curiosity.
because I didnt want to get back out and get sandpaper my grills werent in bad shape, they only had those 2 larger rock chips (which is y u asked me probly cuz they stick out a little) and plus with the adhesion promoter you dont have to sand it, you can just scuff it up a little
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentak1 View Post
Wow, that looks professional. I will consider this mod! Thanks for all the references to the paint cans, definitely helps.
thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxtater View Post
Dude that looks AWESOME! I am colorblind so am not sure if your color is the same as mine, but it looks close. I believe mine is Titanium Silver. Will this match mine as well? (you can see my car in my "garage" if you want). That just looks too good to NOT do
yup it will match yours, ours are both ti silver
Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 PM   #14
adoxtater

My Ride: Silver 2003 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra View Post
yup it will match yours, ours are both ti silver
Awesome! Thanks for the great tutorial! This actually looks like something I can do, so many MANY thanks to you for this!
adoxtater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #15
Mephistophilis

My Ride: 01 325 Cic
looks really good... congrats on the DIY.
Mephistophilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #16
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Hows the paint holding? Since I painted my side moldings and after a month paint started to come off, I'm afraid to do it again
Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #17
BimmerZealot

My Ride: N/A
Nice job, you dont choose to sand before applying primer / bulldog? Or is that the point of the bulldog? I've never heard/used the stuff, but if it gets rid of the sanding step I'm all ears.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:03 AM   #18
Kmoy2002

My Ride: 2002tii, 540i, 330i
Looks good...i've purchased countless cans of that paint in order to find the perfect match for silver gray

no luck yet
Old 03-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #19
nav2000

My Ride: Silber Stalion
great post, quick question about your corners, did you purchase them with the inside trim ti silver or did you have them baked and painted to match ?.. it looks great i would love to do that as well
nav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #20
baggedlvintegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBmrDude View Post
Hows the paint holding? Since I painted my side moldings and after a month paint started to come off, I'm afraid to do it again
still looks like the day I did it, holding up great will post new pics here in a few for reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
Nice job, you dont choose to sand before applying primer / bulldog? Or is that the point of the bulldog? I've never heard/used the stuff, but if it gets rid of the sanding step I'm all ears.
yeah thats the purpose of the bulldog, its an awesome product and works awesome! but as stated above if u have rock chips and stuff u might want to sand them out so they dont show up in the paint but it didnt bother me so I didnt
Quote:
Originally Posted by nav2000 View Post
great post, quick question about your corners, did you purchase them with the inside trim ti silver or did you have them baked and painted to match ?.. it looks great i would love to do that as well
i made them...started with ebay corners, baked them, took them apart, paint matched them, resealed and installed