E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2003, 12:11 PM   #21
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
It is my understanding

that throttle adaptation works almost like the short and long term trim adjustments. You have some level of base maps and as you drive under low throttle or hard throttle it will update either or and use a variant of the two numbers to determine current throttle response. Obviously the more you drive under low throttle, the more it will adapt to providing lower throttle response. The problem with this equation is that adaptation isn't instantly and may occur over hundred if not thousands of miles depending on driving style.

Personally I have a 20 mile commute and part of the distance I'm driving slow with the wife and kids and the other half I let loose. So that goes with saying that my throttle response if not very good. Once I reset the adaptation, it seems like within 20 miles or so of "spirited driving" performance was even better. I'd say a once a week or week and a half reset is in order unless I've been doing quite a bit of foot mashing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Atlas
It's just throttle response... and i imagine if u drive with a heavy foot it would adapt as such...no need to do it every morning lol...
KevinJ_2k1_325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 12:38 PM   #22
e46craze
Euro.Techniks

My Ride: ESS TS2 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to e46craze
thanks for the info.....going to go and try it out now!

|ESS TS2|Bimmerbrakes Powdercoated Headers|MB Quart|Memphis|3.46 DIFF
//M3 Control Arms|Orion V2 LED|6K D2S|8K Fogs|//M3 Shift Knob|Eurospec Hamann Front Lip|OEM Cross Drilled Rotors|UUC Stage 3 Clutch/Flywheel|Black Roof|VMR 710s|Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec|Hotchkis Front Sway
FULL I.C.E FOR SALE - PM ME FOR DETAILS (Only Serious Buyers Only)
e46craze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 06:25 PM   #23
ngl1145

My Ride: 2008 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to ngl1145
I tried it with my 99 323i auto but didn't hear any beeping sounds or indicators

Hey guys.. I tried it with my 99 323i automatics but did not hear a beep. I tried the 1) turn the engine to the "on" position then pressed on the pedal to the floor 4 times. Does this flood your engine with fuel though?? The car did seem like it pulled harder.. but I thought it could be psychological. Anyone else try this with a pre-2000 model?
ngl1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 06:31 PM   #24
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
u deserve a m3 kevin man... if i had 4 i'd guve u one
good stuff... i havent tried.. but what if its all in ur heads peeps

"I never met a girl that make me feel like you do,..you're alright...Whenever I'm asked who makes my dreams real, I say that you do, you're alright..
Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true..Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true.."

Bimmerfest BBQ 2014
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 06:38 PM   #25
digitalgm
Banned

My Ride: '02 M3 & '65 Stang
Send a message via AIM to digitalgm
Anyone know if this works on an M3? I commute stop and go every day and I had noticed a BIG drop in performance and acceleration ... I will try this when I get my car back if it works.

AdamR
digitalgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 06:49 PM   #26
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

I'm all for that man. thanks

Yes give me a M3! Come on I know there's someone who has to much money and just want to give away their old M3 for a new one. PM me! or PM me and I will give you my paypal email to wire the money for me to buy a new one. It's what only $56k? That shouldn't be alot for you rich dudes.

Remember this is the real deal reset procedure from BMW! I will post the actual document later. It definitely isn't in my head. The reason I know is my little 18 month old girl in her car seat in the back When I had my MAF screens off and accelerated, she would say wwwwwhhhhhhhhoooooooeeeeee. I put them back on. nothing. Throttle adaptation reset, and she goes wwwwwhhhhhhhhoooooooeeeee! That's validation enough for me! (no I'm not really going fast, just accelerating through a light :smile

Quote:
Originally posted by MachRc
u deserve a m3 kevin man... if i had 4 i'd guve u one
good stuff... i havent tried.. but what if its all in ur heads peeps
Old 01-14-2003, 07:01 PM   #27
x-reality

My Ride: SSII E90 M3
fun tip! After i press the return key im running to my car and trying it.
AA Software || AA High Flow Race Cats || AA X-Pipe & Connecting Pipes || Eisenmann Race Exhaust || AA Pulleys || AFE Oiled Air Filter || UUC SSK || 360 Forged Spec-5 20's || RD Springs|| VRS CF Boot Lid || Lumina Eye Lids || CF BMW Emblem || Matte BMW Grill || Matte BMW Fender Vents || 7000K Headlight bulbs || LED Interior Bulbs || 20% tint all around || Rear Fog Light Mod || LED Rear Turn Signals
x-reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 07:39 PM   #28
x-reality

My Ride: SSII E90 M3
Just got back...It felt it pulled much harder throughout the gears!! Watch me do this at each stop light :-P Haha
AA Software || AA High Flow Race Cats || AA X-Pipe & Connecting Pipes || Eisenmann Race Exhaust || AA Pulleys || AFE Oiled Air Filter || UUC SSK || 360 Forged Spec-5 20's || RD Springs|| VRS CF Boot Lid || Lumina Eye Lids || CF BMW Emblem || Matte BMW Grill || Matte BMW Fender Vents || 7000K Headlight bulbs || LED Interior Bulbs || 20% tint all around || Rear Fog Light Mod || LED Rear Turn Signals
x-reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:13 PM   #29
Jano

My Ride: 2001 330i
I don't understand exactly what you guys are doing. Ignition on, off for 10 secs, then start the car, I get it, but then what? Drive fast? foot to the floor? maintain high rpm? for how long? I'd be stunned if it adapts to 5 minutes of driving. How long did you drive to notice a difference? I'm very confused.
Jano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:17 PM   #30
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
i just did it. i think it's more responsive.. but i'm not sure if it's all in my head or not.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:28 PM   #31
valerie
M-Tech Originator

My Ride: BMWs
Re: Re: Re: Does it work in 5spd?

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinJ_2k1_325ci
THis should work on all cars with electronic throttle control meaning some later 323 and 328's as well as all 325 and 330's.

I believe 323/328's that were built 10/00-12/00 will have electronic throttle control or what is called "throttle by wire". It is with this new electronic throttle that these 323/328's got the new mototronics that this will work with.

For the old models meaning prior to 10/00, I've been told that you can try turning your ingnition to the on position (not started) and press the gas peddle all the way to the floor 4 times, then you will hear a beep or something and that tells you it worked.

Hmm - my 00 328ci was built after 10/00 but it is mechanical throttle, not drive by wire. It was my understanding that it wasnt put on any 3ers until the 01 model year

I think some people are confusing the adaptive step software and the adaptive throttle in drive by wire. I can't explain the difference except that fact that per the BMW info my car with out drive by wire has the adaptive step listed. I do have the Dinan tranny software which over years has not been adapted away but i do not think the adaption is removed, just adjusted. Also, it definately does other thing beyond the improved responsiveness - such as changing the way the step works for me (goes to first at stops, etc)

valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:56 PM   #32
ngl1145

My Ride: 2008 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to ngl1145
I went out again....

I had to go out again and try it... I do feel like my car is going faster. Even if it really isn't.. my mind is playing good tricks..
ngl1145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:24 PM   #33
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does it work in 5spd?

Valerie,

In fact some 323's and 328's do have throttle by wire that were build at the end of the production cycle. This information is according to BMW not me and is referenced in thier technical information cd's. In addition, this production run converted to the new engine management with a 16 pin OBDII port instead of the older 20 pin DLC port.

Yes there is a difference between throttle adaptation and adaptive steptronic transmission. The procedure outline for resetting electronic adaptive throttle in no way resets the adaptive transmission software unless there is some easter egg proceedure like hold the brake and fart. If people are confused about throttle control versus transmission, then they probably should ignore this thread and keep driving. We are talking apples and oranges (throttle vs. transmission).

Quote:
Originally posted by valerie

Hmm - my 00 328ci was built after 10/00 but it is mechanical throttle, not drive by wire. It was my understanding that it wasnt put on any 3ers until the 01 model year

I think some people are confusing the adaptive step software and the adaptive throttle in drive by wire. I can't explain the difference except that fact that per the BMW info my car with out drive by wire has the adaptive step listed. I do have the Dinan tranny software which over years has not been adapted away but i do not think the adaption is removed, just adjusted. Also, it definately does other thing beyond the improved responsiveness - such as changing the way the step works for me (goes to first at stops, etc)

Last edited by KevinJ_2k1_325ci; 01-14-2003 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2003, 09:30 PM   #34
Atlas

My Ride: 320i
Send a message via ICQ to Atlas
As far as i'm aware...your car won't 'pull harder'.... it will just increase throttle response if u drive slowly quite often.... ie. it will give u more power for less throttle travel; u slightly press the pedal and it'll give u more power. But if u floor it - same amount of power regardless of reset or not.
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 12:19 AM   #35
valerie
M-Tech Originator

My Ride: BMWs
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Does it work in 5spd?

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinJ_2k1_325ci
Valerie,

In fact some 323's and 328's do have throttle by wire that were build at the end of the production cycle. This information is according to BMW not me and is referenced in thier technical information cd's. In addition, this production run converted to the new engine management with a 16 pin OBDII port instead of the older 20 pin DLC port.

Yes there is a difference between throttle adaptation and adaptive steptronic transmission. The procedure outline for resetting electronic adaptive throttle in no way resets the adaptive transmission software unless there is some easter egg proceedure like hold the brake and fart. If people are confused about throttle control versus transmission, then they probably should ignore this thread and keep driving. We are talking apples and oranges (throttle vs. transmission).

guess non of this applies to me then - the mechanical throttle is , no excessive travel, no need to reset

valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:54 AM   #36
dennisf

My Ride: BMW 330Cic
Quote:
Originally posted by Atlas
As far as i'm aware...your car won't 'pull harder'.... it will just increase throttle response if u drive slowly quite often.... ie. it will give u more power for less throttle travel; u slightly press the pedal and it'll give u more power. But if u floor it - same amount of power regardless of reset or not.
I agree. That's the feeling I have to. If I slightly press the pedal the rpm rises faster and higher. In other words little throttle travel does more. When I floor it the car feels the same. It's a bit the same as an X5. That car reacts aggressive to a slight press on the pedal. If i compare an X5 4.4 with my dads ML500 the ML has more power but doesn't feel faster because you have to press the pedal hard to make it go faster..
Old 01-15-2003, 03:05 AM   #37
sense
Git

My Ride: '02 318i
i did it this morning, this is a great tip! the car certainly seems more responsive.
sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 03:28 AM   #38
Atlas

My Ride: 320i
Send a message via ICQ to Atlas
Actually kinda annoys me....having it so responsive on such short travel....cos when u get to the middle there's like no difference lol...
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:40 AM   #39
tarkan

My Ride: 330Ci Topaz SSG
How does all this effect cars with Sport button?

I would assume the sport button changes the throttle adaptation map?

regards,
Tarkan
Old 01-15-2003, 07:11 AM   #40
HYPER330Ci

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to HYPER330Ci
Exclamation Quick Question

When you say turn to the on postion, do you mean the second click for the accessories, where all the lighst on the dash come up, or the first click to where the ignition is on?