E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 4.54 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2003, 07:40 PM   #61
Atlas

My Ride: 320i
Send a message via ICQ to Atlas
nope.... not that i'm aware of...
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:22 PM   #62
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
You should check with your Dinan dealer but this should not at all affect your Dinan.

The adaptive values are well adaptive. There is nothing Dinan can do but set their software to give you higher than normal adaptive values which are held in temp memory. You are essentially clearing this temp memory and starting over. I believe someone here said it was a benefit to reset the adaptation with the Dinan software. Dinan has to leave room for the ECU to still do it's thing so adaptation isn't just turned off with Dinan.

Quote:
Originally posted by TX330ci
if i have the dinan engine software when i do this it will not reset my ecu to stock and disable the dinan correct?
KevinJ_2k1_325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 08:23 PM   #63
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

Yeah I found that last night but went to bed. I found the oil reset procedures to.

The oil reset procedure is done with the cluster gauge and no longer with a tool. Useful when your out of warranty to remind you to change the oil. I will post in a seperate thread somewhere.

Quote:
Originally posted by Batm4n
I ran into this site with reset info for the older cars (328's and 323's)

SOLUTION:
(If any of the faults listed are set) Using a breakout box check for an open or short to ground in the wiring from the DME to the MDK. If the wiring is intact then replace the MDK, then the adaptation values in the DME must be
cleared. Failure to do this will result in reoccurring faults. Switch the ignition off for 30 seconds. Turn on the ignition and delete the DME adaptations and the fault code
memory Press the accelerator pedal to wide open throttle(WOT)4 times

That's how they state to reset the adaption.

You can find the URL below with DME info and the reset procedures. I just happened along this since my 330 had to have the throttle replaced and adaption reset by the dealer.

The car pulls a lot different. Much like turbo lag on a forced induction car.

I guess my old throttle body was really hosed.

http://www.bba-reman.com/bmwfaults.htm
Old 01-21-2003, 09:12 PM   #64
ngl1145

My Ride: 2008 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to ngl1145
Question What is a breakout box?

Do you know what a breakout box is?
Old 01-21-2003, 09:56 PM   #65
smg

My Ride: is dirty
Man O Man I'm glad you posted that info, I was able to reset the DME fault from the lack of CATs and CAN bus fault from the trans, how long it will last is beyond me but the new found torque from off idle is very impressive

In my particular case I removed the CATs since I have headers, i have since pulled out the two post O2 sensors -reading ambient air near exhaust-. the big problem was the step tranny CAN torque interface, BMW had no clue as to the problem and GM was not going to help becouse the car is not factory original this reset has temporarally I assume fixed it, at least the bog off idle is gone- as a side note I drive very aggressive not towards other drivers mind you but I do push the limits of the car as needed. hence the need for two sets of rotors and 5 sets of carbon metalic pads in less than 36k miles ohh and three sets of tires
smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 09:58 PM   #66
smg

My Ride: is dirty
the dealer is looking into the problem of having to replace the DME twice now, it has been about a 1yr since the last replacement.
smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 12:04 AM   #67
mattman

My Ride: 2010 Nissan
Adaptive Throttle response seems stupid.. Why does the car need to do this?

We all have a natural adaptive throttle response, our brain and our foot. We should be able to adjust the throttle based on our direct inputs. The car should be at FULL MAX available power when we need it. If I wanted to go slow or preserve gas, I'd let up on the throttle and not floor it.

It seems like the reset is doing just this. Making our cars respond to the max potential and letting us control the throttling.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:03 PM   #68
Batm4n

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Adaptive throttle is similar to the delay in braking. If they made it that as soon as you touch your brake your car would stop immediately, you'd have lots of people with their heads stuck in the dash and whiplash.

The adaptiveness provides for smoother input.
Batm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:09 PM   #69
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

Adaptation.

Throttle adaptation is designed to provide smoother engine response and better fuel economy under certain driving conditions. It also allows you to obtain full power when necessary. The problem is that it allows you full power after a brief delay! Even when you press the gas into kick-down (peddle to the floor) there still is a brief delay then it kicks into full wide open throttle.

With step owners, transmission adaptation comes into play as well just to annoy us even more. So what do I have in front of me right now?

The lastest BMW sponsered survey from Market Facts Motoresearch where I plan to blast BMW for this. At least they could have given us a damn option to turn this crap off. It looks like they did wise up for the Z4 and give it a sport button.

Quote:
Originally posted by mattman
Adaptive Throttle response seems stupid.. Why does the car need to do this?

We all have a natural adaptive throttle response, our brain and our foot. We should be able to adjust the throttle based on our direct inputs. The car should be at FULL MAX available power when we need it. If I wanted to go slow or preserve gas, I'd let up on the throttle and not floor it.

It seems like the reset is doing just this. Making our cars respond to the max potential and letting us control the throttling.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:16 PM   #70
Azn328i

My Ride: e39 M5
Send a message via AIM to Azn328i
Quote:
Originally posted by Batm4n
I ran into this site with reset info for the older cars (328's and 323's)

SOLUTION:
(If any of the faults listed are set) Using a breakout box check for an open or short to ground in the wiring from the DME to the MDK. If the wiring is intact then replace the MDK, then the adaptation values in the DME must be
cleared. Failure to do this will result in reoccurring faults. Switch the ignition off for 30 seconds. Turn on the ignition and delete the DME adaptations and the fault code
memory Press the accelerator pedal to wide open throttle(WOT)4 times

That's how they state to reset the adaption.

You can find the URL below with DME info and the reset procedures. I just happened along this since my 330 had to have the throttle replaced and adaption reset by the dealer.

The car pulls a lot different. Much like turbo lag on a forced induction car.

I guess my old throttle body was really hosed.

http://www.bba-reman.com/bmwfaults.htm
let me get this straight.... all i have to do to reset my 328 is.... turn the ignition to on press the accelerator pedal to WOT 4 times? do i need to start the car IMMEDIATELY after? and will there be any indication besides the buttdyno that will tell me it worked?

thanks...
Azn328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:24 PM   #71
Batm4n

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
I'm not sure what's involved in deleting the fault code/memory for 328's. it's worth a shot. It may work if you don't have fault codes stored.

As for throttle adaption. You could also perform somethign similar with old Throttle cable throttle bodies.

It simply involved loosing the cable and adjusting the cable slack and you could increase response with those throttle bodies.

The only thing you had to worry about was not overly pulling the cable to the point where you left the throttle body partially open
Batm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 02:38 AM   #72
Atlas

Re: Adaptation.

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinJ_2k1_325ci
The lastest BMW sponsered survey from Market Facts Motoresearch where I plan to blast BMW for this. At least they could have given us a damn option to turn this crap off. It looks like they did wise up for the Z4 and give it a sport button.
I think someone on here with a 330 was saying they had a sport button...
Old 01-23-2003, 07:31 AM   #73
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

VinceTopaz325i posted a message with a pic of a SSG stick and sport button.

The new 330i performance package will have a sport button. Vince may be trying to retro-fit the SSG one and took offence that I was asking how he was coming along as I was looking into the sport button retro-fit from the Z4. Some maybe he is doing some type of CUSTOM circuit board to replace what BMW already provides.

If someone knows a BMW tech, please ask them for wiring diagrams and part numbers for the Z4 sport button and post the diagram pics and part numbers. The Z4 uses the same transmission and same base ECU. However the ECU code may be different but I believe the override functions are already there in the sport button and not the ECU. We just need to know how to wiring it. If I get additional information I will share with the group.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:51 PM   #74
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

Hmm I smell burnt rubber.

A while ago a did a battery reset which seemed to help with adaptation. Well I did a battery reset and a throttle adaptation reset afterward. I felt the gas peddle had alot more resistance than before. Also the car seemed to slightly pull harder than before with just a throttle adaptation reset. I was told that pulling the negative battery resets the tranny adaptation.

Let me first say I have a stock 325ci steptronic. Today from a standstill at a light with DSC off and torque braking my step to 1500 RPM's the rubber was burning baby. There was a pull to the right in the rear about 10 inches or so and I let off the gas. I was like ok must be a fluke. Next I tried this while waiting to make a left turn..... I must say the next time I won't do this again with DSC off which is stupid. Well I tried to gun it again at 1200 RPM and blow through the turn to avoid on-coming traffic. It was the most rubber I've burned outside of the snow storm we had in the area except the ground is dry. I was at a complete standstill for about 2 seconds while the rubber burned and I slowly moved through the light spinning all the way untill the wheels finally caught two-thirds of the way through. The good thing is that I had the forethought to wait until a group of cars passed to get a bigger opening. Otherwise I would be posting pics of my car in pieces. The second group of cars came close but I made it though the light. Now one thing to note though, it is like 20 degrees outside so It could just be the cold pavement and tires but since doing the adaptation resets I've never had my DSC activate so many times!

So all that to say, leave your DSC on! Also if you want to try, pull your negative battery cable for 20 seconds and then do the throttle reset.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:35 AM   #75
Atlas

lol u should find an empty car park or something.... or just floor it in a u-turn.... quite of the fun variety Even in my 320 ahha...
Old 01-25-2003, 09:37 PM   #76
masstar

My Ride: '02 325ci
Awesome tip kevin! Car feels much more agressive. Felt it instantly. You the MAN!
Old 01-31-2003, 07:47 PM   #77
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

bump

In case some of you foo's missed this post.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:54 PM   #78
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
Re: bump

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinJ_2k1_325ci
In case some of you foo's missed this post.
^ what he said
Old 03-28-2003, 08:44 AM   #79
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

More observations on throttle adaptation reset.

For those just jumping into this thing and reading this, the adaptation reset proceedure timing must be as precise as possible. I was off by a second or so on the 10 count and the reset did not occur.

A observation I had since I just performed another reset yesterday is that as I indicated before, the reset mildly takes effect and then as you drive more aggressive, the performance increases greatly to the point where I want my car to perform like this all the time. Basically after a couple of hours of driving the performance increases futher after resetting. The only problem is that in stop and go traffic, the performance degrades over a several week period. But the good news is that you just reset the adaptation again. It would be nice to just press a button and reset it.

Also so some 323 and 328 owners are not confused, the title of this thread is "Electronic Throttle.....". Early 323's and 328's do not have a electronic throttle but a mechanical one. Only those 323 and 328 cars produced after 10/00 have a electronic throttle like the 325 and 330's.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:37 AM   #80
Paul330ci

My Ride: 2001 330ci
How does this affect the Dinan S2 download. Will this reset mess it up.
Paul330ci is offline   Reply With Quote