E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
cdkon

My Ride: 330 Ci
Door Handle Fix - Outside no open only

Hi everyone, thought I would give back as I am new around here but have found some good info. After having my passenger door become unopenable from THE OUTSIDE only, I found quite a bit of conflicting info and confusion regarding this issue on various forums. It seems that there are a few different things that can happen that people are mixing up the causes and solutions for. These are:
-Door becomes HARD to open: This requires an adjustment on the outside of the door
-Door won't open period: Not sure what the solution here is
-Door won't open from outside handle only and feels like there is no resistance, i.e. something broke. This is the one I am giving cheap and easy fix to here. You will not require any new parts other than a 50 lb./11 inch zip tie. This problem occurs when someone pulls too hard on the handle, particularly if the door is still locked.

In this instance the clip has broken that holds the cable tight to the carrier assembly. It didnt appear to me like the clip was replacable because the plastic piece I found had broken completely off, plus even if you did replace it, it appears to be a weak link that break again anyway. It takes a little work but eventually you can get the cable guide lined up with a screwdriver and squeeze a finger back there to push it into the guide (if it has come all the way out, if not, even easier for you). Second, use a long zip tie and guide it behind the carrier as shown. Once the cable is pulled tight to the carrier, it won't be able to swing out away from the carrier and give you that loose, broken feeling. Snip the left over zip tie, put everything back together and you are good as new. If you were to buy a new carrier assembly, you will see that they now factory install a zip tie in the exact same way, because they expect for the clip to break.

Chris
2001 330Ci
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg
Views:	3089
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	260225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.jpg
Views:	5521
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	260230  
cdkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
nosispower

My Ride: 2002 330i
Huh...seems like zip ties are the answer to everything on the E46...

nosispower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
For more reading on this problem, click below. I fixed mine with a ziptie as well, although I put the ziptie in a different location. It doesn't matter, as long as you get the clip in the proper slot and the cable is secured to the handle.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=door+handle
Old 02-21-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
zerogravityE46

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325CI
oh yes, problem solved! some one with the right answer! truing my best to describe the issue i had, that no one could help me!

thank you! though i have not tried it yet, this weekend will be a good project!
zerogravityE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
cjet68

My Ride: 2005 M3 silvergray
Thumbs Up Thanks!

I fixed my broken passenger side door handle yesterday. Took about three hours and my only advice is go slow. Otherwise it is a relatively easy job, just time consuming. Thanks for the pictures and description.
cjet68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
zerogravityE46

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325CI
just got done with mine today, take your time, follow the instructions, and zip tie! took me awhile how to pop out the door panal, less 10 mins out, zip tied it within 30 mintues, test it, and popped with door panal back on and just about over an hour of DIY work!
zerogravityE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
I///Mraspy

My Ride: 2001 M3 - Steel Grey
Send a message via Yahoo to I///Mraspy
I've tried this and I think my hands are too big because I can't even get it close to the carrier housing.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
cjet68

My Ride: 2005 M3 silvergray
try

I think you can remove the door handle and make the fix from there.
cjet68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
I///Mraspy

Really is there a DIY with pics? I'd really like to get my car back together. lol.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
When my car was a year or two old this happened to me.

The dealer said they fixed my car with zip ties and I thought they were crazy but I see what is happening.

I'm still left with a different issue, the door closed with a "clank" on the drivers side and smoothly closes on the passenger. I haven't been able to adjust the hook to get it to sound right.

Also my widow itself wobbles, they replaced the regulator but the window still wobbles back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkon View Post
Hi everyone, thought I would give back as I am new around here but have found some good info. After having my passenger door become unopenable from THE OUTSIDE only, I found quite a bit of conflicting info and confusion regarding this issue on various forums. It seems that there are a few different things that can happen that people are mixing up the causes and solutions for. These are:
-Door becomes HARD to open: This requires an adjustment on the outside of the door
-Door won't open from outside handle only and feels like there is no resistance, i.e. something broke. This is the one I am giving cheap and easy fix to here. You will not require any new parts other than a 50 lb./11 inch zip tie. This problem occurs when someone pulls too hard on the handle, particularly if the door is still locked.

In this instance the clip has broken that holds the cable tight to the carrier assembly. It didnt appear to me like the clip was replacable because the plastic piece I found had broken completely off, plus even if you did replace it, it appears to be a weak link that break again anyway. It takes a little work but eventually you can get the cable guide lined up with a screwdriver and squeeze a finger back there to push it into the guide (if it has come all the way out, if not, even easier for you). Second, use a long zip tie and guide it behind the carrier as shown. Once the cable is pulled tight to the carrier, it won't be able to swing out away from the carrier and give you that loose, broken feeling. Snip the left over zip tie, put everything back together and you are good as new. If you were to buy a new carrier assembly, you will see that they now factory install a zip tie in the exact same way, because they expect for the clip to break.

Chris
2001 330Ci
KevinJ_2k1_325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
randyman

My Ride: 325CI
Great DIY. I just paid a mechanic $200 to fix passenger side, then the driver side broke. Took me about an hour and cost $.25. THanks everybody for the great tips.
randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 AM   #12
premiumg

My Ride: 2004 ///M2.5 (330CI)
Send a message via AIM to premiumg
For those of you that did this fix, should I roll up or down the window before taking off the window panel?

Anyone that did this fix in SoCal??? Maybe a 12 pack???
- predator chromiums
- 19' BBS CH

Check out the new LeBron James documentary:
MoreThanAGameMovie.com
premiumg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #13
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by premiumg View Post
For those of you that did this fix, should I roll up or down the window before taking off the window panel?

Anyone that did this fix in SoCal??? Maybe a 12 pack???
You don't need to take the window out.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #14
premiumg

My Ride: 2004 ///M2.5 (330CI)
Send a message via AIM to premiumg
Should I roll the window up or down?
- predator chromiums
- 19' BBS CH

Check out the new LeBron James documentary:
MoreThanAGameMovie.com
premiumg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #15
I///Mraspy

Definitely up. I finally got this fixed this past weekend but then ran into another problem. The door opened and closed multiple times but then I closed the door, went to the grocery store and my passenger couldn't open the door from the inside or out. Door still has tention but now just won't open. If you pull the inside handle while locked the door lock pops up as normal but nothing. Can't open the door. Any way to get the door open?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #16
tata961

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
Well, I've taken my door panel off, but I do not see the actual cable. I noticed the cable which connects the INSIDE door handle to the mechanism, but not the OUTSIDE one. I looked at the exact spot as shown in the pic, and cannot even find the carrier! Also, the cable is supposed to lead from the carrier to where exactly?
tata961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #17
llwind

My Ride: 325CiC
You have to look really hard. It took me at least 30 minutes to figure out an angle to put lights in and look from underneath, you almost have to lay on the ground. But once you got a good look at it, and put your hand in there to pull the cable out. It will be easier. The biggest hurdle from me is the cable got jamed by the window panel once the window is all the way up and you can't see the cable. So have someone else help to roll down the window a tiny bit at a time, so you can still get to the cable while it's not jammed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tata961 View Post
Well, I've taken my door panel off, but I do not see the actual cable. I noticed the cable which connects the INSIDE door handle to the mechanism, but not the OUTSIDE one. I looked at the exact spot as shown in the pic, and cannot even find the carrier! Also, the cable is supposed to lead from the carrier to where exactly?
llwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #18
llwind

My Ride: 325CiC
Thanks a lot. I got it fixed yesterady. The hardest part is tiny space and no light. Very tricky to put a hand in even I had a smaller hand. I was sitting there and fumbling like a blind.

It gets tricky for me that cable got jammed up by the window, so I cannot pull it down and roll down window will block access, so finally got just enough clearance to pull the cable free.

After I got the cable down, tie a zip losly first so it's eaier to line up the cable back to the slot. Finally I tied up two ziptie. Hope it wont broke again. Don't want to repeat this job for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkon View Post

Chris
2001 330Ci
llwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
marco-b

My Ride: 328CI
I have a E46 328CI with this problem. I spent several very frustating hours trying to fix it today. I cannot find this cable anywhere. If one end goes into the door handle mechanism where does the other end go ?

I have the cable going from the inside door release - the white one in cdkons' picture. It goes down to a black box just about where the bottom of the torch is in the photograph.

I can't see anything that looks like the part in 325seeeyes' link.

Help !
marco-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #20
tj330

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330Ci 5sp
I'll be attempting this fix on my passenger door shortly... I'll try to get a pic or two if possible.