E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
martinarcher

My Ride: 02 330xi
Rebuilding a Smog/Air Pump

Hey all. Hoping someone might be able to help me out with my recent project. I got the dreaded check engine code and am headed down the bad smog pump road.

I pulled the pump and plugged my hoses for the meantime, but before I buy a pump I figured I'd try to rebuild the current one. The motor is the culpit. Looks like the brushes are shot after inspecting them through the can. No response at all from the motor when applying 12VDC to the contacts.

Tonight I carefully pulled the pump housing apart and removed the motor. I did some online searching using the markings on the motor (looking for replacement motor or a brush kit) and came up with nothing. Anyone have any idea where you could pick up a motor for this thing?

Thanks!

-Philippians 4:19
martinarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
sethcool

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Did you have any luck finding a new motor? I'm working on the same project, I have the housing half-way apart. I'm having trouble getting the fan off the motor/getting the motor out.
sethcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
BobbyC

My Ride: 2000 328I
Take it to a RC Hobby shop. The motor end bell looks like a closed design, however some of the old school guys still run brushed motors and they might be able to find you some brushes and true the comm for you.
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Mango

My Ride: M54B30
There's already about 13 threads on this in the past week alone. Search.

Some say his tires are green. Some say he once went 230k miles without a single oil change. All I know is: he's called The DMAX.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
There's already about 13 threads on this in the past week alone. Search.

Some say his tires are green. Some say he once went 230k miles without a single oil change. All I know is: he's called The DMAX.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#electric-motors/=h1ul9w

Please, OP, let me know what you figure out...and hth.

Mango...some say my tires are green because they believe what I say. Those who've said my car could go 230K without changing oil are just hoping that there is a magically E46...there might be, but it ain't mine.

I change oil every 100K with my plugs just like it says in the Owner's Manual!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
steelheaderfishing

My Ride: 23i 25i 28i x5
tell us how it turned out !!!

You find a motor I have an x5 that has a bad pump and there 380 bucks ,Can they be rebuilt?
steelheaderfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
DFrye81

My Ride: 2001 330i
Just wanted to update this thread for anyone interested.
I too got stuck taking my old SAP apart. The trick to removing the top half is to insert a solid rod (I used a copper rod) inside the cap, grip the cap with something (I used channellock pliers), then hammer rod. It took several hits, but it eventually came free of the motor. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1390399139.347509.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	543522

Once that's off, your next PITA is to remove the motor from the housing. It's held in by a plastic, cup-like, device that has 6 areas that clip into the inside of the housing. I used a very small screw driver to pull each clip back, then inserted small paperclips to hold clip back while I worked on the 6 areas. You can use anything here that's small enough to hold the clips back.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1390399349.272979.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	543523

Once you have all 6 clips secured back, you can easily slide out the motor.

When you reassemble, just make sure you don't hammer the new motor onto the top half too hard. You want it secured, but not so pressed that the blades can't spin freely. Best to keep some play here as shown in photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1390399738.742192.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	543524

Good luck to anyone attempting this in the future. It's a PITA, but very doable.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DFrye81 is offline   Reply With Quote