E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
manhattanprjkt83

My Ride: 330xi
Wiring Issue W/ Angel Eyes Photos inside

Ok so I have just installed my Umnitza predator chromium units to convert my 330xi to xenon, they look amazing.

I did have one problem with them though so I am coming to the board to ask for opinions on my solution. The one driver side ring was lighting VERY dimly. After some investigation and emails with Umnitza they suggested ‘cutting’ or hard wiring the ring connections.

Last night I did this (it was getting dark so I was in a bit of a hurry) and the ring is lighting as expected every time it looks great. Now my question to the board is what is the best way to ‘hard wire’ the connections I used the ghetto method with electrical tape but it is scaring me.

What are your thoughts on below? When I touched the wires while wiring this guy they sparked pretty good and the tape feels a bit warm after they are on for a while. I guess I am trying to be overly cautious here in that I have visions of my car catching on fire…Is that even a concern?

Umnitza said keep them well insulated, but what is ‘well insulated’. I do most of my own work but electrical stuff is not my strong point any help from you guys would be appreciated thanks.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics but i shot them right before work
Original connector next to the tape:

original

my shotty tape job:

is this positioning ok?

330xi aka the joint
manhattanprjkt83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
entcee

My Ride: 2002 325i Sedan
The best way (IMO) would be to solder the 2 wires together and use some shrink tubing (or electrical tape in a pinch) to insulate.
entcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
manhattanprjkt83

Ok...I dont have a solder gun though...is there any risk running at is?

Until i can get a more final solution?

330xi aka the joint
Old 02-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattanprjkt83 View Post
Ok...I dont have a solder gun though...is there any risk running at is?

Until i can get a more final solution?
you should just disconnect it. it can start fires like that. what you can do is get some insulated butt connectors and crimp the wires together. then electrical tape that. that's also a good solution, though i still think the best method is to solder and heatshrink.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
manhattanprjkt83

so use these?

330xi aka the joint
Old 02-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
MJRMatt330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to MJRMatt330
one of my rings was weak too at first... it lagged behind the others warming up for like the first couple days, but now its perfect...
Interior/Sound- Tri-M3 wheel, Leather ///M shiftknob, DICE iPod integration, JL Audio 10" Whoofers, Custom Box, JL Audio 250/1 Amp

MJRMatt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
manhattanprjkt83

hmmm a bit to late for me at this point i already cut the connections. I did a search and found a bunch of issues with rings sparking and starting small fires so i am a bit freaked now.

It didnt seem that they were the exact product i have but none the less i want to find the fail safe solution. So i shoudl diconnect the ring and tape off the wire ends until i can solder and shrink wrap the connection?
????

330xi aka the joint
Old 02-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
manhattanprjkt83

anyone?

330xi aka the joint
Old 02-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
sillieidiot

Quote:
so use these?

no, those are twist connectors. but the work too. i meant something like this:

Old 02-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
manhattanprjkt83

ok so slide those connectors over the wires first, solder the connection, slide them over the connection and heat with a lighter or whatever?

It is going to take me a few days to get to doing this do you think there is any worry in leaving them connected in the interim? I think i would rather do that and not have the connections exposed.

330xi aka the joint
Old 02-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
sillieidiot

Quote:
ok so slide those connectors over the wires first, solder the connection, slide them over the connection and heat with a lighter or whatever?

It is going to take me a few days to get to doing this do you think there is any worry in leaving them connected in the interim? I think i would rather do that and not have the connections exposed.
well with those butt connectors, you don't need to solder. i was just offering a solution since you don't have a soldering gun. you just put the wires in it and just crimp them. and then tape over them for extra security. in the mean time, unconnect the wires and tape them up.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
no, those are twist connectors. but the work too. i meant something like this:

Exactly, use butt connectors to make the connection.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #13
manhattanprjkt83

ok kids this is what i did last night bought a few of the red connectors pictured above trimmed the wire ends down a bit and crimped them down really tight (at first I had a hard time with the wires staying in the connector actually had to throw a few away)

After the connections were done I slid the shrink wrap overtop of them and heated it with a lighter till it was pretty snug. The shrink wrap didn't fit completely tight around the wire so I had to put a piece of tape at each end just in case.

This was only done with the driver side since that is the only one I had issue with but I am thinking about doing it for the passenger side as well it seems pretty solid no?

My only concern was the loose seal on the shrink wrap but I think it should be ok...no?

330xi aka the joint
Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #14
entcee

My Ride: 2002 325i Sedan
The red connectors might have been too big for the wires (this might be why you had a hard time getting the wires to stay in the connector).

If you have any doubts about the shrink wrap, wrap it in electical tape.

Did this make a difference with your dim ring?
entcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #15
manhattanprjkt83

Hmmm i guess that is possible they are pretty tight now though i gave them a hefty crimp.

Yes the hard wiring (even just a twist of the wires with electrical tape) completely resolved the issues i had with the dim ring. They look perfect now Not sure why these are shipped with the connectors if there is risk of fire or what not. This method seems alot more solid for cold weather and fire prevention.

330xi aka the joint
Old 02-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #16
sillieidiot

Quote:
Hmmm i guess that is possible they are pretty tight now though i gave them a hefty crimp.

Yes the hard wiring (even just a twist of the wires with electrical tape) completely resolved the issues i had with the dim ring. They look perfect now Not sure why these are shipped with the connectors if there is risk of fire or what not. This method seems alot more solid for cold weather and fire prevention.
it's just for ease of install. i usually cut the connector off and solder them anyways. if not then i will just electrical tape the whole wire.