E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
holman_00

My Ride: 323i
so i want to change my rotors n pads

how do i change my rotors n pads dealership is asking to much, i been looking on here to see how but i cant fine anything, the only thing i find is people trying to do something n getting stuck so i just want to know if theres like a online handbook or something on how to do it step by step ? please help
holman_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
jdogg

My Ride: 05 330iZHP; 07 R500
http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e46
jdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
holman_00

Thank U Any One Else Got Something Deferent
Old 02-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
L8APX

My Ride: 2005 330i, 1989 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg View Post
The site that jdogg gave you is all you need. Rotors and pads are easy as pie to do, just make sure you put a jack stand or at minimum a tire under the car when it's up in the air so in the event you whack the rotor to get it off the car doesn't fall on the ground.

Safety first, always.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
holman_00

so how much do they usually charge to do that work at shops?????
Old 02-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
greg330Ci01

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330Ci
The prices really depend. I paid about 750 just to replace the front rotors and pads. Now that I have this webisite the next time the rotors and pads have to be changed I am definatley going to do them myself. Plus with the money you save you can probably afford to updgrade to drilled rotors, steel lines and better pads.
greg330Ci01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
jkliman

My Ride: 325xi
Just did my pads (all 4)

Can tell you one thing it was ^%$#!@# messy!

I went and purchased some ceramic pads a NAPA auto parts everything was about $140 in the end. They are very easy to uninstall old and install new, I was a first timer doing brake pads and all in all took me about 2 hrs.

If you can find anyone who has ever changed there pads to give you a hand, they will know exactly what they are doing.

BTW are you in the northeast specifically Mass or CT if so I might be able to give a hand!!!
jkliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #8
wack0

My Ride: M3, ZHP
just did my rear pads n rotors this weekend, super easy job with that DIY
wack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
remora9595

My Ride: 330ci
I've seen read some of the diys and they look very doable, however some say the pads need to be bedded-in and that looks pretty hard to do on the rear pads. Any ideas?
remora9595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Hey my brakes were done shortly before buying the car, but the noisy, dusty oe rear pads annoy me, as do the rusty rear rotor. So I want to switch em out to match the front.
My question is.
When you do brakes, do u guys change the pad sensor everytime, or only if its damaged.
Also, if you happen to keep your pads on long enough that the wear indicator comes on, do you have to change the sensor, or are they like a tad bit durable.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
drater

My Ride: '04 gti
change the wear sensor every single time the pads are changed. also, when setting in the new pads, try doing some 50-10 mph stops at about medium firmness on the brake pedal. you'll start to feel the pads grabbing more and setting in. do not slam on the brakes for the first 10 miles or so, just do about 5 or 10 of the 50-10 mph slowdowns to help the pads wear in correctly.
drater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:02 AM   #12
tsylatac

My Ride: understeers.
another DIY is here.

Also, if the sensor hasn't been tripped, you should just be able to re-use the old one that was on there. Follow the link at the beginning of this thread to get proper Bedding-in procedures for when you're done. It involves several high-speed to near stop maneuvers but should be pretty straightforward. Gonna go pick up pads tomorrow and try to get this done myself this weekend

www.xiftw.com

2 0 0 3 | 3 3 0 x i

UUC Stg2 Flywheel, M5 Clutch, GruppeM, UUC/Axxis Brakes, H&R RSB, CSLs/General UHPs, Rogue Pulleys

tsylatac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #13
remora9595

My Ride: 330ci
My question is the bedding-in procedure indicated in the link above says it only applies to the front pads. Do the rear pads not need bedding-in or is normal brake usage enough to achieve the same results (maybe over longer period of time)? Thanks
remora9595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #14
drater

i just thumbed through that DIY on bedding in the brakes, and my god I would never do that to my car or to a customer's car. When OEM brakes are replaced, there is a small slip of paper that explicitly states to NOT use the brakes to near-ABS lockup. Again, do NOT slam on the brakes or perform those several highway stops. I feel like that is the quickest way to glaze the pads and/or ruin the brand news pads/rotors you just installed.

What I do, which has never come back nor caused any problems, is AT MOST go about 65 mph and use a medium foot to slow the car down to around 10 or 15 mph. Do that about 3 or 5 times within a few miles. Try not to stop completely, keep a medium to lighter foot on the brakes, and try to keep the car straight the whole time.

For front brakes or rear brakes, I perform the same procedure, and have never had any problems. Again, I feel like that DIY with SLAMMING on the brakes is one of the most un-intelligent things i've read in a while.

Btw, I'm a level 3 BMW Tech that is Master ASE certified and have been working at a dealer for about 2 years now, but what do I know.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
do you do this only for OE pads, what about EBC green stuff or others?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #16
drater

I've only done OE pads, obviously as I work at a dealer, but I would assume any pad/rotor combination that is OEM-like would be fine with the process I described.

Also, as soon as youre done putting on the new brakes, lower the car back onto the ground and pump the pedal before you start moving. You need to fill the gap between the pads and rotor that you created by pushing the brake caliper piston back. Check your brake fluid level to be sure it is within its specifications, and THEN you test drive. One last thing, I like to just kind of tap the brakes for the first 100 feet or so to get the brakes "ready" to bed in. Then I perform my procedure.

If all this is greek to you, then have someone that knows what their doing work on your car. Anytime you work on brakes you HAVE to be 100% sure on everything youve done. No "forgetting" to tighten a caliper brake bolt and then the brakes fall apart and youre left moving 65 mph with no stopping power. Dont be stupid.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:49 AM   #17
zactastic

My Ride: Merlin nonfixed gear
Send a message via AIM to zactastic
where's the best place to buy slotted rotors, pads, and sensors? are those the only three things i need... besides the tools?

"There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California." -Edward Abbey

"Learning from experience is a faculty almost never practiced." -Barbara Tuchman

...the mod bug got me and my Alpine 330ci;there's a list somewhere...
zactastic is offline   Reply With Quote