E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Sway Bars ?

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  f0kai 
#1 ·
Im thinking about up-grading the sway bars on my 2003 330i. My car has the standerd luxo. package, so im sure it only has the stock sways on it. My question is will the E46 M3 sways bolt right on? I konw theres other after market options out there, but for the driving I do the M3 sway would be the best choice..Any input would be a help..

Thanks

Sean Rubin

#3 ·
ZHPs sways are the same as what you already have.

I think the M3 front bar might fit but the rear definitely does not. A few people have combined M3 front and 330 vert rear bars but I would just recommend getting a set of adjustable aftermarket bars, they're not all that expensive. I've been extremely happy with my H&R bars.

#7 · (Edited)
Noooo, save yourself from that mistake.
Im thinking about up-grading the sway bars on my 2003 330i. My car has the standerd luxo. package, so im sure it only has the stock sways on it. My question is will the E46 M3 sways bolt right on? I konw theres other after market options out there, but for the driving I do the M3 sway would be the best choice..Any input would be a help..

Thanks
Sean Rubin
ZHP bars should be the same as the stock ones you have(which are sport on an '03 sedan)
You can check with member "Slo Town" as he's done an OEM swaybar upgrade using cabrio and M3 bars.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=371422&highlight=oem+swaybars

I think for you the H&R or Eibach swaybars sound about right.

#5 ·
Sway bars will make a very nice difference in your handling. Do not go the M3 route as only the front bar will fit and finding a used 330 vert rear bar is near to impossible.

Definitely look at UUC or H&R. I have the UUC's and they are great. The H&R's are lower maintenance however.

One thing I will advise you on that I noticed after a few months of driving was that since the new sways are stiffer, that other things will start to wear quicker. My control arm bushings turned to mush soon after and I had to go the powerflex route. Now my shocks/springs seem to be getting soft and bouncy and will be upgrading those soon too. Just wanted to let you know it's something to be aware of if you drive on bad roads...

#6 ·
One thing I will advise you on that I noticed after a few months of driving was that since the new sways are stiffer, that other things will start to wear quicker. My control arm bushings turned to mush soon after and I had to go the powerflex route. Now my shocks/springs seem to be getting soft and bouncy and will be upgrading those soon too. Just wanted to let you know it's something to be aware of if you drive on bad roads...
More likely coincidence than related to the sway bar upgrade.

#10 ·
I just installed the UUC bars. You have to play with the height on the rear links to get it just right. Mine bars rubbed on the rear trailing arms a little. Took 2-3 small adjustments.

It will be as easy as pic if you can get the car on an alignment rack because the suspension is loaded under the weight of the car.

#16 ·
I just installed PSSs, UUC sways, TMS rear control arms and front control arms. It really isn't that hard. The fronts are a piece of cake. The rears are a little more of a challenge but are definitely doable.

The only hard part in all of that is getting the rear endlinks just right so they don't hit the rear axle, rear control arms or the muffler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.