E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
IFX

My Ride: M156
Steal a car, then drown

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/21/p...wning-dashcam/

play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
While I don't believe the kids who had been arrested for joy-riding multiple times were innocent or "good kids"... if the cops made no real attempt to save the kids then I'd say they shouldn't have their jobs (and only some statements seem to suggest they may have tried to "do the right thing". but that appears to potentially be contradicted by the dash cam footage).
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Police have no duty to protect. They have absolutely no reason to risk their lives to go after criminals drowning. Darwin wins again.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
While I don't believe the kids who had been arrested for joy-riding multiple times were innocent or "good kids"... if the cops made no real attempt to save the kids then I'd say they shouldn't have their jobs (and only some statements seem to suggest they may have tried to "do the right thing". but that appears to potentially be contradicted by the dash cam footage).
Why? How do I know they wont stab me when Im down there? If it was a few girls then sure, I'd label them as cowards (although they would still be protected with the no duty to protect decision) but to risk your life to save criminals? I don't think they should lose their jobs.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #5
Wraisil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Why? How do I know they wont stab me when Im down there? If it was a few girls then sure, I'd label them as cowards (although they would still be protected with the no duty to protect decision) but to risk your life to save criminals? I don't think they should lose their jobs.
So, a 6-year old kid is jaywalking and a cop sees a car barreling down on the kid, he should stand by and watch it happen because the criminal deserves to die if they're breaking the law??

Yeah, the SCOTUS has ruled cops don't have a duty to protect. A moral person, on the other hand, has a duty to try and save a life if they don't have a good reason to believe doing so would be detrimental. You can't tell me that some cops who heard drowning teenage girls who they had no reason to believe had harmed anyone really thought they would be in danger if they tried to save their lives.

Are they obligated to by law? Nope. Are they shitty human beings if they let some kids die for the crime of being young and stupid if they could have done something about it? **** yeah.

(note: I'm not saying the cops WERE shitty humans that night, the evidence doesn't show that or the opposite conclusively, but it does appear to imply that some of the cops may have been shitty people who don't deserve a job which should be about serving the public)
Old 04-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #6
IFX

My Ride: M156
yes.. a great old debate. i knew it

i think we all made mistakes at that age, but it's just unfortunate that it happened. drowning has to be one of the worst ways to go.

the real question is, if you were a cop would you risk going in? that water did look freaky, f that
Old 04-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
So, a 6-year old kid is jaywalking and a cop sees a car barreling down on the kid, he should stand by and watch it happen because the criminal deserves to die if they're breaking the law??

Yeah, the SCOTUS has ruled cops don't have a duty to protect. A moral person, on the other hand, has a duty to try and save a life if they don't have a good reason to believe doing so would be detrimental. You can't tell me that some cops who heard drowning teenage girls who they had no reason to believe had harmed anyone really thought they would be in danger if they tried to save their lives.

Are they obligated to by law? Nope. Are they shitty human beings if they let some kids die for the crime of being young and stupid if they could have done something about it? **** yeah.

(note: I'm not saying the cops WERE shitty humans that night, the evidence doesn't show that or the opposite conclusively, but it does appear to imply that some of the cops may have been shitty people who don't deserve a job which should be about serving the public)
From what I read, the cops chased the vehicle, then it went into the pond. They may or may not have heard a female voice, but did they know that it was just teenage girls? Also, going after a sinking vehicle is extremely dangerous, especially if you are not a strong swimmer. What's a reasonable expectation of a cop going after a sinking vehicle? The cop probably has his own family, and cops everyday must weigh the option of rescuing someone or protecting themselves. Many are indeed selfless and put their lives on the line, but few would put their lives on the line to save "a criminal." How far do we expect cops to go when it comes to risking their lives to save someone? Crawl into a burning car/house? Dive into a frozen lake? Where is that line?

Now of course, I wasn't there, so I don't know how fast the car sank, if the cops sat there, watched it bob for 5 minutes and then sink while laughing, etc, I can't hang them out to dry just from the information available. I do believe them that the pond was mucky and sucked their legs in, as most ponds are indeed slimy and muddy.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #8
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
yes.. a great old debate. i knew it

i think we all made mistakes at that age, but it's just unfortunate that it happened. drowning has to be one of the worst ways to go.

the real question is, if you were a cop would you risk going in? that water did look freaky, f that
That's a ridiculous statement to make. I had some fun with friends, snuck a cig here and there, stayed out past a certain hour, drove around places I had no business driving around, snuck into strip joints with fake IDs, etc...but to steal a car? Sorry, can't chalk that up to "kids will be kids."
Old 04-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #9
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
I probably would've tried to swim out... But that's me. I don't put the officers at fault. The girl driving sealed their fate.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #10
Wraisil

Quote:
That's a ridiculous statement to make. I had some fun with friends, snuck a cig here and there, stayed out past a certain hour, drove around places I had no business driving around, snuck into strip joints with fake IDs, etc...but to steal a car? Sorry, can't chalk that up to "kids will be kids."
And your experiences are the same everyone had, right? Your childhood indiscressions were okay, but anything different or worse in your opinion is unacceptable?

Nope, we don't know the specifics of what happened at that scene, but I do know that many people expect LEO's to behave in a better manner than the video portrays these men to have behaved.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #11
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
Quote:
Police have no duty to protect. They have absolutely no reason to risk their lives to go after criminals drowning. Darwin wins again.
lol, what? Their moto is literally to protect and serve.

flickher

Want something 3D printed? PM me

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #12
Stankia

My Ride: V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
NFR strikes again
Old 04-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #13
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Regardless of their legal duty, I think if I had been there and had done nothing that would haunt me for the rest of my life.

That doesn't mean I would have jumped in foolishly, but I would have felt terrible about it anyway.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #14
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
NFR strikes again
Except he's correct.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/po...eone.html?_r=0
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #15
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Regardless of their legal duty, I think if I had been there and had done nothing that would haunt me for the rest of my life.

That doesn't mean I would have jumped in foolishly, but I would have felt terrible about it anyway.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #16
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
The more you know....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren...ct_of_Columbia

A cop can literally see someone mug you at gunpoint, and walk the other way. Remember that during the next gun carry thread.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #17
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Quote:
It's just a slogan, like redbull gives you wings. Crazy right?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #18
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

Absolutely agree, but cops often feel a feeling of pleasure when a criminal gets theirs. I used to have a similar feeling when I used to have belligerent drunks arrested. Many of them probably had serious problems after that night, but I didn't care. I was happy to see them get screwed because they made my life and often my safety hell. The cries for help would probably haunt me (if that happened, but I don't see how if the car sank that fast).
Old 04-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #19
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post
It's just a slogan, like redbull gives you wings. Crazy right?
You're the next caller....
Old 04-22-2016, 08:11 PM   #20
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
Quote:
The more you know....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren...ct_of_Columbia

A cop can literally see someone mug you at gunpoint, and walk the other way. Remember that during the next gun carry thread.
Well WTF

flickher

Want something 3D printed? PM me

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote