E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

View Poll Results: What would you do
Sell both 4 26.67%
Keep both 0 0%
Get a new house 11 73.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
Ynot

My Ride: 997
What would you do (car content)

So I have the itch again, want to get into something more exotic. I have my 997 TPC turbo C4S for nearly 6 years now, it's been awesome, still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. I also have a 981 Boxster S that I've own for nearly a years now, for those nice cool morning drives to work and date nights with the wife on nice calm evenings. It's a nice little mid-engine roadster. My problem is I only have a two car garage and would like to be able to park one of the SUV's in there this winter. So I'll have to sell both and was thinking of getting something more exotic in the $125K range.

Potential cars

1. Ferrari F430 coupe or spyder
2. Audi R8 5.2 coupe or spyder
3. MB AMG GTS
4. 997.2 GT3

I had also talked to the wife about moving to another house with at least a 3 car garage so I can keep both and add a MT Audi R8 in the $85K range. I have my eye on a neighbors house. Spoke with that neighbor, he's 90 years old now and plans to move in a year or two. So I'll have to wait. I like to hear some opinions.

Current cars.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #2
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & F56 JCW
My sister's got the AMG GTS, it's proven to be an absolute riot. Get's my vote. It feels quite different from the rest, and it's good to mix things up, you've gotten a good taste of the stuttgart offerings!
Old 07-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
TruckDaddy

My Ride: 1991 Kenworth T600
1. Keep both
2. Buy new house
3. Buy Ferrari F430 coupe AND spyder
Buy Audi R8 5.2 coupe AND spyder
Buy MB AMG GTS
Buy 997.2 GT3
4. Keep all garaged
Old 07-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #4
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
GT3. All the other cars you listed are hideous.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
Show me

My Ride: 330 Vert
You apparently have enough money and/or credit that you should have a bigger garage.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
Ferrari all day erry day, but owning a Ferrari is on my bucket list so I'm biased. The smart thing to do would be buy the better house but that's boring.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #7
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

My Ride: Currently a blonde!
GT3.....but you probably already knew that I was going to say that. The other cars on the list don't appeal to me at all.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #8
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
why wait? it's very common for the elderly to fall down the stairs

Quote:
I always have to laugh when I see a thread described as "Not Work Safe." Is there anything on the OT forum that's really "work safe"? If I were your boss, I'd be mad if you spent any time on this forum at work at all. How is a picture of a naked girl any less work safe than, say, a picture of a matador getting gored in the *** by an angry bull? - VaderDave
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #9
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Build another garage on your property!

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #10
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Based on what you listed...none of them. I'd find something a little less common and cliche if you know what I mean? The Jag F Type SVR goes for $125k brand new at MSRP (probably can be had for a bit less) and god damn they are pretty and make a good sound. Comes in roadster form as well with AWD so you can drive year round if you should so desire. If you have a Ferrari on your list, you probably don't care too much about reliability and buying new nets you a warranty anyway.

If a Benz is on your mind, I'd get something like a CL63/65 AMG or the SLS AMG over the newer ones. Those two just have so much character and panache that the AMG GT just doesn't have. Not saying it isn't a good car but it just doesn't have the presence of those two. Another idea is an Aston V8 (or V12 if you can swing it) Vantage.

Lastly, I'd be down for doing a straight up trade for either in exchange for a mint condition AP2 S2000 with low miles. srs.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #11
SLVR JDM

My Ride: 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Based on what you listed...none of them. I'd find something a little less common and cliche if you know what I mean? The Jag F Type SVR goes for $125k brand new at MSRP (probably can be had for a bit less) and god damn they are pretty and make a good sound. Comes in roadster form as well with AWD so you can drive year round if you should so desire. If you have a Ferrari on your list, you probably don't care too much about reliability and buying new nets you a warranty anyway.

If a Benz is on your mind, I'd get something like a CL63/65 AMG or the SLS AMG over the newer ones. Those two just have so much character and panache that the AMG GT just doesn't have. Not saying it isn't a good car but it just doesn't have the presence of those two. Another idea is an Aston V8 (or V12 if you can swing it) Vantage.

Lastly, I'd be down for doing a straight up trade for either in exchange for a mint condition AP2 S2000 with low miles. srs.
How much cash on top of that S2K though? The values on a trade like this are 10's of thousands different even if yours is flawless.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #12
SLVR JDM

My Ride: 4Runner
OP - 3rd garage space is great, probably ideal for a person like you with several nice vehicles which should be stored indoors. That said, moving is such a pain in the butt, I'd probably just consolidate into 1 "fun" car unless you really want that extra space badly. The headaches of moving (to me) outweigh the want of another garage space.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
Ynot

My Ride: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
My sister's got the AMG GTS, it's proven to be an absolute riot. Get's my vote. It feels quite different from the rest, and it's good to mix things up, you've gotten a good taste of the stuttgart offerings!
I've been watching a lot of car reviews and it's been very positive. Handles better than a 911, didn't think that was possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDaddy View Post
1. Keep both
2. Buy new house
3. Buy Ferrari F430 coupe AND spyder
Buy Audi R8 5.2 coupe AND spyder
Buy MB AMG GTS
Buy 997.2 GT3
4. Keep all garaged
Mega Million is half a billion tomorrow, that is a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post
GT3. All the other cars you listed are hideous.
Really? I actually prefer the looks of the F430 to the newer 458.

You don't think this looks good?

or this?

or this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show me View Post
You apparently have enough money and/or credit that you should have a bigger garage.
I got a great deal on the house, the garage was almost a deal breaker, it's the only house in the neighborhood with a 2 car garage, it's actually a 2.5 car garage, can easily fit two motorcyles in their with 2 cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Ferrari all day erry day, but owning a Ferrari is on my bucket list so I'm biased. The smart thing to do would be buy the better house but that's boring.
I thought I get that off my bucket list as well, a lot of Porsche owners end up selling the Ferrari and getting a Porsche again. I figure I'd own a F430 for a couple years then get something different since it'll be used and it'll hold it's value well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
GT3.....but you probably already knew that I was going to say that. The other cars on the list don't appeal to me at all.
I'm still regretting not getting a GT3 in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
why wait? it's very common for the elderly to fall down the stairs
Fred is a great dude, I wouldn't do that to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Build another garage on your property!
Not enough space and HOA will never allow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post

I actually tested the Jaguar F-type convertible 3 times, beautiful looking car and the V8 and exhaust sounds great but at the end of the day. The boxster was the overall better car.

Not into the MB CL. My friend has one, just doesn't do it for me. I would not be able to open my doors in my garage with the SLS. I like a sporty feel that the SLS lacks.

S2000 is a nice car but a bit too boy racer for me. I'm a middle age man with 3 kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
OP - 3rd garage space is great, probably ideal for a person like you with several nice vehicles which should be stored indoors. That said, moving is such a pain in the butt, I'd probably just consolidate into 1 "fun" car unless you really want that extra space badly. The headaches of moving (to me) outweigh the want of another garage space.
Yeah, that is why I'm thinking about selling both and just get an exotic. I have a decent size house (over 4,600 sq/ft) and have accumulated a lot of junk over the years. But then, I want to get a house with a 4 car garage, so I can keep both and add another sports car. I can't imagine living w/o a convertible/roadster. Plus 3 car is better than 1. But it'll be awhile before I can get another car, people tend to stay in my neighborhood for a long time. Fortunately there are a lot of older folks that are about to go to retirement homes.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #14
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: fast
ferrai spyder

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #15
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M
Get a Singer.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #16
-Ross-
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Jeep JK
1. Kill the neighbor
2. S2K
3. Wrangler

Last edited by -Ross-; 07-07-2016 at 08:15 PM.
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #17
:. RaFFi .:

My Ride: MBZ SL55 ///AMG
430 coupe
Old 07-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #18
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I'm glad I'm too poor to have these kinds of problems.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #19
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I'm glad I'm too poor to have these kinds of problems.
Right. I went the 4.5 car garage route and filled it with bicycles.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #20
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Do you care about buying in at the proper time and letting it appreciate? If so, currently the 360 Modena is undervalued and basically at it's bottom value and will only appreciate, especially the later years. Just wondering if you care on taking a beating or do you want to protect your investment a bit.