E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #2081
Ma Junior
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 240
My Ride: Has 2 Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Out of curiosity, how much do all of the riders here pay monthly on their bikes (..What was the cost of the bike? How much down? What was the finance term? etc..)?

With $2,000 down, my payments will be $192.43; $2,500 down, and the payments drop to 184.64 respectively. The term is 84 months @ 7.9%.
My Thruxton was $9,300 OTD. I financed 36 months, with $300 monthly. Can't remember my APR and too lazy to got look.
__________________
Ma Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:56 PM   #2082
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,799
My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
hondas are the easiest to steal, extremely, someone showed me why i few years ago, i was sad.
gixxers parts are traded probably more than anything else, and R6 is just, i dunno.
Was it the, "kick the clip-on hard enough to break the lock pin" bit?



Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
actually you see more gixxers at the race track that anything, and thats drag and circuit. and R6s are NOT tanks. trust me.
I'll have to agree here! GSXR's out-number any other platform.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #2083
niko084
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 143
My Ride: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
actually you see more gixxers at the race track that anything, and thats drag and circuit. and R6s are NOT tanks. trust me.
Maybe where you are at...

The CRA races around here, lots and lots and lots of R6s, willing to bet the most common by far, probably followed by 600RR.

I don't know what you mean they are not tanks... I have seen a bunch go down, flip, flop, and they hold up. The newer generations have problems if you crash and don't have something to protect your gas tank.

Motors and transmissions are like pfft, stupid... People run them without changing the oil, low or over full on oil, the pre '03s had issues with the transmission, I believe 2nd gear but that was fixed pretty quickly.
niko084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #2084
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,730
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Go to wera.com and see what's the most popularrace platform for all the wera and ccs guys. Gixxer followed by r6.
Parts are abundant, go to the drag strip, busa county, followed by zx14s and 10s. Then the rest.

As for financing a bike, I've always done so, nothing wrong with it, I go thru my CU, and I've never had full coverage. Can't afford it, and I know, that broken or not, I still make my payments. I can make payments all day, but saving? I suck at that. M thinkg is, have money, will spend.
You only live once, and we can't take the sh1t with us, so why not enjoy it if I can afford to easily finance it.

Yes, that's how they steal hondas inline. Its easy as pie. The yamahas aren't much tougher either.

Full coverage on the avg used bike is overrated I think, if you drop it at a stop light, and bust the case cover, and dent the tank, they'll prolly total it if its more than a few years old. Its ridiculous, then you have to roll around with a total loss on your insurance record. Then your premiums skyrocket even more. I already pay high premiums because of the tickets in this damn bimmer, I don't need a total loss for a bike that I can fix for a few hundred with used parts on my record pushing it higher.
You guys go ahead, and when they total them bikes out us track guys will scoop em up cheap and make a track bike, and spend the difference on mods
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:08 AM   #2085
SD 328I
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,847
My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
I recently saw this young kid (probably around 21 years old) lay down a brand spanking new Honda CBR600RR right in front of me. He was making a left turn and the back end slip from under him, he low slided at around 5-7 mph. He was fine, but the bike was not.

I helped him move his bike to a parking lot on the side of the street. The damage was extensive, with a dented frame, destroyed plastics on the left side, broken radiator, scratched swing arm, and broken clip-ons, etc.

The bike was without question totaled!!! He was on his way to buy frame sliders no less, which would have saved his bike. Amazing how much damage can happen at such slow speeds.

To make matters worse, the bike had only 51 miles on it! He bought it the day before, full leathers, helmet, etc. The reason he said he lost it was because his Alpinestar gloves were new and a little too tight. He had a problem with his right hand applying the throttle and that caused him to lose control while making a left.

I also had a similar problem with new leather gloves. Thank God I made sure to break them in before riding. I drove him to his house, watched him make that long sad walk up his driveway to his front door, having to explain to his parents what just happened to him.
__________________
SD 328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:24 AM   #2086
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,730
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
U usually drive in mine to break em in.
That's unfortunate what happened to that kid. But that's one of the reasons why I think full coverage. For me is no good. Just like that, a total loss on your record. Sometimes its just not worth it.

I normally just run liability and comprehensige to cover theft and vandalism etc
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #2087
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,799
My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 328I View Post
I recently saw this young kid (probably around 21 years old) lay down a brand spanking new Honda CBR600RR right in front of me. He was making a left turn and the back end slip from under him, he low slided at around 5-7 mph. He was fine, but the bike was not.

I helped him move his bike to a parking lot on the side of the street. The damage was extensive, with a dented frame, destroyed plastics on the left side, broken radiator, scratched swing arm, and broken clip-ons, etc.

The bike was without question totaled!!! He was on his way to buy frame sliders no less, which would have saved his bike. Amazing how much damage can happen at such slow speeds.

To make matters worse, the bike had only 51 miles on it! He bought it the day before, full leathers, helmet, etc. The reason he said he lost it was because his Alpinestar gloves were new and a little too tight. He had a problem with his right hand applying the throttle and that caused him to lose control while making a left.

I also had a similar problem with new leather gloves. Thank God I made sure to break them in before riding. I drove him to his house, watched him make that long sad walk up his driveway to his front door, having to explain to his parents what just happened to him.

Damn, that sucks! At least the guy rode with gear on.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #2088
ride365
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 328I View Post
I recently saw this young kid (probably around 21 years old) lay down a brand spanking new Honda CBR600RR right in front of me. He was making a left turn and the back end slip from under him, he low slided at around 5-7 mph. He was fine, but the bike was not.

I helped him move his bike to a parking lot on the side of the street. The damage was extensive, with a dented frame, destroyed plastics on the left side, broken radiator, scratched swing arm, and broken clip-ons, etc.

The bike was without question totaled!!! He was on his way to buy frame sliders no less, which would have saved his bike. Amazing how much damage can happen at such slow speeds.

To make matters worse, the bike had only 51 miles on it! He bought it the day before, full leathers, helmet, etc. The reason he said he lost it was because his Alpinestar gloves were new and a little too tight. He had a problem with his right hand applying the throttle and that caused him to lose control while making a left.

I also had a similar problem with new leather gloves. Thank God I made sure to break them in before riding. I drove him to his house, watched him make that long sad walk up his driveway to his front door, having to explain to his parents what just happened to him.
that's an endorsement for starting small and used.
__________________
ride365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #2089
Brendan@FCP
FCP Groton Representative
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Old Saybrook, CT
Posts: 81
My Ride: 04 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
that's an endorsement for starting small and used.
Sort of. In anybody's defense though, I am not convinced age has as much to do with it as mentality.

When you buy a brand new bike at age 21, you could be riding street bikes for 3 years before that, legally, and just not been used to your new gloves.

Multiple factors compound to create accidents as we all know, and one way or another, that is unfortunate and I am happy he is okay.

Lesson learned though.
Brendan@FCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #2090
wrighterjw10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palmyra (Hershey), PA
Posts: 459
My Ride: 2002 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Go to wera.com and see what's the most popularrace platform for all the wera and ccs guys. Gixxer followed by r6.
Parts are abundant, go to the drag strip, busa county, followed by zx14s and 10s. Then the rest.

As for financing a bike, I've always done so, nothing wrong with it, I go thru my CU, and I've never had full coverage. Can't afford it, and I know, that broken or not, I still make my payments. I can make payments all day, but saving? I suck at that. M thinkg is, have money, will spend.
You only live once, and we can't take the sh1t with us, so why not enjoy it if I can afford to easily finance it.

Yes, that's how they steal hondas inline. Its easy as pie. The yamahas aren't much tougher either.

Full coverage on the avg used bike is overrated I think, if you drop it at a stop light, and bust the case cover, and dent the tank, they'll prolly total it if its more than a few years old. Its ridiculous, then you have to roll around with a total loss on your insurance record. Then your premiums skyrocket even more. I already pay high premiums because of the tickets in this damn bimmer, I don't need a total loss for a bike that I can fix for a few hundred with used parts on my record pushing it higher.
You guys go ahead, and when they total them bikes out us track guys will scoop em up cheap and make a track bike, and spend the difference on mods
i have a lot of respect for ur knowledge of bikes. But as for the insurance thing, I'd hav to disagree.

i'm in the insurance business. its your choice not to have comp and collision. but making payments on a totaled bike is not something i'd want to do personally. Much worse a stolen bike.

my motorcycle insurance is $19 a month. this is with no discounts. I have a $250 collision and $500 comprehensive ded. 100k BI limits. fairly good bike policy.

as for your driving history, sure having an accident isnt ideal, but there's more considered than that.
__________________
wrighterjw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #2091
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,730
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
i have a lot of respect for ur knowledge of bikes. But as for the insurance thing, I'd hav to disagree.

i'm in the insurance business. its your choice not to have comp and collision. but making payments on a totaled bike is not something i'd want to do personally. Much worse a stolen bike.

my motorcycle insurance is $19 a month. this is with no discounts. I have a $250 collision and $500 comprehensive ded. 100k BI limits. fairly good bike policy.

as for your driving history, sure having an accident isnt ideal, but there's more considered than that.
good for you, but when my insurance payment for full coverage is more than my car and bike payments combined, how can i logically, say, yes, its the way to go.
ive never been quoted less than $3k/yr for full coverage, and thats when my record only had 1 infraction on it, and i was over 25 at the time.

Plus trust me when i say this, id be paying for a wrecked bike, but it wouldnt be wrecked for long. id be rebuilding it.
ive dropped my bikes a total of 3 times, the 1st time it wasnt ride able, in 4 months time it was ready to go again. so really i wasnt paying for a wrecked bike for long.

try quoting yourself for insurance in my zip code, i suspect it would more than quadruple. 23464 if you feel up to it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #2092
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,730
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
that's an endorsement for starting small and used.
amen bro
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #2093
330ciandr6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: .
Posts: 6,605
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
good for you, but when my insurance payment for full coverage is more than my car and bike payments combined, how can i logically, say, yes, its the way to go.
ive never been quoted less than $3k/yr for full coverage, and thats when my record only had 1 infraction on it, and i was over 25 at the time.
this is true...i have a few things on my record, nothing crazy and i pay like 30 a month liability, but when i was quoted full coverage it was some insane amount. i don't under stand how it can go from 30 liability to like 300 full coverage. full coverage is more than my car payment and insurance...
__________________
Have a oil or coolant leak? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...732&highlight=
ABS/DSC/Brake/Airbag light on?? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...648&highlight=
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #2094
wrighterjw10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Palmyra (Hershey), PA
Posts: 459
My Ride: 2002 330ci
all i'm saying is i was quoted the same things. it almost turned me off completely from buying.

most places wanted about $100-$130 a month. I shopped and shopped and found $19/month with a notable carrier.

i'm not trying to call you out or be a d!ckhead about it. i can sense ur tone. but ur wrong about one thing, with that zip code, the premium barely changes.

again, ur choices are your choices, and thats fine. i was just offering some advice.
__________________
wrighterjw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #2095
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,730
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
all i'm saying is i was quoted the same things. it almost turned me off completely from buying.

most places wanted about $100-$130 a month. I shopped and shopped and found $19/month with a notable carrier.

i'm not trying to call you out or be a d!ckhead about it. i can sense ur tone. but ur wrong about one thing, with that zip code, the premium barely changes.

again, ur choices are your choices, and thats fine. i was just offering some advice.
my tone? sorry if you sensed a tone, but there is none here, and theres no calling out, we're talking about ****, thats what we do.
i dont know how come, or how old you are, but basically, what youre paying for full coverage is less than what im paying now from just liability.

thats all im saying. im not saying its impossible. but for me, its not worth it, at all. If i could get full coverage for what youre getting it for, id prolly do it, just because its coming close to that time where i want a new bike, and if i was to total it, id surely buy it right back.

you work insurance, so you know more than i do, but avg joe me, id be getting shafted paying for full coverage. thats what im saying and for the amount im paying for my car already, the last thing id want on my record would be a total loss payout.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #2096
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,730
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
which carrier are you with wrighter?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #2097
niko084
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 143
My Ride: '02 330ci
Ya, age doesn't have much to do with it *all the time*

You guys heard of Aaron Colten?
He lives fairly close to me and I have seen him perform, the kid can handle a bike.
niko084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #2098
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,799
My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan@FCP View Post
Sort of. In anybody's defense though, I am not convinced age has as much to do with it as mentality.

When you buy a brand new bike at age 21, you could be riding street bikes for 3 years before that, legally, and just not been used to your new gloves.

Multiple factors compound to create accidents as we all know, and one way or another, that is unfortunate and I am happy he is okay.

Lesson learned though.
Agreed!


Snik, try State Farm. When I was searching for bike insurance on my '07 GSXR 600, I was receiving quotes between $3k - 7k annually......

..........and then I found State Farm (..via the suggestions of people on GSXR.com). That was all she wrote!

P.S. Your boy Brad is hard to get ahold of. LOL! Everytime I call SBS, I get the answering machine.


Oh...and I decided to go with the white/pearl 848 (..I think!). So many decisions!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-25-2009 at 05:57 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #2099
Parish_Rane
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 32
My Ride: '02 330xi
State Farm +1.
2004 R6, 500 deductable, comprehensive
2002 330xi 500 deductable comp. I'm paying $125 a month at age 23.
__________________
** That was beyond annoying **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allure View Post
Fuk banks, who invented them? Useless sh!t, that's all I can say. I always deal with cash, with real money, not some numbers in a computer.
Parish_Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #2100
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,730
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
inquired with state farm when i first got the 1K RR, was still astronomical.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use