E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #3021
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
haha. this is true. I got scars, and a bike but no chick. wanna tell me what I am doing wrong?>
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #3022
Pasha

My Ride: E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
You don't need projectors if your reflectors are designed properly. My '04 1000RR had amazing reflectors. Perfect beam, perfect cutoff, and was perfect for an HID kit. My Lexus IS300 also had xenons in reflectors (factory), and the light output is way better than my 330CiC, which has the factory xenons, in projectors.

For optimum light output, 6000K is too high. You want to stay between 4300 and 5000K. This spectrum will give you the highest number of lumens, while still providing a nice, white light.
I get what you are saying; Yes, you can design the reflectors in a way where it will provide a crisp and clean light output with a perfect cutoff.... fact.

But what what I mean is that a xenon bulb looks much cleaner in there than the huge reflector they are replacing it with. Just like you won't see the new 7 series reverting back to halogen/reflector lights...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #3023
Pasha

Almost forgot... also went shopping yesterday, and got some amazing deals.

Dunlop Q2 (set) = $190+tax
Vortex rearsets (black) = $290 + tax
Motul synthetic motorcycle oil 4T = $35

Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #3024
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
^ good prices there... good job
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #3025
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
grr i am jelous. I hate having wierd tire sizes. Best deal for good rubber was from cycle gear. i searched cause they will price match, but if anyone can beat their prices let me know cause i havnt paid for it yet(in transit to their local location)

110/70-17 front - $93
130/70-17 rear - $99

but then they gonna tack on tax and its like $20 to mount each one plus at least 15 a tire for warranty so I am hoping to get out of there under $270.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #3026
Pasha

Quote:
grr i am jelous. I hate having wierd tire sizes. Best deal for good rubber was from cycle gear. i searched cause they will price match, but if anyone can beat their prices let me know cause i havnt paid for it yet(in transit to their local location)

110/70-17 front - $93
130/70-17 rear - $99

but then they gonna tack on tax and its like $20 to mount each one plus at least 15 a tire for warranty so I am hoping to get out of there under $270.
tire warranty?
I suggest you call up your local (non-commercial) motorcycle shop/dealers and see if they have any good deals, that way you eliminate shipping cost and probably get some sort of warranty that you wont have to pay for.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #3027
HerrSMiG

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3 SMG
Here's mine. I bought it as a basket case a loooooong time ago and rebuilt it with a lot of hidden goodies.
HerrSMiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #3028
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:

110/70-17 front - $93
130/70-17 rear - $99

what are your rim sizes, you may be able to run some more normal sizes without altering the bikes geometry too much
Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #3029
Pasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrSMiG View Post
Here's mine. I bought it as a basket case a loooooong time ago and rebuilt it with a lot of hidden goodies.
hidden goodies? do tell!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #3030
HerrSMiG

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by PashaDliniy View Post
hidden goodies? do tell!
Oh man, it's been awhile (15 years since I built it), but IIRC, Wiseco big bore kit, Crank lightened, balanced and polished by Falicon, K&N Billet Clutch Basket, kevlar clutch, Head ported and polished, Stage 3 Jet kit, K&N Exhaust.

I know there's more that I'm forgetting. I'd have to stare at it awhile to remember all of the blood, sweat and tears I've poured into it. It makes just over 150hp at the rear wheel, which isn't as impressive as it was when I built it back in '95. Still handfulls of fun. Damn I'm old.

Last edited by HerrSMiG; 10-19-2010 at 01:16 PM.
HerrSMiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #3031
wrighterjw10

My Ride: 2002 330ci
some of you guys are pretty well versed, so i'll ask my embarassing noobie question...

i dont ride very aggressively all the time. much of my normal riding includes highway.

my tire is kinda wearing funny. its almost like a flat part in the middle. not sure if this is 100% normal. i've seen it on other bikes, but just wanna know what kind of life is left on the tire.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #3032
motoracergabe

My Ride: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrSMiG View Post
that's awesome! i love the old sportbikes. hence, why i have the xx but your bike is pretty old. awesome though

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighterjw10 View Post
some of you guys are pretty well versed, so i'll ask my embarassing noobie question...

i dont ride very aggressively all the time. much of my normal riding includes highway.

my tire is kinda wearing funny. its almost like a flat part in the middle. not sure if this is 100% normal. i've seen it on other bikes, but just wanna know what kind of life is left on the tire.
that's normal for lots of highway riding. this happens to me every set of tires. just because i do long highway rides a lot. btw, how often do you check your tire pressure? as long as you are running the right pressures in your tires, you'll be fine.

whenever you get new tires, the bike is gonna feel awesome. no more having to get over that flat spot when leaning.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #3033
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
wow

Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #3034
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by PashaDliniy View Post
tire warranty?
I suggest you call up your local (non-commercial) motorcycle shop/dealers and see if they have any good deals, that way you eliminate shipping cost and probably get some sort of warranty that you wont have to pay for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
what are your rim sizes, you may be able to run some more normal sizes without altering the bikes geometry too much
this is from cycle gear. There is no shipping charge but in texas we have a sales tax. the warranty is not a manufacturers thing but a accident program from cycle gear. $15 a tire and if i blow it, or it gets cut, or w/e up to 75% tread they replace it completely for free, 50-75% its 75% of the cost of tire, and so on.

They want $258 mounted and 285 w/ warranty for two tires, mounted and balanced. according to my bike forum, larger sizes are only partial and not recommended, also would cost the same or more.

ohh well, there goes a good part of my paycheck, but at least i should be on the road by tmrw night.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #3035
mvrk10256

Quote:

also a lot of modern tires are two compound. the middle strip is a different (tougher) compound on the inside and stickier on the outside.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #3036
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:

It is something that occurs quite often, but I'd recommend changing the tire once a pronounced flat spot has developed. I'd advise you to buy a two-compound tire (..hard center) designed for road use. Michelin 2CT's come to mind.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 10-19-2010 at 02:31 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #3037
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Awesome save..........

M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:13 AM   #3038
Pasha

crazy save!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #3039
eee4666

My Ride: '02 325i / '07 600RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Michelin 2CT's come to mind.

I've done 1 track day with my 2ct's and still have them on for street and love them. Perfect on the track and for the streets IMO. A friend of mine is a track junkie and has been saying he really likes the Pilot Pures over the 2ct's which may be my next purchase as I hope to get out to the track more.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #3040
Snik
OEM ///Member

im not by any means a fan of michelins, but having finally tried pilot sports years later i will say this... for street riding, they wear VERY well. better than all the pirellis ive tried. which pretty much only excludes, thier slicks and the new rosso.

as for their handling, thats a whole other story and really down to personal preference.