E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #4221
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,604
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
i dont know about that $50 sh1t, i dont think its the complete kit. prolly just the tube, if you do that you risk throttle stick issues with the stretched cables if not done perfectly.

here's a lesson in sportbikes. ALL and i say ALL the japanese sportbikes are restricted.
600s usually to 175, 1000s to 186-189. even the busa and the 14, same sh1t.
they are restricted thru the ECU, once that dash displays x speed, the restrictor comes in and retard ignition. This started shortly after the Busa 1st came out and every jackasss out there, ran and bought or borrowed one to try to hit 200mph.

if you gear your bike, say -1/+2 you are about 20% over optimistic now, and since theyre generally 5-10% off from the factory your way off now, so you travel at say 70mph on the HWY that fuker will say like 95mph. so when u do sprockets yes you lose top speed. BUT what the dumb asses dont tell you is if you correct said speed with a speedohealer, suddenly your indicated speed is real, so that 186 u used to see when stock was really 180, maybe 178mph... then after the gear change you still see 186mph and then the restricter kicks in, so now youre really doing 169mph, so the jackasses are like, yeah man if you do sprockets, you lose top end.

ah no, you lose top end off a theoritical v max that you cant hit anyway, without about 200whp and a race ECU to remove the governor, but what is still very much attainable is the stock ecu v max, or 186/7mph...

and if you think im talking out my ass, ive hit it 4 times with my 04 1000RR on my lil secret road with said -1/+2 gearing.
at that gearing, the bike is still well within the reach of the electronic v max with most bikes, it will just pull harder there since the gearing allows more torque.

now once you start going above that common gearing, then you start to lose more and more top end, you can calulate it, or use one of them sites to do it.
if youre really concerned about top end, youd have a full exhaust, and the best electronics and a QS along with a HRC ecu on order. then you could really try to hit the 200 mark. but most people havent the slightest clue wtf theyre talking about when it comes to top speed on these bikes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #4222
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,604
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
oh and your 954 barely made the #s that your 2010 does on the dyno, you dont believe me, do a search for stock dyno charts.
a lot of it has to do with delivery and not necessarily being stronger at the low end.

and youre the 1st man ive ever heard haing trouble getting a 08+ 1000RR to wheelie. most guys i know say it wheelis too much.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #4223
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,776
My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
I want to get a lightweight battery myself.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #4224
howie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 954
Posts: 2,988
My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
oh and your 954 barely made the #s that your 2010 does on the dyno, you dont believe me, do a search for stock dyno charts.
a lot of it has to do with delivery and not necessarily being stronger at the low end.

and youre the 1st man ive ever heard haing trouble getting a 08+ 1000RR to wheelie. most guys i know say it wheelis too much.
well I've only rode 60 miles or so thus far and haven't tried it but once so I'll probably figure out what rpm/speed combo to wheelie at soon enough. I didn't want to beat on it too hard right off the bat. Just felt like it bogged down as soon as it got up in the air.

I ordered the Z-Bomb already, about to order the HRC Throttle kit when I find it online. The Galfers will probably be next plus pads. I'll really have to think on the chain n sprockets tho...I can't loose any top end and risk getting 8 up by an R1 on the highway (my friends' and room-mates to be exact ). Once I find someone who knows wtf they're doing, I'll get the PCx or fuel management you suggested from Bazzaz.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #4225
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,604
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
i speedohealer is like $80. you will gain top end from it as it removes the factory over optimistic error and makes it accurate based on gearing and tire size. if you get that and the quick throttle, you will smoke your boy in top end shoot outs. as you will cut out at actual 186 vs him at 186 minus margin of error AND you will have more throttle per twist with the quick turn throttle.

again try superbikesupply.com for the HRC unit, or yoyodyne for the adjustabke euro racing, ones.

id suggest you break it in as per the manual to ensure no oil burn issues. dont know if the 2010 have this sorted out or not.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #4226
SJTrance
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 25
My Ride: Ducati 900SS
Are you guys actually running these monsters on the street for top end speed? Also, some of the mods on a bike like this... are you really going to be seeing the benefits without tracking these bikes? Maybe I'm just a giant *****... lol.... if not with crashing and burning to death or killing someone, but at least with getting tickets. The cops here are ruthless.
__________________
SJTrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #4227
howie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 954
Posts: 2,988
My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
I hear ya now snik. Sounds like a plan. So I'll keep looking for the throttle kit cuz superbikesupply wants $95 and I've seen them for $65 elsewhere (full kit). I'll see how it feels after those couple mods and then decide on the sprockets + healer.

you're the ssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!ttttttttt snik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post
Are you guys actually running these monsters on the street for top end speed? Also, some of the mods on a bike like this... are you really going to be seeing the benefits without tracking these bikes? Maybe I'm just a giant *****... lol.... if not with crashing and burning to death or killing someone, but at least with getting tickets. The cops here are ruthless.
uuuuuuuuummmmm........sometimes........

We run 160mph constantly here, that's just a given. We top it out every so often on the late nights coming back home from riding. Usually on i95 or i595. The cops can't keep up, but occasionally we do have to "avoid" being pulled over. We actually had quite the episode with a state tropper 3 thursdays ago that I haven't shared here for fear of getting flamed.

Last edited by howie; 06-14-2011 at 04:39 PM.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #4228
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 850
My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post
Are you guys actually running these monsters on the street for top end speed? Also, some of the mods on a bike like this... are you really going to be seeing the benefits without tracking these bikes? Maybe I'm just a giant *****... lol.... if not with crashing and burning to death or killing someone, but at least with getting tickets. The cops here are ruthless.
Yes, yes and yes.

It's South Florida where every bit of turnpike is a 2 mile runway...

Howie, I'm drafting your will after you install these mods, but before you go ride.
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #4229
howie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 954
Posts: 2,988
My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Yes, yes and yes.

It's South Florida where every bit of turnpike is a 2 mile runway...

Howie, I'm drafting your will after you install these mods, but before you go ride.
that's not nice, but I understand My dad actually called me and asked for my ssn # when I bought my 954 so he could put life insurance on me. Usually didn't hear from him much otherwise

I can't help but imagine for a split second what would happen if I fell when I'm at those 160+ mph speeds, but I have to stay focused on the road so I tend to block those thoughts out and "burn rubber baby, not your soul!"
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #4230
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 850
My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
that's not nice, but I understand My dad actually called me and asked for my ssn # when I bought my 954 so he could put life insurance on me. Usually didn't hear from him much otherwise

I can't help but imagine for a split second what would happen if I fell when I'm at those 160+ mph speeds, but I have to stay focused on the road so I tend to block those thoughts out and "burn rubber baby, not your soul!"
I mean, I don't ride expecting to go down, but I try to take precautions...its just being practical. Do you post on soflasportbikes? seems like every week someone goes down...
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #4231
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I hear ya now snik. Sounds like a plan. So I'll keep looking for the throttle kit cuz superbikesupply wants $95 and I've seen them for $65 elsewhere (full kit). I'll see how it feels after those couple mods and then decide on the sprockets + healer.

you're the ssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!ttttttttt snik!



uuuuuuuuummmmm........sometimes........

We run 160mph constantly here, that's just a given. We top it out every so often on the late nights coming back home from riding. Usually on i95 or i595. The cops can't keep up, but occasionally we do have to "avoid" being pulled over. We actually had quite the episode with a state tropper 3 thursdays ago that I haven't shared here for fear of getting flamed.
Lol you have me curious do tell.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:14 PM   #4232
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,604
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
like i said Howie, the kit brad sells at sbksupply is a COMPLETE kit, new cables, housing, tube, everything. what youre seeing for $65 is just a frikin tube. if you buy that, you risk your throttle sticking sine the cable would essentially be incorrect.

$95 is a good price. BUY IT.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #4233
howie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 954
Posts: 2,988
My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
like i said Howie, the kit brad sells at sbksupply is a COMPLETE kit, new cables, housing, tube, everything. what youre seeing for $65 is just a frikin tube. if you buy that, you risk your throttle sticking sine the cable would essentially be incorrect.

$95 is a good price. BUY IT.
lol yessir! Seriously tho, I saw the whole kit for $65 not just the tube. My wifi was out at the house so I haven't searched again.

Last edited by howie; 06-15-2011 at 01:29 PM.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #4234
Ghostie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 584
My Ride: What else?
We had a guy on the Monster forum who rode way too fast on the streets all the time and constantly talked about it......just about everyone cautioned him and told him to take it to the track, but he vehemently defended his riding style and continued to push the limits on the road...... we found out he died a few weeks ago in a nasty crash

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=49202.0

Obviously our hobby is dangerous by nature, and I for one don't like being lectured by non-riders, but when even your fellow riders think you're overdoing it, you should probably listen

It can happen to anyone
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #4235
rohde88
Registered User
 
rohde88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 850
My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
We had a guy on the Monster forum who rode way too fast on the streets all the time and constantly talked about it......just about everyone cautioned him and told him to take it to the track, but he vehemently defended his riding style and continued to push the limits on the road...... we found out he died a few weeks ago in a nasty crash

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=49202.0

Obviously our hobby is dangerous by nature, and I for one don't like being lectured by non-riders, but when even your fellow riders think you're overdoing it, you should probably listen

It can happen to anyone
Yea, suffocating because of mud sounds pretty nasty. Was he mostly just riding twisties by himself?
__________________
-Ron
rohde88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #4236
Ghostie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 584
My Ride: What else?
yep mostly solo that I know of.....he'd had a number of serious crashes in the past too (including one a week before)
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #4237
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: In the cockpit of an M4!
Posts: 1,776
My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
Yikes! RIP, but dude should have toned it down a LONG time ago.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #4238
Pasha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 413
My Ride: E30
Damn, RIP!
Kind of worries me knowing that I do a lot of solo riding... :-/

Steve! Any news?
__________________

Last edited by Pasha; 06-15-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Pasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #4239
Snik
OEM ///Member
 
Snik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Around SJ AFB, NC
Posts: 20,604
My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Running from cops is lame and stupid. And I'm nit being cocky. I used to do it.
It's not worth it.
2/3 odds against you. 1 chance u crash, 1 chance u get caught, 1 chance you get away.
Do the math. It's not worth it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
^^^ do you spend all your free time on two wheels?
______________________________________
The Snikster posted sexy wiminz here
Do you ride a sportbike?
Do you have a question about Jamaica? Ask?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 PM   #4240
howie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 954
Posts: 2,988
My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Running from cops is lame and stupid. And I'm nit being cocky. I used to do it.
It's not worth it.
2/3 odds against you. 1 chance u crash, 1 chance u get caught, 1 chance you get away.
Do the math. It's not worth it.
I hear ya snik and 9/10 I'm not running, but that scenario was either jail or run. I've taken a chance once before on my ATV and stopped after my buddy took off running...guess who got stuck with that felony charge...for stopping and not snitching...!?
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use