E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #5021
Pasha

My Ride: E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I recommend starting in the n00b group too. If you're mid or advanced group material, the org will make the appropriate changes (..usually).
+1.. especially if it's your first track day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
we do have turns!!!! And I'm not parking in none of them. I might not be as fast as the everyday track riders, but I don't feel like putting around behind some noobs either. I'll go in group 2 or 3...not 1
Howie...
Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #5022
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
no offense Howie, but people with that type of attitude piss me off....we get them in Mountain Bike racing all the time. they'll show up for the first race and want mix it up with the big boys (only to get shelled off the back within the first few mins....or worse still they get all cross-eyed and cause a massive pile up)

Beginner racer does not equal "beginner rider", so drop the ego and line up with the rest of the newbies. if you're good enough, trust me you'll be upgraded automatically.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #5023
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
I recommend starting in the n00b group too. If you're mid or advanced group material, the org will make the appropriate changes (..usually).
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
we do have turns!!!! And I'm not parking in none of them. I might not be as fast as the everyday track riders, but I don't feel like putting around behind some noobs either. I'll go in group 2 or 3...not 1
Are you coming to the August trackday at Homestead? I haven't signed up yet, but will if you're going. Is Tony coming? He was in novice ya know. Ask him how fast some people were flying in novice.

The no passing is only the first session, after that its open season. FTD is good, the control riders will notice if you're fast enough. I will talk to Tony West personally if you need to be bumped after the 2-3-4th session. Finally, they say no passing int he corners, but in the classroom they'll tell you its ok to pass way outside if the person is crawling...
Old 07-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #5024
Pasha

Steve...
Old 07-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #5025
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and RRS (sold!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasha View Post

Steve...

That dude is legit!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #5026
rohde88

damn. I bet he can bust a U in the middle of gridlocked traffic. Note to self: don't lane split away from moto cops!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:33 PM   #5027
Pasha

moto cops wouldnt catch up to a narrow sportbike in the some of the narrow paths that lane splitting offers us, in most cases.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #5028
M3Inline6

Quote:
moto cops wouldnt catch up to a narrow sportbike in the some of the narrow paths that lane splitting offers us, in most cases.

....Motor cops like to "buzz" riders. It's a good tactic, and it minimizes runners.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #5029
Pasha

Quote:
....Motor cops like to "buzz" riders. It's a good tactic, and it minimizes runners.

Explain or ban!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #5030
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Buzz?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #5031
Ghostie

I'm guessing a "friendly" nudge on the rear wheel
Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #5032
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
ya also curious about le buzzing.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #5033
rohde88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
I prefer to hit my buddy's kill switch right before the light turns green.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #5034
Pasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
I prefer to hit my buddy's kill switch right before the light turns green.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #5035
M3Inline6

Quote:

Explain or ban!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Buzz?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
ya also curious about le buzzing.

The "buzz" is basically a technique used to mentally startle a rider and minimize any attempts to run. I'll paint a picture:

Let's assume that a motorcyclist is traveling at 90mph in the number one lane. A Motor officer traveling in the number two lane paces the motorcyclist to determine the rate of speed. Once determining that he is going to cite the rider, the Motor officer will "fly by" or "buzz" the rider at 110mph, for example, to startle and simultaneously block the path of travel while slowing down. The element of surprise is the key here. This is especially effective when the motorcyclist is cruising along the thoroughfare uninhibited by traffic congestion (..and in many cases not paying attention; it's what I call "tunnel riding").

It's common knowledge that patrol vehicles aren't fast (..relatively speaking), nor are police spec motorcycles. Just about any modern sportbike can outrun a police issue motorcycle, so policing techniques must be used to gain the upper hand.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 07-20-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #5036
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
What's governed speed of their bikes?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #5037
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
What's governed speed of their bikes?

The answer to this question depends on what you plan to do with the information.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #5038
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Are you coming to the August trackday at Homestead? I haven't signed up yet, but will if you're going. Is Tony coming? He was in novice ya know. Ask him how fast some people were flying in novice.

The no passing is only the first session, after that its open season. FTD is good, the control riders will notice if you're fast enough. I will talk to Tony West personally if you need to be bumped after the 2-3-4th session. Finally, they say no passing int he corners, but in the classroom they'll tell you its ok to pass way outside if the person is crawling...
Quote:
no offense Howie, but people with that type of attitude piss me off....we get them in Mountain Bike racing all the time. they'll show up for the first race and want mix it up with the big boys (only to get shelled off the back within the first few mins....or worse still they get all cross-eyed and cause a massive pile up)

Beginner racer does not equal "beginner rider", so drop the ego and line up with the rest of the newbies. if you're good enough, trust me you'll be upgraded automatically.
I hate u all... I haven't signed up. Tony said he's going just to spectate cuz his boy is racing so that's what my plan was too. I really wanna hit up PBIR and I guess I'll start in the baby group but I guarantee you I won't be happy till I'm out there with the big boys Tony started in the baby group because he needs to be in that group. He just recently got his bike, already laid it down and has about 1/98th the amount of seat time that I've had. I rode with him a few times and he's truly a n00b.

On another note, last night leaving Gatsbys at 2am I saw a tow truck and a few cops around 595 E - Turnpike S bend and there was a bike strapped on its side on the back of the toe truck lookin like optimus prime and the crew had it's way with it. Hope the rider is ok...that's a bad stretch of road when it's wet.

Quote:
The "buzz" is basically a technique used to mentally startle a rider and minimize any attempts to run. I'll paint a picture:

Let's assume that a motorcyclist is traveling at 90mph in the number one lane. A Motor officer traveling in the number two lane paces the motorcyclist to determine the rate of speed. Once determining that he is going to cite the rider, the Motor officer will "fly by" or "buzz" the rider at 110mph, for example, to startle and simultaneously block the path of travel while slowing down. The element of surprise is the key here. This is especially effective when the motorcyclist is cruising along the thoroughfare uninhibited by traffic congestion (..and in many cases not paying attention; it's what I call "tunnel riding").

It's common knowledge that patrol vehicles aren't fast (..relatively speaking), nor are police spec motorcycles. Just about any modern sportbike can outrun a police issue motorcycle, so policing techniques must be used to gain the upper hand.
well if you're on a sports bike and you're riding so oblivious to the world that a motorcycle cop can tail you and buzz you, you deserve everthing you get! This is the main reason I keep my mirrors on my bikes while everyone around is screamin' "take them off, they're ugly!"
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #5039
jmejiaa

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:

Dainese is a bit above my budget lol.. I love their gear!
Old 07-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #5040
Ghostie

Quote:

Had a similar experience with a moto cop on the highway last year, lucky for me I was heads up and watching my mirrors.....I had just worked my way through a group of cars and now had clear road ahead of me, so I opened it up a bit to put some distance on the cars.

After a mile or two, I noticed a distinct set of headlights also pulling away from the cars and gaining on me very quickly. I could tell it was big bike, but not sure if it was a Harley or a BMW (Which APD Moto cops use) so I shut it down right away and pulled in the middle lane. Few secs later I confirmed it was a cop and figured I was screwed.......he just zoomed by me, slowed down for a sec and gave me the "slow down" hand signal, then zoomed off!