E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #5621
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Glad to hear you are ok.

I would like to ask an offshoot question though. As I have been getting used to this bike I noticed that the force required to turn is way different from the ninja. On that bike any turn can be managed by applying a little pressure to that side handle bar.

On the GSXR I have to push it hard, and get on the throttle a bit to keep my line in tighter turns like that. I also noticed this is very dependant on suspension setting. Also If i am sitting up (as much as I can) it requires much more force than if I get down lower on the bike and lean in more.

Is this normal due to the sportbike layout(more weight up front)?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #5622
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
You want to throw a rod in the middle of 95 when you're *hypothetically* running from po po?
by then the bike will be warm if it's gonna throw a rod it will be when its cold at 12k rpm a block from my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
so what do you guys think about the Continental Conti-Motion Tires? they seem to be priced well and have excellent reviews. Remember I am not going to the track on these but the tires on the GSXR are on their last legs, and I dont like that.
Michelin period

Quote:
Glad to hear you are ok.
This
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #5623
SJTrance

My Ride: Ducati 900SS
On surprising decrease radius turns, I keep my eye on the place I want to go, lean further off and even more forward towards the front of the bike, give it even more gas, grit my teeth, pucker my bunghole while keeping my arms relaxed.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #5624
mvrk10256

So today I got cut off on an empty street heading home. Out of nowhere this guy just jumps oin my lane and hits his breaks. On a completely empty street. I hit my brakes, but it was too much bike lowsided. Yes i know i am a squid. And I wont ever ride without gear again. Not sure about the bikes damaged. Just got out of ER. I fvcked up. I know it. Since this is the internet here are pictures.

Hopefully the bike is fixable. The skin will grow back. Guy drove off. Time to send more money, and more time.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Summary:
Everything is more or less fine.
Lost skin on both forearms, lower palms, some scrapes on knees.

Also smacked my knee pretty hard.

Otherwise I walked away. Helmet saved my life.

Last edited by mvrk10256; 10-17-2011 at 11:14 PM.
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #5625
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Dude! Glad you're ok, but riding without gear!? Yikes!

I ride in boots, jacket and helmet and usually in jeans. I'm thinking I should wear some protection for my legs as well. How fast were you going?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #5626
Mayo

My Ride: CBR600RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Dude! Glad you're ok, but riding without gear!? Yikes!

I ride in boots, jacket and helmet and usually in jeans. I'm thinking I should wear some protection for my legs as well. How fast were you going?
Is that not you in the previous page riding in sneakers and shorts with no shirt?

I always have minimum: helmet, jacket, gloves.

Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #5627
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I do...I have warranty
its a Honda, they might tell u some dumb sh1t and deny you. ive seen it happen before. And them new ones are alreadt dodgy with their oil burning issue.

Quote:
so what do you guys think about the Continental Conti-Motion Tires
i dunno, those brave enough to try em, say theyre good to go. i know a few cats run their slicks at the track, and have o no issues. also seems like drag race guys like em too, all in all, i havent heard much bad about em come to think of it. im just scared to try em, cause their car tires are just mediocre.

shinkos are garbage. no side grip. thats all im gonna say about em.

Quote:
My question is, how do you handle a turn like this where you are certain that you are way to wide? I think I could have pulled it off if I keep looking through the turn but my attention shifted toward a bail point (inexperience kicked in)..
thjats it, you just have to commit. thats what they mean when they say commit to a turn. u went oh snap and looked to the grass, and guess where u went?
Happens to the best of us, caught myself watching gusy fukup at the track yesterday(mon) and what happens, i start fukin up too.

i mean some times you can chop the throttle, but that loads the front, and depending on how that bike is set up or the turn, you MAY OVERLOAD THE FRONT, same with brake, some bikes turn better on the gas, so some bike you would have to maintain the throttle and just commit to make that turn and yank that mofo over.
At pace, you just dip you head in and down and that sthe best way to tighten any line without adjusting the throttle in any way. Watch Casey stoner, he does it EVERY single corner you see him trying to hide his face behind his wrist, hes dipping that head low, bringing that weight inside and low, and it just makes the bike turn.
For a downhill turn you want to be rolling on the gas actually, because a neutral/maintenance throttle, tends to load the front thats already loaded, with the downhill tipping of the bike, and turning. So youre already using up a lot of that $1 that the front has, youre already over 75 cents, so u want to roll on the throttle and shift the weight back and give back a few cents to that $1 so you can spend more on turning.

Glad youre ok tho, thats most important, and the bike not broken up much.

Quote:
BTW, decreasing radius crashes are pretty common occurrence in motorcycling
yep, we stop committing to the turn and start looking where we dont want to end up, and u know how the rest goes.

Quote:
I would like to ask an offshoot question though. As I have been getting used to this bike I noticed that the force required to turn is way different from the ninja. On that bike any turn can be managed by applying a little pressure to that side handle bar.

On the GSXR I have to push it hard, and get on the throttle a bit to keep my line in tighter turns like that. I also noticed this is very dependant on suspension setting. Also If i am sitting up (as much as I can) it requires much more force than if I get down lower on the bike and lean in more.

Is this normal due to the sportbike layout(more weight up front)?
ninja was much lighter. smaller crank, less centrifugal force, not as fast, easier, and more forgiving.

The 750 is less forgiving. Then who knows what the suspension is like, a lot of these guys like to lower these bikes and then they steer like a school bus. Is the suspension all in factory setting, is there any fork showing through the top triple? is the rear link stock.

The after u sort that, then u gonna pick up on worn or shot suspension, and like a car will affect handling and grip.
So u should have to rice it much different, yes a lil more effort will be required, but it shouldnt be like uggghhhh, straining to turn the mofo at the same pace u were just like laddeeedaa on the 500.

Quote:
Hopefully the bike is fixable. The skin will grow back. Guy drove off. Time to send more money, and more time.
damn! well, bright side, early lesson learned,= buy some damn gear and USE IT!
Glad u didnt get them plastics yet huh.
ALSO. old brittle hard tires, on old suspension is a recipe for lockinh up the front. stick a thumb fingernail in the tire as hard as u can, then watch the mark ur nail leaves. If its not vanished in a few seconds, say 8 or so max. u might wanna invest in some new rubber that still acts like rubber, rather than plastic.

OK, im done, my trackday was awesome, sorry u guys wrecked, ttyl.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 AM   #5628
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
Is that not you in the previous page riding in sneakers and shorts with no shirt?

I always have minimum: helmet, jacket, gloves.
LOL, NO! Just a pic I ran into that I thought everyone would find amusing.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #5629
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
I noticed that the force required to turn is way different from the ninja. On that bike any turn can be managed by applying a little pressure to that side handle bar.
Damn glad you're ok. People need to stop crashing!!!

Wear gloves mmmmmmkay?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #5630
mvrk10256

ya. i am not sure when/if i will be getting back on a bike, but if i do you can believe i will be wearing gear.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #5631
xxcosmicxx
The OG Black Roof

My Ride: Long Gone
What do you guys figure I could sell a 2011 Kawasaki 650r with 19 miles for? There is a guy who wants to trade me his bike + $$$ for my car. It looks like MSRP is $7999. Is it reasonable to expect $6500 from the bike, or a bit more? Any help would be great.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #5632
rohde88

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
it shouldnt be like uggghhhh, straining to turn the mofo at the same pace u were just like laddeeedaa on the 500.ttyl.
sig worthy
Old 10-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #5633
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcosmicxx View Post
What do you guys figure I could sell a 2011 Kawasaki 650r with 19 miles for? There is a guy who wants to trade me his bike + $$$ for my car. It looks like MSRP is $7999. Is it reasonable to expect $6500 from the bike, or a bit more? Any help would be great.
not sure, depends on your area...have you checked on craigslist?

I would also find come Kawasaki forums and peruse their classified sections, you could also just ask there
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #5634
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Glad you're ok mvrk, and I'm sure you've learned the importance of gear...hopefully any new riders lurking in this thread see this as well
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #5635
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
ya. i am not sure when/if i will be getting back on a bike, but if i do you can believe i will be wearing gear.
Already spooked huh?
tell u what, fix it, heal up, and get some gear, go do a proper riding school if you havent already. If you have, go do a higher level, or do a race school, and become enlightened on how to really manage these machines.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #5636
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Already spooked huh?
tell u what, fix it, heal up, and get some gear, go do a proper riding school if you havent already. If you have, go do a higher level, or do a race school, and become enlightened on how to really manage these machines.
its not the rash. or the gear.

its the fact that ha, say a suburban been in the lane next to me - i would bedead. a leather jacket and gloves are not good if you get run over. its just a little unnerving.

I know myself. I doubt i could stay away from bikes for long.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #5637
rohde88

Quote:

its the fact that ha, say a suburban been in the lane next to me - i would bedead. a leather jacket and gloves are not good if you get run over. its just a little unnerving.

nothing has really changed from when you were riding the 500. Leather does help in all types of accidents. May not save you from the freak death, but could mean the difference between bruised hip and broken pelvis.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #5638
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
nothing has really changed from when you were riding the 500. Leather does help in all types of accidents. May not save you from the freak death, but could mean the difference between bruised hip and broken pelvis.
well i doubt the 500 would havelocked up as quickly. byt your right.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #5639
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:

Now you see why im a track addict and i try to get everyone to hit th track pipe.
Truth is tho, even tho now i dont have a street bike, i plan on getting one soon and still miss it to this day. You just have to keep your head on that swivel man, be prepared for all these knuckleheads. If you dont, thats your ass on the ground.
Quote:
+13014370357092753487580375.
Nothings changed bro, if anything, youre more visible, bigger, louder bike.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #5640
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
well i doubt the 500 would havelocked up as quickly. byt your right.
the 500 doesnt have as powerful brakes as the 750, so that goes back to you.
plus, the 500 tires i would bet, were probably newer and in better condition.
See my post about brittle tires up top.

Again comes back to a more forgiving bike. Its like you went from a E36 318 to a E46 M3. yeah, it does EVERYTHING better, quicker stronger faster, because it has to, it was made that way. And you cant drive both of them the exact same way, because the M3 will bite you in the ass, if youre not careful.

Keep your head up man, chalk it up as a lesson learned, every dynamc of the 500 you thought you knew, multiply it by 50 on the 750 and you will be fine. less fogiving bike will require more delicacy, and precision with the inputs.

One was designed to commute, and for beginners, one was designed for going to the racetrack and just so happend you can commute on it.

Last edited by Snik; 10-18-2011 at 01:36 PM.