E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #5701
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
Took my gixxer 750 out for a last ride before winter hits and my rectifier voltage regulator catches on fire. Just before this happened i cranked it up on 3rd gear pretty high, then just as i came at a light i start smelling smoke, then saw smoke coming from volt. reg. Stopped for a bit it was still smoking. Started it up again (was few lights from my house) rode for 1 km and still smoked as i rode on, it started shooting flames out. Dam thing was on fire! This time i stop i was probably 500m from my house. Thought i let cool down a bit but it wouldnt start anymore. Nothing would come on at this time, abs. nothing. Thanks to this guy that saw me and offered to truck it to my house. Now i have all winter to take it apart and try and fix. I think all my fuses burned at least the big one.

Anyone with a gixxer had this happen? I know i need a new volt reg. probly from a 1000, but what else? Where to buy a good one? Its a 2007 suz gsxr 750

Bemwe_03i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #5702
Loffie

My Ride: Bmw 335i xdrive
Usually on my r1200gs

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer
Loffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #5703
SJTrance

My Ride: Ducati 900SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
they didn't put a degree on it...they just told me if it hurts don't do it and put me in a sling. Not too serious I guess. I was headed to work through construction zone, went to merge onto the highway (early) from the on-ramp and as I came around the truck in front of me I saw 2 of those waist-high construction cones/barrells with the sandbags inside a few feet in front of me sitting side by side. Nothing I could do but try and hang on. I did my best to lean back toward the right lane where I came from but I was too close and hit the one on the right...happened so fast I didn't even have time to get the "oh ****" feeling eventho I said it to myself in my head. Hit it head on, not sure what the bike did but I flipped over the handle bars landing square on my shoulder with my right hip to follow suit. Slid a little while alongside my bike, came to a stop at the same time (luckily it barely nudged me) and sat up to evaluate my injuries. Didn't feel much pain anywhere so I jumped up and attempted to pick up my bike. As I grabbed both sides of the handle bar and pulled up on them, a SHARP pain struck my shoulder and I dropped it right away. I called my buddies to come pick me up and spent the rest of the day in an alcohol and pill enduced blurr. Went to ER late at night (shorter lines) and was in and out in a less than 2 hours.
Very sorry to hear, man. Heal up and go to physical therapy regardless what they tell you. I've treated quite a few separated shoulders and it's all about a gradual strengthening process.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #5704
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Hey guys,

I'm going to be looking to get myself a sports bike in the near future. I've never owned one before and I'm honestly not immensely familiar with them in general. I've ridden dirt bikes often throughout my life, however, I understand a sport bike is of a different nature and obviously more dangerous. I'm going to take the CMSP RiderCourse to obtain my M1 license and hopefully become more familiar with riding a bike on public roads.

Since I am a novice rider of any sort... I just want to ask the riders of here is you guys have any tips or advice for a beginning rider? Anything is welcome.

As for what kind of bike I'm looking to get. I'm looking towards a 08-10 YZF-R6 or a Ninja 650R. Any opinions or criticism on these? I understand individual preference plays a huge factor when selecting a bike, because each is built differently and feels and handle accordingly.

Thanks!

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:48 PM   #5705
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
From personal experiance i suggest getting a 500 like my old one. enough power to get in trouble but much smoother than your average sport bike.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #5706
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm going to be looking to get myself a sports bike in the near future. I've never owned one before and I'm honestly not immensely familiar with them in general. I've ridden dirt bikes often throughout my life, however, I understand a sport bike is of a different nature and obviously more dangerous. I'm going to take the CMSP RiderCourse to obtain my M1 license and hopefully become more familiar with riding a bike on public roads.

Since I am a novice rider of any sort... I just want to ask the riders of here is you guys have any tips or advice for a beginning rider? Anything is welcome.

As for what kind of bike I'm looking to get. I'm looking towards a 08-10 YZF-R6 or a Ninja 650R. Any opinions or criticism on these? I understand individual preference plays a huge factor when selecting a bike, because each is built differently and feels and handle accordingly.

Thanks!
Read this entire thread from beginning to end- there is some great advice from experienced riders here.

Cliff notes: buy small, buy used, take course, wear gear.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #5707
mvrk10256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
Read this entire thread from beginning to end- there is some great advice from experienced riders here.

Cliff notes: buy small, buy used, take course, wear gear.
+1 or else you end up like this:
Old 10-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #5708
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks!
Out of those 2, the 650r would be better suited to a new rider, whatever you get, make sure you get safety gear (Helmet, jacket, pants)
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #5709
Laylow

My Ride: Honda
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47265
Cliff Notes:
Quote:
If you want to ask about an "R" bike as a first bike PLEASE do not post ANOTHER new thread about it, just read this, and ask a question, myself or someone else will be glad to answer your questions.

I've been seeing a lot of posts in this forum lately asking about success stories for "R" bikes, and "Im new but I got a gsx-r 1000, is this okay?"... "Is it okay to buy a gsx-r 600 as a first bike"

No. Plain and simple. The stickies in this forum offer you a wealth of information on why this is a bad choice. If you don't feel like reading them, lets break it down for you.

1.) Speed: I'm starting with this one because it's the most popular. Even a gsx-r 600 will out-accelerate, out-turn, and out-brake all but the most heavily modified sports cars (we aren't talking civic here, we're talking like modified corvette, or a modified viper, or maybe a 700hp streetcar). I hear many people saying they may get bored on these bikes. You won't get bored, ever. And it is very difficult to master these bikes by learning on them, they are just too much bike.

2.) Brakes: The brakes on any R bike are race-type brakes. They are made for setting up into corners while travelling very fast. This means, on the street, when you grab even a little bit of brake (as a new rider you make mistakes) you will lock up the wheels. Hope you enjoyed the ride, because it's over.

3.) Throttle: I hear people saying if they are responsible and control the throttle, they will be okay. They will only turn it a quarter turn... Hate to tell you, but a quarter turn is almost if not all the way full-throttle. We are talking 1/16ths of a turn or less for regular acceleration. You have to literally turn this thing by quarter centimeters if you dont want to accelerate hard.

4.) Cost: Insurance, initial investment, and repairs. SVS Posted something about one right-side lower fairing being ~450$. This means you can spend upwards of 1500$ for a low-speed crash. Imagine what happens when you highside and need to replace fairings, clutch/brake lever, bar-ends, etc etc.

5.) Responsiveness: The clip-ons ("handlebars") have a very very limited range of motion compared to what you are used to (if you ride dirt, atv, bicycle, etc). They travel a VERY short arc. This, in turn, means that R-type bikes respond to millimeters in inputs. They are designed to do EXACTLY what they are told, and if you are telling it to do something wrong, it will do it, and it can kill you. These bikes are made to be very nimble with a small input to the clip-ons.

6.) Learning: It is so much easier to learn on a slower bike. You can learn position, throttle control, clutch control, shifting techniques, emergency control situations, collision avoidance, and turn control. On an R bike, you will be watching the throttle, the brakes, and the input you are giving to the bike. You won't be able to leave that as second nature and learn how to whip that bike around.

In conclusion, it doesn't matter if you have ridden dirt for 10 years (I rode dirt for 8 years before I got my first bike; and it is TOTALLY different) or have driven the lingelfelter corvette to taiwan and back. You don't have enough experience for sport bike riding. They are just too powerful. You are not going to be able to deal with it, and you will be a worse rider than you could have been. Everyone thinks they are the exception, you aren't.. Believe me.. If anyone is the exception, they are already professional racers.

I hope I can sway some of you, I know you will do what you want in the end, but know that you are making a big mistake, one that may cost you your life.
Laylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:09 AM   #5710
Bemwe_03i

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3 smg IR
Ninja 500r(ex500) was my first, good one to start off

Sent from my LG-P500h using Bimmer
Old 10-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #5711
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
at Driven a corvette to Taiwan. ( wo ai tai mei)
Old 10-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #5712
XPLCTBMW

My Ride: is soldddd
Send a message via AIM to XPLCTBMW
just put my 1000 up... god i hatee winter
Old 10-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #5713
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLCTBMW View Post
just put my 1000 up... god i hatee winter
thats pretty early no? I used to ride until at least Thanksgiving--spring comes late upstate, but bundle up with a balaclava and I used to ride in 40 deg temps...

Im happy to report our high was 81, sunny and my riding is going up!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #5714
XPLCTBMW

My Ride: is soldddd
Send a message via AIM to XPLCTBMW
we are lucky if it doesnt snow in halloween up here haha. i tend to deal with the colder temps at the beginning of the season.

Last edited by XPLCTBMW; 10-23-2011 at 09:33 AM.
XPLCTBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #5715
howie

My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
this

heal up Howie....and try not to drink alcohol while on pain meds, your liver will thank you some day

mvrk, DPD did their jobs, don't blame them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post
Very sorry to hear, man. Heal up and go to physical therapy regardless what they tell you. I've treated quite a few separated shoulders and it's all about a gradual strengthening process.
tnx I'll try
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #5716
chris10492

My Ride: 14 Camaro 06 R1
I ride up to the first week of december, last year i went to Dec. 6th SO F#CKING COLD lol i think it was like 24 degrees F i couldnt feel my fingers and my my nose was all runny not the best feeling, although this year its going to be earlier
chris10492 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #5717
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
R.I.P Marco Simoncelli. the world will never see your full potential. a terrible loss.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #5718
mvrk10256

ordereed gear and tires
Old 10-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #5719
Pasha

My Ride: E30
My first part has arrived!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #5720
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
I rented (I was at the beach and had money) a GSX-R 600 Alstare Edition once. It was much more forgiving than what I had expected. Then again, I had previous experience on motorcycles, but it was the first time I was able to actually take a sport bike out on longer trips. The only other sportbike experience I had was in a parking lot. Prior to that, I rode a 1985 Honda Magna 700.

I'm looking into a Honda 599 that might be for sale soon. Not too much, but not too little. I'd really like a GSX-R 600 in the end, though. It was more than fast enough, handled nicely, and was just fun. I wish BMW made a sport bike with their 800cc motor.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 10-24-2011 at 12:32 PM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote