E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #6661
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Post pics when you get it.

For sure man!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #6662
jsur

My Ride: is now my cousin's
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjskalet View Post
Both the rsv4 and the rsv1000r. I have always loved the styling on both the ducatti and aprilia superbikes so I wanted to know how much of a difference it would be from say a Yamaha r1.

I'm not looking to buy one any time soon. I was just asking in general if anyone has rode either of them and how they compare. I mean obviously a lot is dependent on the rider themselves but just wanted opinions on what they thought of it and is it really worth spending that much money one when you can get a r1 for a lot less.

Edit: the main reason I ask is I am almost done with school and I had to sell my gsxr before I went to school so I just ride my dads r6 when I get the chance and now I'm thinking about the next bike to get.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
My friend got an 848 at the same time I bought my bike. We swapped a lot so I got some good seat time on it. The ergos are definitely harsher than most bike I've been on. It's got some front shudder when you take off and redline comes quick. Parts are crazy expensive but you have a wide selection. Now the good. For me, it is one of the best looking bikes on the road and nothing beats that Ducati sound, especially with a set of Termi's on it. It also rides lighter than it feels, if that makes sense. There's bikes out there that ride better but Duc's have that certain charm about em.
jsur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #6663
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
why do people think Termignoni exhausts are so nice. theyre fukin garbage. lol. scum of exhausts. lol.
That sh1t on the Yamaha GP bikes is just a sticker. Theyre made in Japan.
cant say i dont see why, i was once ignorant to this, then someone made me knowledgeable.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #6664
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
why do people think Termignoni exhausts are so nice. theyre fukin garbage. lol. scum of exhausts. lol.
That sh1t on the Yamaha GP bikes is just a sticker. Theyre made in Japan.
cant say i dont see why, i was once ignorant to this, then someone made me knowledgeable.
Agreed! Termi's are the worst (...at least the consumer grade stuff is). Bad quality, shitty welds, no durability.....all for an inflated price.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-02-2012 at 02:18 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #6665
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsur View Post
My friend got an 848 at the same time I bought my bike. We swapped a lot so I got some good seat time on it. The ergos are definitely harsher than most bike I've been on. It's got some front shudder when you take off and redline comes quick. Parts are crazy expensive but you have a wide selection. Now the good. For me, it is one of the best looking bikes on the road and nothing beats that Ducati sound, especially with a set of Termi's on it. It also rides lighter than it feels, if that makes sense. There's bikes out there that ride better but Duc's have that certain charm about em.
As a long-time 848 rider/racer, I agree with most of what you said. I don't think that my bike rode harsh, but then again I also don't think that an M3 rides harsh either (..your average driver would disagree).

Long live my baby....

Old 04-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #6666
Snik
OEM ///Member

ey bro, how tall is you, and what did u ride before the 848?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #6667
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjskalet View Post
Both the rsv4 and the rsv1000r. I have always loved the styling on both the ducatti and aprilia superbikes so I wanted to know how much of a difference it would be from say a Yamaha r1.

I'm not looking to buy one any time soon. I was just asking in general if anyone has rode either of them and how they compare. I mean obviously a lot is dependent on the rider themselves but just wanted opinions on what they thought of it and is it really worth spending that much money one when you can get a r1 for a lot less.

Edit: the main reason I ask is I am almost done with school and I had to sell my gsxr before I went to school so I just ride my dads r6 when I get the chance and now I'm thinking about the next bike to get.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
They are nothing alike. The motor characteristics are obviously different, and that means that you have to ride the bike "differently". Some people just don't gel well with a twin.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #6668
M3Inline6

Quote:
ey bro, how tall is you, and what did u ride before the 848?
5'10"! I had an '07 GSXR before the 848, and my 848 was easier to tool on than my GSXR. Night and day difference between the two, and the Ducati takes the pie.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-02-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #6669
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
5'10! I had an '07 GSXR before the 848, and my 848 was easier to tool on than my GSXR. Night and day difference between the two, and the Ducati takes the pie.
Good, we're the same height.

Yeah, i hate gixxers too. whenever i touch my boy's i cut something. even for simple jobs. damn gixxers.

so in the gixxer, TO ME i feel like im sitting IN the saddle/bike, rather than ON like i do with Yamahas and Hondas.
Ive sat on 1098's and 848's and 749's and the tanks always feel loong, like nut crushing long. I wonder however, if this is even noticable once you take off.
Theyre narrow bikes, and i dont mind that, but im wondering do they feel any kinda weird when leaned over. The SVs ive ridden always feel like i can lean for daaaaaaaaaaayyys compared to i4 bikes. Is that the same feeling with a
Duc or is it difference because youre stretched out more and in the race position?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #6670
M3Inline6

Quote:
Good, we're the same height.

Yeah, i hate gixxers too. whenever i touch my boy's i cut something. even for simple jobs. damn gixxers.

so in the gixxer, TO ME i feel like im sitting IN the saddle/bike, rather than ON like i do with Yamahas and Hondas.
Ive sat on 1098's and 848's and 749's and the tanks always feel loong, like nut crushing long. I wonder however, if this is even noticable once you take off.
Theyre narrow bikes, and i dont mind that, but im wondering do they feel any kinda weird when leaned over. The SVs ive ridden always feel like i can lean for daaaaaaaaaaayyys compared to i4 bikes. Is that the same feeling with a
Duc or is it difference because youre stretched out more and in the race position?
The tanks on the 848/1X98 are longer, and they are more narrow than other sportbikes. I didn't notice it at all, especially at the track; on the street, the longer tank can cause some discomfort on really long trips if you're not used to it. The longer tank put me in the ideal riding position (..for my body type); my taller friends had issues. The Ducati's feel poised when leaned over, and they are confidence inspiring (..like a BMW). They also conserve tires very, very well.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-02-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #6671
Snik
OEM ///Member

with this i am pleased
Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #6672
jsur

My Ride: is now my cousin's
Quote:
Agreed! Termi's are the worst (...at least the consumer grade stuff is). Bad quality, shitty welds, no durability.....all for an inflated price.
I have nothing else to compare them to Everyone I know that has a 848/1x98 has the Termi exhaust. Does sound damn good though.
jsur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #6673
M3Inline6

Quote:
I have nothing else to compare them to Everyone I know that has a 848/1x98 has the Termi exhaust. Does sound damn good though.
Spend some time on the Ducati forums, and you can find thread after thread about Termi quality (..or lack thereof). Your average Ducati buyer will purchase Termi's because:
  1. ...unless they've followed Ducati's for some time, they don't know any better.
  2. ...of the name brand recognition.
  3. ...the dealership has sold them some hogwash about warranty.
  4. ..."it's what everybody else buys for their Italian beauty" (..think BBS to BMW, but without the quality reputation).

I went from an OEM Titanium 1098R exhaust to the Arrow Titanium unit. Now THAT exhaust sounds badass! The Ducati twin generally sounds good regardless, and it's distinctive. I can tell if a bike is a Ducati just by hearing it pass by.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-02-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #6674
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
put it this way. those in the know, will gut the stock cans before they even try some Termi's on a deal.

Ive heard them with Akrapovic, and Arrow and a few others. by far the Arrow and Akra are the best sounding.
Arata if you can find out, as theyre out of production i heard. Arata exhausts are
Old 04-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #6675
M3Inline6

Quote:
put it this way. those in the know, will gut the stock cans before they even try some Termi's on a deal.

Ive heard them with Akrapovic, and Arrow and a few others. by far the Arrow and Akra are the best sounding.
Arata if you can find out, as theyre out of production i heard. Arata exhausts are
The titanium Arata's are nice, and "affordable" in comparison to its Termi counterpart/competition. I almost purchased an Arata full system, but had already invested in the Quat D mid-pipe and I wanted to keep my Arrow slips.

Beautiful Arrows:

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-02-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #6676
Snik
OEM ///Member

good thing you didnt, parts are almost non existent for arata pipes.
whats this quad D you speak of?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #6677
M3Inline6

Quote:
good thing you didnt, parts are almost non existent for arata pipes.
whats this quad D you speak of?
Real popular mid-pipe option for those who want to run a particular slip-on. Arata's, Termi's, etc. come with their own cans. Quat D's mid-pipe bypasses the butterfly valve too.

Here is a picture of the QD mid-pipe that was on my bike (..but that's not my bike pictured):

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-02-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #6678
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Real popular mid-pipe option for those who want to run a particular slip-on. Arata's, Termi's, etc. come with their own cans. Quat D's mid-pipe eliminates the butterfly valve too.
ah, ok, kinda like the R1s, gets rid of the cats and make your slip ons kinda a 3/4 system?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #6679
M3Inline6

Quote:
ah, ok, kinda like the R1s, gets rid of the cats and make your slip ons kinda a 3/4 system?
More or less. All you'd need was software to make it a "complete" system, and there were/are a lot of options for software. I added a photo above.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 04-02-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #6680
Snik
OEM ///Member

now with the Japanese bike, you can run a full system, but you'll smell like gas cause its so rich, if it has no PC3/5 bazzaz, ecu whatever. Will the duc even run right without the software upgrade on a full system? It always seem like people ALWAYS do the software upgrade with full systems, what if you just go bazzaz or something, with stock ECU software and a full system, will it be the same effect, or do Ducs like do a full transformation with the software change.