E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #7801
itzdylan24

My Ride: Not a BMW
Send a message via AIM to itzdylan24
Does anybody have a harley sportster? 2005ish. if so how does it perform in general if i may ask?

I'm coming from riding an r6 and I'm looking for a change of riding style, i've never ridden a harley so I'm not even sure if I would like it. Looking to use it as a daily, school work etc.
itzdylan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #7802
SJTrance

My Ride: Ducati 900SS
I've ridden one. Before I got my bike, I've been thinking that I need to ride a cruiser rather than a sportbike. The biggest issue for me was what my back was uncomfortable within 45 mins of riding it. The other weird issue was that I was dragging peg all over the place which was so disconcerting. I was by no means an aggressive deep leaning rider; especially at that time. The great thing about Harleys is that you can easily rent them for a day or two and see what it feels like. Try that and then report back.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #7803
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Right now I'm riding for "team out of a bike ". I have basically narrowed my options down to the BMW, a Panigale 1199 or the lower cc version of the Panigale that is due to debut (...although I think the cc's are rumored to be more than 848 ). BMW debuted the HP4 version of the RR, so I'm waiting to see what happens with that as well.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Bimmer App

FZ1 & R6 by Almond Imaging, on Flickr, on Flickr

Here was one of the guys who parked next to us while we took a break from riding. It sounds like pure motorsport testosterone while idling, and pure insanity while revving.

Panigale by Almond Imaging, on Flickr

A whole bunch of guys have either the Panigale or the Panigale Tri-Colore S around where I live, so I'm constantly being bombarded with awesomeness in the local canyons.

I too would go for the BMW though, as the Panigale is truly dedicated to ONLY supersport/hypersport riding, while the BMW seems to be incredible at everything.

What is this HP4 you speak of??
-Chris
Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #7804
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
The paintable is growing on me. It looks great on the throttle side, but still weird on the gear/clutch side.
I still can't get over the shocks location.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #7805
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
The paintable is growing on me. It looks great on the throttle side, but still weird on the gear/clutch side.
I still can't get over the shocks location.
Agreed. That sh;t looks outrageous.
-Chris
Old 09-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #7806
Snik
OEM ///Member

Damn auto correct. I meant panigalle
Old 09-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #7807
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
So who's had their bikes on the track?
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #7808
Carbon///M3

My Ride: e46 M3 yet again!
Send a message via AIM to Carbon///M3
heres mine which I sold earlier this year when I was in somewhat of a financial bind, built her from stock.. REALLY wish I hadn't sold it now so mad about that oh well though.. will do one up similar one day..

have owned quite a few

guys who are saying they are considering one, just please be careful n smart.. so many people who ride these, shouldn't lol

this pic was before I powder coated all of the silver stuff black..

fker was LOW!!

Last edited by Carbon///M3; 09-04-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Carbon///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #7809
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce1 View Post
A few of us. Why?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #7810
Pierce1

Just curious. I took mine to the track last week and though I was in the level 1 group, i.e. Rookies, I found that even though I was getting passed on the straightaways, they were slowing me down in the corners.
I also demo'd a S1000RR and experienced the front of my helmet pressed against my face going down the straightaway. Do all you sport bike riders experience that at high speed?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #7811
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon///M3 View Post
What is the point of stretching a bike? (srs question)
Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #7812
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K5 325i View Post
A whole bunch of guys have either the Panigale or the Panigale Tri-Colore S around where I live, so I'm constantly being bombarded with awesomeness in the local canyons.

I too would go for the BMW though, as the Panigale is truly dedicated to ONLY supersport/hypersport riding, while the BMW seems to be incredible at everything.

What is this HP4 you speak of??
-Chris
I am very much a hypersport rider, which is why certain bikes speak to me more than others. The HP4 you ask? Well here it is:

Sex!

Quote:
To echo Snik......A few of us....why? Some of us are primarily track day riders/national racers.
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #7813
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Just curious. I took mine to the track last week and though I was in the level 1 group, i.e. Rookies, I found that even though I was getting passed on the straightaways, they were slowing me down in the corners.
I also demo'd a S1000RR and experienced the front of my helmet pressed against my face going down the straightaway. Do all you sport bike riders experience that at high speed?
a lil bit... but ive noticed that the better fitting my helmet is and the better i tuck the less that happens.
Thats good that theyre holding you up in corners, keep going and you may make it to the front of the pack and become a big fish in a small pond. Thats fun as hell till they bump you to the next group, they youre small fish again. but you learn more and get faster as you progress.

Been doing trackdays a few years, did my 1st one in 08, been rough the last 3 years tho, id say between 2010 and now, ive only done maybe 8.
im hoping to change that next year and start going frequently again.

This october will make it 1 whole year since ive done a track day, at the rate im going im kinda thinking about starting over in the little group.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #7814
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
a lil bit... but ive noticed that the better fitting my helmet is and the better i tuck the less that happens.
Thats good that theyre holding you up in corners, keep going and you may make it to the front of the pack and become a big fish in a small pond. Thats fun as hell till they bump you to the next group, they youre small fish again. but you learn more and get faster as you progress.

Been doing trackdays a few years, did my 1st one in 08, been rough the last 3 years tho, id say between 2010 and now, ive only done maybe 8.
im hoping to change that next year and start going frequently again.

This october will make it 1 whole year since ive done a track day, at the rate im going im kinda thinking about starting over in the little group.
I haven't done a track day since January-ish, and I already feel like a rookie again. I think I spent upwards of $2k in 2011 on track days, and about the same amount the year before. Fontana is tits expensive!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #7815
itzdylan24

My Ride: Not a BMW
Send a message via AIM to itzdylan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTrance View Post
I've ridden one. Before I got my bike, I've been thinking that I need to ride a cruiser rather than a sportbike. The biggest issue for me was what my back was uncomfortable within 45 mins of riding it. The other weird issue was that I was dragging peg all over the place which was so disconcerting. I was by no means an aggressive deep leaning rider; especially at that time. The great thing about Harleys is that you can easily rent them for a day or two and see what it feels like. Try that and then report back.
I think you have to be at least 22ish to rent I've already set up an appointment with a local hd dealer, because im "interested" in one they have in stock.....hahah....MUAHHAAHAHA
itzdylan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #7816
Pierce1

The thing that was bugging me was that I don't ride a sport bike and it was the rookie(track) sport bike riders that were slowing me down in the corners. Now I must admit that I knew the track better than they as I have driven my car with the CCA on that track a ton of times just never the bike.
I was riding my 03 R1150RT. 640 pounds and 95hp. At the slow speed corners, 35ish mph the group would bunch up.
About my helmet issue I'm sure I just wasn't tucking down on the S1000RR enough. I'm just not used to doing that. Never had to.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #7817
Snik
OEM ///Member

Geez u rode that tank on track. Lol. Must've been fun and hard at the same time
Old 09-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #7818
M3Inline6

Quote:
The thing that was bugging me was that I don't ride a sport bike and it was the rookie(track) sport bike riders that were slowing me down in the corners. Now I must admit that I knew the track better than they as I have driven my car with the CCA on that track a ton of times just never the bike.
I was riding my 03 R1150RT. 640 pounds and 95hp. At the slow speed corners, 35ish mph the group would bunch up.
About my helmet issue I'm sure I just wasn't tucking down on the S1000RR enough. I'm just not used to doing that. Never had to.

I remember a long time ago a control rider said, "Steve....you're fast as hell in the corners, but slow on the straights. WTF? Open that bitch up!" It would annoy the hell out of me when a rookie on a liter bike would blast me on the straights, then park the bike in the corners. Soooooo annoying!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 09-05-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #7819
Adamo99

My Ride: e39 530i, e93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
What is the point of stretching a bike? (srs question)
To see who can have the most uberghey bike in da hood.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #7820
SJTrance

My Ride: Ducati 900SS
I had that same situation with the slower riders on much faster bikes. I just learned to power out of the corners much better so that they won't be able to catch up to me at the end of the straights. Awesome feeling! Still, I'm slow as porridge but it's nice to know that I'm a bit faster than some of the guys.