E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #7961
Pasha

My Ride: E30
TT rider Luis Carreira killed at Macau GP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motorsport/20343524

Quote:
Portuguese TT rider Luis Carreira has died after a crash in qualification for Saturday's Macau Grand Prix.

Organisers have confirmed that the 35-year-old succumbed to injuries sustained after he crashed on Fisherman's Bend at the Guia circuit.

The session was red flagged as medical teams attended to Carreira at the site of the accident and he was evacuated by ambulance to a local hospital.

He was pronounced dead 20 minutes after arriving at the hospital.

No other riders were involved in the accident and organisers abandoned the qualifying session.

Carreira had been racing for the Bennimoto Raider-Cetelem team.

A statement from the Macau Grand Prix committee said: "The Macau Grand Prix Committee has contacted the family and the members of the team, and the Committee expresses its sincere condolences."

Carreira made his debut at the TT in 2009 and his highest finish at the Isle of Man event was 13th in the 2011 Superstock race.
RIP
Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #7962
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
So I'll most likely be checking out at least one used bike this weekend. What kinds of things should I be looking for, other than the obvious items like cosmetic damage, tires, straight forks...
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #7963
Pasha

Oh look at that.... Justin fukin' Bieber...

Supposedly he is squidding in my neck of the woods, what a funny encounter that would've been...
Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #7964
Pasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
So I'll most likely be checking out at least one used bike this weekend. What kinds of things should I be looking for, other than the obvious items like cosmetic damage, tires, straight forks...
Are you going to be able to test drive it? At least turn it on and let it idle.. make sure it doesn't over heat and that the fan turns on at the appropriate interval. Check for leaks (on the forks, too) and just listen to the engine when it's on.

Best of all would be to take it to an independent mechanic for a PPI.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #7965
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #7966
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasha View Post
Oh look at that.... Justin fukin' Bieber...
[/IMG]

Supposedly he is squidding in my neck of the woods, what a funny encounter that would've been...
Jesus, he looks like a child on that.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #7967
OOMPH!

My Ride: '04 M3, '89 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohde88 View Post
Jesus, he looks like a child on that.
He is a child. Plus he weighs about 75 pounds.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #7968
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
I realize this is a sportbike thread, but fvck it, I'm breaking the rules

From Turn 12 at Circuit of the Americas a few hours ago.

My mind is still blown by the speed and sound of those cars. Cannot fvcking wait to see Moto GP here.

You guys need to make a road trip out here

Felipe Massa

Last edited by Ghostie; 11-16-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #7969
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
It's gonna be good.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #7970
E92M

My Ride: '08 M3 | '03 R6
Just went outside to snap a few new pics with a bad-ass new lens I picked up! I know they're high-res, but I couldn't justify shrinking them any smaller! Especially the B&W one!

The Fleet by Almond Imaging, on Flickr

Rexy B&W by Almond Imaging, on Flickr

Rexy and Mountains by Almond Imaging, on Flickr

-Chris
Old 11-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #7971
Pasha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=GLgyZca8lOE
Old 11-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #7972
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
so i just finished day 1 of the MSF course and i could use a couple tips. i'm not really picking up riding as easily as i thought i would. i'm having trouble negotiating turns because i think i'm going through them too slowly. the engine starts puttering and i get scared and start to disengage the clutch while giving it more gas. i can't downshift because i'm in 1st. should i just be leaving the clutch alone and throttling up?

also, when i'm turning, should i be pushing forward with my outer hand or pulling the handlebar with my inner hand (i.e. if turning left, should i pull with my left hand, push forward with my right, or both?)?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #7973
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
so i just finished day 1 of the MSF course and i could use a couple tips. i'm not really picking up riding as easily as i thought i would. i'm having trouble negotiating turns because i think i'm going through them too slowly. the engine starts puttering and i get scared and start to disengage the clutch while giving it more gas. i can't downshift because i'm in 1st. should i just be leaving the clutch alone and throttling up?

also, when i'm turning, should i be pushing forward with my outer hand or pulling the handlebar with my inner hand (i.e. if turning left, should i pull with my left hand, push forward with my right, or both?)?
If it's a very slow turn, you will probably need to slip the clutch so you can keep the RPMs up where the engine is smooth, but only a little bit of the power goes to the wheel to keep you moving. Also, if you have ever noticed, when you initiate a left turn when riding normally, you actually turn the wheel to the right (push left, turn left), but at slow speeds you have to keep the bike more upright and turn the wheel in the direction you want to go.

They usually say "push left, turn left", but I do both push or pull the opposite side. It depends on what feels better to you.

My best advice for the slow turns is just relax and look ahead where you want to go. Don't lose your momentum

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #7974
trippmann

Send a message via AIM to trippmann
Push in the direction you want to go, I.e. right turn push right bar. Low speed stuff your going to have to learn, know, and practice with the friction zone. Im sure they have covered that

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
trippmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #7975
Pierce1

My Ride: 03 330xi
Practice practice practice.
Pierce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #7976
ElectricRed46

My Ride: 2004 325i
go to an open parking lot and learn your turns there, also learn and get the feel for counter-steering. Push left go left, push right go right. its a weird concept bc you think if you push left that it turns the wheel to the right(which it does) but it actually naturally leans the bike over just enough to turn. watch some motogp videos and watch those guys when theyre making a sharp right turn the front wheel is actually pointing to the left. its a crazy and cool feeling
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #7977
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricRed46 View Post
go to an open parking lot and learn your turns there, also learn and get the feel for counter-steering. Push left go left, push right go right. its a weird concept bc you think if you push left that it turns the wheel to the right(which it does) but it actually naturally leans the bike over just enough to turn. watch some motogp videos and watch those guys when theyre making a sharp right turn the front wheel is actually pointing to the left. its a crazy and cool feeling
I agree with the parking lot and the counter-steering while riding. But if you look at motogp videos, even when going through sharp turns they still have a bit of speed behind them... when he's doing the MSF course he doesn't have much speed so it's harder to counter-steer.

You need to learn the friction zone (first thing we did in MSF), and you need to learn how to control it during a slow speed turn, especially u-turns. Also don't be afraid to give it a little bit more gas before you enter the turn
Old 11-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #7978
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
If it's a very slow turn, you will probably need to slip the clutch so you can keep the RPMs up where the engine is smooth, but only a little bit of the power goes to the wheel to keep you moving. Also, if you have ever noticed, when you initiate a left turn when riding normally, you actually turn the wheel to the right (push left, turn left), but at slow speeds you have to keep the bike more upright and turn the wheel in the direction you want to go.

They usually say "push left, turn left", but I do both push or pull the opposite side. It depends on what feels better to you.

My best advice for the slow turns is just relax and look ahead where you want to go. Don't lose your momentum
let's say i'm in 2nd gear in the same situation (rounding a turn and engine's close to stalling b/c im not giving enough gas). is it improper to go easy on the clutch while giving it a little more gas? do i have to shift back into 1st?

i used to drive stick (but havent in a couple years) and i never downshifted into 1st in such a situation. i dont know if i'm just flustered with the added task of balancing the bike, but the bike keeps on jerking around when i'm not going fast enough and i have trouble bringing it back into gear when i'm in 2nd

Last edited by Mike Larry; 11-24-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #7979
kuksul08

Well switching to 1st would usually make sense, but it can be a bit jerky unless you rev match it well. You can always slip the clutch and stay in 2nd. Just puts more wear on the clutch.

Practice your throttle control too. You have to be very smooth and don't let your body or the bike jerking affect the throttle because it will only make it worse. Support yourself with your torso and use your arms only for control.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #7980
kuksul08

Another option is you can kick the back end out in a wild drift with one hand giving a thumbs-up